Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Texas Smokehouse Cholent

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:13 am
This is another cholent variety from Gemstone Caterers in New York. They specialize in a "cholent bar" at functions and did a kosher popup BBQ event there. I've never had their food but maybe someone from back East has gone to an event they catered?

Notes at bottom are from Ari White (Got Cholent Catering).

Texas Smokehouse Cholent
Source: Gemstone Caterers

INGREDIENTS

1 lb Naval Pastrami
1 lb 2nd Cut Brisket or Flanken
1 lb Bullet of Salami
1-2 Marrow Bones
4 Lg Potatoes- Peeled
1 Lg Sweet Potato-Peeled
5 Cloves of Garlic-Crushed
1/2 Cup of Mixed Beans soaked in Water Overnight (1 can of cooked beans works too)
2 onions
2 tsp Chile Powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Instant Coffee
1/2 tsp Chipotle Powder or dash of Cayenne for Heat
1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce (Bull's Eye or Cattlemans recommended)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/2 lb Kishke cut into 3 Slices
1 can of Dr. Pepper ........Yes, Dr. Pepper!!!
3/4 lb Pearled Barley - Washed

PREPARATION

1 Place your onions, quartered, marrow bones and your brisket on a roasting pan and put under a broiler until both sides have good color, then place in crockpot

2 Cut your potatoes into managable pieces, ussualy 6-8 per potato and add to pot as well

3 Add Beans, remaining meats(whole not cut up), spices, ketchup, teriyaki, and BBQ sauce into the pot

4 Pour as evenly as possible your washed pearled barley over everything else

5 Add can of Dr Pepper.....trust me on this one!

6 Place the 3 slices of kishke in the center over your pile of barley

7 Fill to the brim with water & cover with lid.

8 For Automated Crockpots, set mode on High 6hrs then leave overnight....DON''T TOUCH!!!

9 For the oldschool Crockpots, set mode to high for at least 4 hours if possible and then low overnight

10 Before serving, take the crockpot container out and with either tongs or 2 large serving forks mix the entire pot well, breaking up the large slabs of meat in the process. I like to let everything sit for 10 minutes or so to set and cool down a bit.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS

The most important thing to remember when making cholent is that you can't mess up, so have fun! The recipe is adapted for use with a 6qt crockpot. More important then any recipe is to use what you have already in the fridge. Leftover pepper steak, chili, hash-browns, random marinades....the more the merrier. If you are missing any of the ingredients listed below, punt with what you have. Also, nobody likes cleaning up a crockpot after its 24 hours of diligent work for you. Large crockpot bags or turkey bags are safe, clean and a G'd-send.

mirimiri

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:46 am
Has anyone ever tried this? I'm wondering how it came out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus