Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Starting solids-clueless

muss

Post Sat, Oct 17 2015, 5:43 pm
I'm starting my dd on solids and need some information. Until now I've been nursing exclusively. Once she starts solids does that mean I can nurse less? How much do I start off with? Any other info would be helpful. Thanks

working hard

Post Sat, Oct 17 2015, 6:27 pm
None of my kids ever nursed less when I started solids. They kept up nursing and took more solids as they grew older until I weaned them and gave even more food.
The first few weeks of solids anyway is getting used to it and not much nutrition

littleprincess

Post Sat, Oct 17 2015, 7:21 pm
Try to get him used to healthy food.
I used to cook a soup and blend the vegetables. Took out the vegetables before I added salt. After a while I also added chicken to the blender
I never nursed less after starting solids. Still nursed every 3 hours till baby was about a year old.

cbg

Post Sat, Oct 17 2015, 8:11 pm
Start with one food at a time, for 3 days, and see how baby reacts.
BM, rash, anything different.
Foods you can start with
Butternut squash
Pumpkin
Carrot
Sweet potato
Peas
Avocado
Banana
Pear
Apple

Boil a few piece, mash it well, use the liquid (not all of it) to thin it out to a smooth consistency.

Once you know your baby has no reaction to any food, then you can make a big pot of mixed veggies,purée it all together. You can freeze the food in ice cube trays if you don't have time to make fresh everyday.

pesek zman

Post Sat, Oct 17 2015, 8:12 pm
How old is your baby?

muss

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:15 am
I'm planning on starting to give it just once a day for supper when should I give more?

smss

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:20 am
Until 1 year, solids should NOT replace nursing (despite what any babysitters may tell you...). That means that you keep on nursing as much as you always did and just add solids too.

If your baby is 6-8 months (earliest you should really start solids anyway) you can give very soft finger food- carrots from the soup, avocado, etc and let her feed herself. She will take what she needs. It IS possible to overfeed very watery baby food.

baschabad

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:21 am
Let baby guide you. If s/he doesn't want to eat, don't push it. Start by offering once a day, work up to more often and more filling foods.
Baby should be at least 6 months, but that doesn't mean that babies reach six months and are suddenly starving for solids. Let your baby be your guide!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics