Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Mother-baby connection

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Oct 17 2015, 10:27 pm
Just wondering if this is a normal maternal instinct that others also have:

Any time my 6-week old baby so much as whimpers I jolt awake, and it's like I physically feel his whimper. Kind of like some sort of psychic connection or something.

Normal maternal instinct or hypersensitivity?

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Oct 17 2015, 10:32 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Just wondering if this is a normal maternal instinct that others also have:

Any time my 6-week old baby so much as whimpers I jolt awake, and it's like I physically feel his whimper. Kind of like some sort of psychic connection or something.

Normal maternal instinct or hypersensitivity?

I have this too. I actually feel it a minute BEFORE they make noise/wake-up.
Not just by babies. I have a 6 year old and 4 year old too, and I have the same thing.

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Oct 17 2015, 11:04 pm
Normal. I coslept with mine when she was a newborn, and as I see it it's an important instinct that Hashem gave us to notice where our babies are even when we're asleep. For most of history, we haven't had CPSC-certified cribs.

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 6:49 pm
Completely normal. I've definitely come across some articles- don't remember whether they were in newspapers or scientific ones- discussing how mothers' sleep quality is majorly affected by co-sleeping for this exact reason. (I'm all for co-sleeping, but you have to acknowledge it's true!)

When you're not the one losing sleep, you can marvel at how beautiful the bond is between mother and child. When you are the one losing sleep, you probably want to weigh the pros and cons of sleeping in the same room. (Again, I slept in the same room with my baby for months and months on end. I'm not advocating one way or the other.) Do the benefits of sleeping in the same room outweigh the negative effects of your disjointed sleep? Re-evaluate every so often to make sure your answer hasn't changed...

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 6:57 pm
TeachersNotebook wrote:
Completely normal. I've definitely come across some articles- don't remember whether they were in newspapers or scientific ones- discussing how mothers' sleep quality is majorly affected by co-sleeping for this exact reason. (I'm all for co-sleeping, but you have to acknowledge it's true!)

When you're not the one losing sleep, you can marvel at how beautiful the bond is between mother and child. When you are the one losing sleep, you probably want to weigh the pros and cons of sleeping in the same room. (Again, I slept in the same room with my baby for months and months on end. I'm not advocating one way or the other.) Do the benefits of sleeping in the same room outweigh the negative effects of your disjointed sleep? Re-evaluate every so often to make sure your answer hasn't changed...

I actually don't cosleep. My kids are down the hall and I still feel it. It's a bit creepy.

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 9:08 pm
amother wrote:
I actually don't cosleep. My kids are down the hall and I still feel it. It's a bit creepy.

Ya, Sienna, I noticed you mentioned your 4 and 6yos, and I was wondering how that works. You must be an incredibly light sleeper. Wow! Have you tried sleeping with a sound machine or some background noise?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics