Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
BARUCH HASHEM!!
1  2  Next

smileyface:)

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 5:06 pm
As far as I can tell there were no attacks today !! Batting Eyelashes

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 5:14 pm
no actual attacks, I think, but many many almosts.

chaiz

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 5:19 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
no actual attacks, I think, but many many almosts.

Thanks to Hashem for giving us a great army that is composed of many hardworking and smart guys to help us stop terror attacks.

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 5:36 pm
and its the first day back in yeshiva!

pickle321

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 6:03 pm
smileyface:) wrote:
and its the first day back in yeshiva!

It was the third day back. Tuesday was the first day.

israelgirl

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 6:08 pm
Wednesday as far as I'm concerned, which is still chavrusa tumult. Today was the first day of full learning. If we're wanting to get technical...

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 6:32 pm
oh my son started seiously today - full day

noosheen

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 7:13 pm
On a more serious note....
My daughter lives in Israel with 2 small kids. She had a baby approx 2 months ago. She is a normally very level headed girl and a real trooper. But she sounds very very affected with the situation. She says she's scared to leave her apt. She says she wakes up every morning and does not know it today will be her last day. I very worried. about her. I asked her if all her friends are feeling like this and she says yes. She says every one is feeling the same: Israelis, Americans, all of them. I thought living through the war 2 summers ago was worse but she doesn't agree. Maybe it's a cumulative thing. There is only so much one can handle? She is not planning on living there long term. I wish she'd just come home already. What do I say to give her encouragement?

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 7:17 pm
I spoke to my daughter in seminary about 5 minutes ago and shes not at all bothered and shes in yerushalayim. ok she isnt living there like your daughter so its different. tell her that hashem watches over us. and she should say tehillim if that helps. for me it does. she should take deep breathing. and talk to hashem. and ask him in her own language, hashem please watch over me. does this sound good?

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 10:15 pm
It must be harder with postpartum hormones. Everything is harder when you have a newborn, IMHO. The maternal mechanisms in you are wired for anxiety. Talk to your SIL to make sure he knows how important it is to support her emotionally and take care of her, and encourage therapy if either of them feels it would be beneficial.

noosheen

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 11:01 pm
You are right. I agree about hormones playing a role here. My sil is very understanding but.... Not sure he really can grasp how hard it is for her and all the young mothers who look after the little ones all day.

Thanks for the reply. I just try to tell her, this too shall pass, just like all the other times things have gotten scary. But still, I'm not there, and can't imagine how hard it must me.

etky

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 1:02 am
chaiz wrote:
Thanks to Hashem for giving us a great army that is composed of many hardworking and smart guys to help us stop terror attacks.

Just wanted to add that really more than anyone, the police force probably deserves the most credit. They are the most directly involved in the current situation, especially the "Yassam" units - the special anti-terror patrol, sort of like the riot police. Also the Border Police- a unit that gets its manpower from the IDF. But even ordinary police men and women have been called upon to work many more hours than normal and be on call far beyond what is normal for them, and in very violatile situations.
Of course there are chayalim involved too (especially in the armed confrontations that have been taking place in the Palestinian towns and guarding roads and checkpoints etc.) and starting from Sunday many, many more soldiers who have been called in to protect public transportation in Jerusalem, guard city centers and other assignments.
Also, the Shabak (GSS) and other police and military intelligence services behind the scenes. W/o their input there would be many, many fewer attacks thwarted. B'H, the vast majority of attacks never happen or are thwarted on the ground b/c of their efforts.
Lastly, the alert men and women - ordinary citizens on the scene, who have engaged and apprehended many of the stabbers mid-attack. Some are armed but others have used whatever they had on them like umbrellas and selfie-sticks to stop the terrorists in their tracks and even pursue them when they try to flee.

happy to be me

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 1:14 am
sourstix wrote:
I spoke to my daughter in seminary about 5 minutes ago and shes not at all bothered and shes in yerushalayim. ok she isnt living there like your daughter so its different. tell her that hashem watches over us. and she should say tehillim if that helps. for me it does. she should take deep breathing. and talk to hashem. and ask him in her own language, hashem please watch over me. does this sound good?

From what I understand, most seminaries are on lockdown and don't allow the girls to leave the building. That may be why she is calm. All her needs are being met and she doesn't need to step out of her security and comfort.

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 1:22 am
Seminary girls also seem to naturally have a higher threshold of danger tolerance (think hanging over cliffs for the photo op) than mothers of babies.

Noosheen, don't assume that "this too will pass." Postpartum stress can have lasting effects on some people. Please keep an eye on her emotional health. Hopefully she will come through this healthy but if she seems to develop trauma or lasting/extreme anxiety, please encourage and support her in getting help. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure especially when it comes to postpartum issues where the person is in a more delicate state than usual and needs their full strength to return.

m in Israel

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 1:55 am
noosheen wrote:
On a more serious note....
I thought living through the war 2 summers ago was worse but she doesn't agree. Maybe it's a cumulative thing. There is only so much one can handle?

I know this was really just a side point, but most people I know (including myself) do feel that as far as preventing us from living normal lives, this is definitely "worse" than the war. Especially after the first few days, once it became clear that BH the iron dome system was working so well that there were virtually no civilian casualties, most people I know pretty much went about their normal lives. True running to the mamad constantly was extremely nerve-wracking -- but the fear that exists now, of never knowing where the next attack is going to come from, and not knowing if/how you will be able to defend yourself, is psychologically extremely stressful -- which, of course, is the whole idea behind "terrorism". There is no "azaka", no clear course of action, and no clear way of identifying the threat until it is actually happening.

cityofgold

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 1:57 am
The war last year was less frightening for many people in Yerushalayim because we did not have many sirens here. It had less immediate feel of danger. Also, think about it--sirens in Ym meant a 90-second window to get to a basement. It was awful to worry for everyone else in Israel, and for the soldiers, but you didn't worry when you went about your daily errands.

Random stabbing and shooting attacks are MUCH more immediately terrifying. They come out of nowhere, there's nowhere to run, and they are happening on streets and buses where we go every day. I was on the same street as one of the attacks, picking something up at a store I often go to.

I don't think everyone is feeling terrified, but plenty are. And many seminary girls and yeshiva boys live happily under the teenage delusion that they are immortal, so they don't count.

etky

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 1:59 am
m in Israel wrote:
I know this was really just a side point, but most people I know (including myself) do feel that as far as preventing us from living normal lives, this is definitely "worse" than the war. Especially after the first few days, once it became clear that BH the iron dome system was working so well that there were virtually no civilian casualties, most people I know pretty much went about their normal lives. True running to the mamad constantly was extremely nerve-wracking -- but the fear that exists now, of never knowing where the next attack is going to come from, and not knowing if/how you will be able to defend yourself, is psychologically extremely stressful -- which, of course, is the whole idea behind "terrorism". There is no "azaka", no clear course of action, and no clear way of identifying the threat until it is actually happening.

This - and also b/c the threat has become very up front and personal. More graphic and far less 'theoretical' than a missile launched many miles away.

noosheen

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 6:26 am
Seeker - when I wrote "this too shall pass", I was referring to the situation in Israel, not her hormonal state. In regards to her hormonal state, it's so hard to really know what's happening when I'm so far away with only phone calls. But I hear from her voice , she does not sound herself at all.
Thank u for the replies; she was trying to explain all that to me - the not knowing from where and which animal the next hit will come from. Understandably, She is petrified when seeing any Arab looking person. When she comes home it will take her a long time not to feel fear when seeing one. There are loads of Muslims in our country - canada-(toronto). I was telling her yesterday that although I don't like seeing them here , I don't fear for my life when one is next to me in the streets. She could not understand that! It almost sounds like PTSD.

Sanguine

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 7:19 am
Reading the posts here about how the war last summer wasn't such a big deal cause after awhile we knew the drill... You're all very Israeli now with a very short memory "It never rains in June" (except when it does Wink ) . Go back to the panicky posts on LII last summer. Nobody here was saying "No big deal". Everyone was jumpy then too. Go read some of the threads from then. This one is harder cause it's NOW. Everything is hard when you feel you have no control of your life. But people should realize that things are already more under control. There are already fewer attacks cause we're more prepared now. There are more police and army everywhere. People are more alert (no more texting while you wait for a bus). People are going out "armed", whether it's people taking their personal gun with them, carrying a stick, umbrella or pepper spray... At any attack some other citizens are prepared to jump in and help attack the terrorist. And everyone is looking.

People should go out in crowds with other people. Even stick to a stranger on the street who looks like he'd protect you. And get yourself protection (like pepper spray). You should feel in control (even if you're not always). This will pass and life will go back to normal, but for now. take control of your life

etky

Post Fri, Oct 16 2015, 7:33 am
Sanguine wrote:
Reading the posts here about how the war last summer wasn't such a big deal cause after awhile we knew the drill... You're all very Israeli now with a very short memory "It never rains in June" (except when it does Wink ) . Go back to the panicky posts on LII last summer. Nobody here was saying "No big deal". Everyone was jumpy then too. Go read some of the threads from then. This one is harder cause it's NOW. Everything is hard when you feel you have no control of your life. But people should realize that things are already more under control. There are already fewer attacks cause we're more prepared now. There are more police and army everywhere. People are more alert (no more texting while you wait for a bus). People are going out "armed", whether it's people taking their personal gun with them, carrying a stick, umbrella or pepper spray... At any attack some other citizens are prepared to jump in and help attack the terrorist. And everyone is looking.

People should go out in crowds with other people. Even stick to a stranger on the street who looks like he'd protect you. And get yourself protection (like pepper spray). You should feel in control (even if you're not always). This will pass and life will go back to normal, but for now. take control of your life

I disagree. We were jumpy and nervous during the war. We were upset that our lives were being disrupted. Now we're scared in a way that recalls the Second Intifada. And we fear for our lives and those of our loved ones because this threat is far more insidious and potentially widespread.
I agree though that we are getting used to the situation and developing coping tactics that restore our sense of safety and also actually frustrate the successful execution of the attacks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics