Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
PLEASE READ:) Looking to help others suffering

Katie B

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 12:15 am
Hi, I am a person who has a great life, pretty much everything is going my way. At least it looks like that. However since I gave birth to my first child all the great parts of me, my talents and great parts of my personality haven't gone away however have been hidden under the dark cloud of mental illness. Thankfully my parents had the means to support me through the difficult journey of mental illness which includes psycho therapy and psychiatrists and meds.

However I do know not everyone could afford these treatments and I really can't understand how these women ever get back on their feet and don't give up. There is no organization that supports plus funds people with mental illness. I want to be the one to help people and raise money for this cause however I cannot do this myself. Please help me, fellow community members. Tips, comments, partners that want to join and support are all essential for this goal to be achieved.

busy mommy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 9:32 am
Wow! Mi Keamcha Yisroel! It should be with Hatzlacha

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 9:44 am
Bikur Cholim already does what you are looking for. Speak to them for ideas. Insurance also covers treatments and medications.

Also, this thread should be anonymous as most people won't want to share if they suffered from mental illness.

harriet

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 10:37 am
Squishy wrote:
Bikur Cholim already does what you are looking for. Speak to them for ideas. Insurance also covers treatments and medications.

Also, this thread should be anonymous as most people won't want to share if they suffered from mental illness.

To my knowledge (admittedly, mainly from reading threads on imamother), Bikur Cholim and insurance are limited in terms of what they will cover for therapy (if anything). Also, spouses of people with mental illness are rarely covered either of those and often desperately need therapy as well so I think perhaps a matching therapy fund (ie fund pays half, client pays half) is a great idea.

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 11:59 am
harriet wrote:
To my knowledge (admittedly, mainly from reading threads on imamother), Bikur Cholim and insurance are limited in terms of what they will cover for therapy (if anything). Also, spouses of people with mental illness are rarely covered either of those and often desperately need therapy as well so I think perhaps a matching therapy fund (ie fund pays half, client pays half) is a great idea.

When someone is in crises they need help beyond therapy. Bikur Cholim arranges meals. I know they arrange childcare and cleaning. They may be aware of what else might also need to be supplemented.

I don't know what is covered or not also often people can get counselling through insurance but they feel that someone else may be better for them so they pay out of pocket. I also don't have experience with this, however, I have friends who have needed support unfortunately. I was thinking what did they need.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 12:15 pm
As per obamacare, insurance in the u.s. Has to include mental health coverage for all. So the spouse of a patient is definitely covered to receive therapy.

However many insurances only cover a limited level of service. Specialized or alternative types of therapy are difficult or impossible to find in networks. Psychiatrists in particular, from the gist of imamother, are hard to get hold of through insurance. There also may be other areas in which support is needed. If the patient is unable to maintain employment, if kids need extra care so the spouse can focus more on helping the recoverer, these are just a couple of things I'm guessing at.

pumpernickle

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 1:32 pm
SPARKS does what youre lookingi to. Maybe you can team up with them?
Sparkscenter.org

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 1:52 pm
In my experience Sparks doesn't actually provide what is described here. Unless something changed. When I called them for help they provided very important validation and a listening ear, a recommendation of an alternative medicine doctor (who I paid for out of pocket, but I think they arranged a somewhat reduced rate. But I wasn't happy with him anyway.) and a recommendation of a couples therapist who they set up one free session but he basically spent that session roping us into long term therapy that we again had to scrape the bottom of our barrel to pay for. They set me up with a "big sister" who had BTDT and she called me exactly once, ever, just to introduce herself. And even that is only directed at PPD, not other forms of mental illness.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 2:18 pm
Don't forget Jewish Family Services. For people who live out of town, this is often the ONLY lifeline they have. JFS offers therapy, kosher food banks, job training, and budgeting advice, among other things.

Project Dvorah is also a very worthy cause.

Katie B

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 4:17 pm
Sparks doesnt give funds. I used them and actually had to pay for treatment. I wish I had a partner to start raising funds with.

blossoming

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 2:37 am
Katie B wrote:
Sparks doesnt give funds. I used them and actually had to pay for treatment. I wish I had a partner to start raising funds with.

I would love to be your partner! I'm in Israel, and I was just speaking to a lady yesterday at the park who said she's been suffering with post partrum depression for two years, and has zero money to get help. Her husband is not a good listener, and so she deals with all her emotions alone. You wouldnt belive how many there are like this!

mamamia1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 9:02 pm
I would love to be your partner! I'm in Israel, and I was just speaking to a lady yesterday at the park who said she's been suffering with post partrum depression for two years, and has zero money to get help. Her husband is not a good listener, and so she deals with all her emotions alone. You wouldnt belive how many there are like this![/quote]

There is an organization in Israel for women with postpartum - I have several friends who have worked for it- professionally . I think its called Tikvah and I will try to get you the contact info

Also, Katie - I wish I could help with your fantastic and generous idea- unfortunately I cant help financially but would love to help otherwise. I also can think of several friends I would forward your idea too,
Kol Hakovod

mamamia1

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 5:11 pm
blossoming wrote:
I would love to be your partner! I'm in Israel, and I was just speaking to a lady yesterday at the park who said she's been suffering with post partrum depression for two years, and has zero money to get help. Her husband is not a good listener, and so she deals with all her emotions alone. You wouldnt belive how many there are like this!

The organization in Israel is called Nitza
hotline 02-500 4523
nitza.org

Tziril Miriam

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 6:33 pm
If you are in the Boston area, McLean Hospital has a number of educational/participatory programs, free.

This is their Mental Health Resource Links:
http://www.mcleanhospital.org/.....links

Best wishes for you to find your own peace and happiness.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 8:06 pm
hi I would love to help you but financially I cant do much. I would help you. tell me what you need except money.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 8:07 pm
I agree with other poster people will respond anonymously better in mental health.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics