Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
ISO sugar free snack alongside my coffee

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:33 am
I'm going sugar free for the next short while (hopefully I'll be able to stick to it for longer than that!) and am in search of a sugar free snack to eat along with my coffee in the am. Obviously, in the spirit of health and good nutrition, it should also be low fat. And I'd prefer no sugar alternatives, if such a thing exists, but if I have to I'll eat something with a sugar alternative once in a while.
Natural sugars (fruits, dairy) are fine, but no honey/agave etc.
Thanks!!

Can be homemade or store bought.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:43 am
Before you do this, do your research. There have been many things said wrong in nutrition that have been recently corrected. Low fat is considered bad for you now. Sugar is the worst, but you are going to want to add a lot of healthy fats. Fats actually help you lose weight and make you healthier. Saturated fats being bad was a myth. Canola is not good, but coconut oil, avocado oil, butter and lard are great for you. Be careful of the low fat thing. Not good at all.

Anon because this is my thing.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:47 am
amother wrote:
Before you do this, do your research. There have been many things said wrong in nutrition that have been recently corrected. Low fat is considered bad for you now. Sugar is the worst, but you are going to want to add a lot of healthy fats. Fats actually help you lose weight and make you healthier. Saturated fats being bad was a myth. Canola is not good, but coconut oil, avocado oil, butter and lard are great for you. Be careful of the low fat thing. Not good at all.

Anon because this is my thing.

I should've been clearer... I know all this. Didn't mean low fat as in substituted with chemicals, I meant low fat as in naturally low in fat.
(Btw I don't think adding A LOT of healthy fats is a good idea at all. The key is to get in enough, not to overdo it.)

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:54 am
I regularly eat bananas with my coffee. Dried dates works well too! I Lost 25 lbs in 8 months.

chani8

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:00 am
Make a batch of homemade oatmeal bars, and freeze them into serving sizes.

Though my breakfast consists of one egg fried lightly in olive oil like a pancake, topped with a teaspoon of (sugar free) jelly. Sometimes it's mixed with cocoa first. Other times it's topped with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:01 am
chani8 wrote:
Make a batch of homemade oatmeal bars, and freeze them into serving sizes.

Though my breakfast consists of one egg fried lightly in olive oil like a pancake, topped with a teaspoon of (sugar free) jelly. Sometimes it's mixed with cocoa first. Other times it's topped with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.

Do you have a recipe you can share for oatmeal bars?
(I also have eggs for breakfast. I don't have coffee with breakfast- I have it as a mid morning pick me up, and would like to find a snack for then)

chani8

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:33 am
I was just giving you an example. You can find lots of nice ideas online. We've been off sugar for a long time so oats are naturally sweet for us, but you are welcome to try this sugar free recipe. You can certainly add a sweetener to the dough if you need it.

Oatmeal dough:

500g of fine oats, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, lots (and lots) of cinnamon. Mix and then let sit in fridge for 1/2 hour.

Drop onto baking sheet for cookies. You can add a drop of jelly on top of the cookies before baking. Or three small bits of 85% chocolate are good too. Or chopped pecans. Or no topping. Whatever works for you.

For date bars, spread most of dough into baking pan and top with 100% date spread, top with rest of dough. If you do not want to use dates, you can use apples, chopped small, sauteed gently in a bit of healthy oil until soft.

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
I regularly eat bananas with my coffee. Dried dates works well too! I Lost 25 lbs in 8 months.

I also eat a banana with my coffee.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 10:11 am
My whole family loves these muffins. No grain, no added sugar and lots of protein.

1 cup nut butter of choice (we use almond)
2-3 bananas (over-ripe)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
10 drops stevia* (I have never used this because I hate the taste of stevia but also the bananas make it sweet enough for me)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 400. Blend all ingredients in blender or food processor. Poor into muffin tin (use cupcake papers). Bake 12-15 min.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking