Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Will a professional organizer be helpful in my case?

cb

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 8:28 pm
Will a professional organizer be helpful in my case, in the long run?

I live in a small apartment and am so overwhelmed with all the stuff around. I used to be very organized but with having BH a bunch of little ones in a row, and working, I just dont have the time to put things where they belong etc. Or shall I say, sometimes I cant be bothered, too lazy after working a whole day.
Will a professional organizer be helpful in such a situation, meaning, yes she can do a great job, but if I do not follow up on it, put things where they belong, is there a point?

Dont want to spend all the money for no reason.

Hoping to hear from someone who also never too the time to clean and tidy up daily, but who did find a professional organizer helpful.

No need to advertise names, I already have a few. Just doing some research if its worth it in my case.

Thank you

morah

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 8:35 pm
I have a professional organizer come once a year. I find it helpful. Unfortunately, I can't maintain any system for more than two weeks, because I'm that bad, but I find it helpful because she keeps me accountable. She gives me the kick in the rear I need to get rid of stuff (whether by donation or garbage) which helps reduce clutter to a manageable amount even if I still struggle to keep stuff in place.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 9:11 pm
You may want to hire a professional organizer who, after helping you get your place in order, will follow up every month for an hour or so. Also, it sounds like you would benefit from better organizing your time in addition to your stuff, and some pro organizers can help with that as well.

amazingmommy

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 9:42 pm
A really good organizer will help u make a system where it will be easier for you to put things back from where they came. Such as a lot of containers. Labels. Etc. of course if you don't put things in its place it won't help.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 10:55 pm
Have you heard of marie kondo's book - japanese art of decluttering an her "konmari" system
if you have too much stuff to put away, maybe you have too much stuff
it's a revolutionary way of thinking. however I'm part of a few facebook groups dedicated to her method and person after person posts "if only I had done this years ago I would never have needed that cleaning lady all those years or that professional organizer"
check it out
anon bc I talk a lot about this IRL

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 8:37 am
I'm in the same situation, in a small apartment. The more kids I have the more clutter. It doesn't even interest me to clean up spotless because in 5 minutes the same spot is taken again. I learned to not notice and save my money for an organizer in my spacious apartment one day iyh. However, I do see that some small changes over the years such as hooks for the broom, backpack, coats ect make a huge difference.
As for closets, and cabinets sometimes it is not practical for it to be nicely organized since everything has to be squeezed in and there is no place for containers.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
Have you heard of marie kondo's book - japanese art of decluttering an her "konmari" system
if you have too much stuff to put away, maybe you have too much stuff
it's a revolutionary way of thinking. however I'm part of a few facebook groups dedicated to her method and person after person posts "if only I had done this years ago I would never have needed that cleaning lady all those years or that professional organizer"
check it out
anon bc I talk a lot about this IRL

I read the book and am intrigued. But I also accept the possibility that her quarters are so small, and her family so large, that even if she does "tidy up" she will still need an effective system and not have too much extra space, if any.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 10:48 am
I am a very organized person by nature and now that my kids are older I can maintain things better than when they were young.

However, I still don't have enough time to do things as well as I'd like. To keep things in perfect order, you do need time to maintain, which you probably don't have.

However, I would say - as in the example of the briefcase hooks etc - sometimes someone can help you make space where you didn't see. For example the top of the door of the room, to put a shelf for storage/toy storage. Laundry has to get in a hamper anyway - would you benefit from more than one hamper to sort dark and light as you throw it in.
An organizer with zillions of containers is way beyond what you need and your kids won't want to follow so many rules. But with the time you do have, that you are anyway washing dishes, doing laundry, hw, etc, can you use the SAME amount of time and space in a better way.
I think there is so benefit in that, just make sure the organizer is aware of what you are looking for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics