Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey High Schools for Girls
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 12:18 am
Can anyone tell me the differences between BY of Monsey, BY of Ramapo and Breuers? I know that's a general loaded question, but any current information anyone has would greatly be appreciated.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 4:54 am
BY Monsey is a very big school with many kinds of girls. The hanhala has a very "in the box" view and way of running the school. However there are many types of girls since there are 100 in a grade. There are a lot of cliques among the students and brand names are important. Academics are known to be on a pretty high level.

BY Ramapo is a much smaller, cozier school. There are max 30 girls in a grade. The girls are very friendly and have a little bit of an out of town tinge to them (brand names and such things are not at all stressed upon amongst the students). Most of them feel connected to the school even after they graduate. The hanhala is very frum yet not as in the box as BYM. Pretty strong academics. Girls can graduate with 30 college credits if they are interested.

Breuers is also not such a large school. It is the least "yeshivish" of the three. Most girls seem happy there. I don't know so much inside information...

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 6:19 am
amother wrote:
BY Monsey is a very big school with many kinds of girls. The hanhala has a very "in the box" view and way of running the school. However there are many types of girls since there are 100 in a grade. There are a lot of cliques among the students and brand names are important. Academics are known to be on a pretty high level.

BY Ramapo is a much smaller, cozier school. There are max 30 girls in a grade. The girls are very friendly and have a little bit of an out of town tinge to them (brand names and such things are not at all stressed upon amongst the students). Most of them feel connected to the school even after they graduate. The hanhala is very frum yet not as in the box as BYM. Pretty strong academics. Girls can graduate with 30 college credits if they are interested.

Breuers is also not such a large school. It is the least "yeshivish" of the three. Most girls seem happy there. I don't know so much inside information...

BYRDH is the hardest academically and gives the hardest entrance exam and is the most choosy academically. They are the only ones that don't have school on Sunday. The parent body is largely educated and had many professionals. The girls are encouraged to go to seminary and they support their husbands for only a year or two.

The other two schools encouraged life long support and learning. I definitely don't want that for my children so there was one choice for me. All of them have encourage seminary and have college credits for senior year.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 6:46 am
I went to BYDRH. I'm the daughter of a rav. I'm an average student.
The teachers really put everything into the girls I always felt taken care of.
Mrs Frankel is amazing.
They very much encourage collage but in no way do they encourage our husbands to learn for certain amount of years!
They have lots of tutors if one needs, it's not only for high academical girls. Though there is a lot of work.
I did feel like the frummest girls in my class cuz I didn't watch movies or talk about guys, but you have that everywhere.
My sister went to BY Monsey and LOVED it!
Not familiar with Ramapo, but I know it has an out of town friendly feeling.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 6:55 am
amother wrote:
I went to BYDRH. I'm the daughter of a rav. I'm an average student.
The teachers really put everything into the girls I always felt taken care of.
Mrs Frankel is amazing.
They very much encourage collage but in no way do they encourage our husbands to learn for certain amount of years!
They have lots of tutors if one needs, it's not only for high academical girls. Though there is a lot of work.
I did feel like the frummest girls in my class cuz I didn't watch movies or talk about guys, but you have that everywhere.
My sister went to BY Monsey and LOVED it!
Not familiar with Ramapo, but I know it has an out of town friendly feeling.

I agree that Mrs Frankel is amazing. The girls do support their husbands for a short time. Seminary is stressed over college. Almost every girl goes to seminary.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
BYRDH is the hardest academically and gives the hardest entrance exam and is the most choosy academically. They are the only ones that don't have school on Sunday. The parent body is largely educated and had many professionals. The girls are encouraged to go to seminary and they support their husbands for only a year or two.

The other two schools encouraged life long support and learning. I definitely don't want that for my children so there was one choice for me. All of them have encourage seminary and have college credits for senior year.
It's a toss-up, my friend sent her daughter to BYRDH and says she thinks BY of Monsey would've been academically superior, but her daughter fit into BYRDH better socially.

I went to BY of Monsey myself (the others didn't exist yet) and when I went to seminary, we were on top academically, period - with girls from all over the world. But (my personal opinion) I think the academics went down a notch or two since the days of the Rebetzin.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 10:45 am
All 3 schools have an open house. I would strongly suggest that you go to all of them. I also had my dd apply to all of them. After the interviews I was able to make a decision as to which school is best for my DD.

Lita

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 10:51 am
Why rule out Ateres BY of monsey? Go to their open house and see for yourself!

poobahnear

Post Wed, Oct 21 2015, 8:37 pm
Ateres is not really an option as I want something a little more yeshivish. Are any of the high schools inspirational and growth oriented or is it just rules and more rules without any inspiration.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:54 pm
Can anyone tell me about the differences between BY of Monsey and MY of Ramapo? The honest good of each school and the honest bad of each school.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:25 am
amother wrote:
Can anyone tell me about the differences between BY of Monsey and MY of Ramapo? The honest good of each school and the honest bad of each school.

Ramapo- Its a fun school without to much stress. You can graduate with college credits if you want to. The school is not super-yeshivish, but you will have yeshivish kids in the class as well. Its a small school so they get to know every girl there. If your DD is the class genius, it might not work out for her scholastically. There is one class per grade, so there may be social issues, but the school is very proactive.

Monsey- The school is super yeshivish, but the crowd is a Monsey crowd. Its a large school and by their own admission they dont get to know every girl. The kids have a crazy schedule,learn during lunch, free periods and can finish at 5:30. Sundays are the worst, everyone starts and finishes a different time. There are two types of girls there, the ones that study all day and the ones that have a good time. You can also graduate with college credits. The building gives me the creeps, its so beige.

Disclaimer: This is based on my research. My DD is in Bruers and we are thrilled.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:29 am
amother wrote:
Ramapo- Its a fun school without to much stress. You can graduate with college credits if you want to. The school is not super-yeshivish, but you will have yeshivish kids in the class as well. Its a small school so they get to know every girl there. If your DD is the class genius, it might not work out for her scholastically. There is one class per grade, so there may be social issues, but the school is very proactive.

Monsey- The school is super yeshivish, but the crowd is a Monsey crowd. Its a large school and by their own admission they dont get to know every girl. The kids have a crazy schedule,learn during lunch, free periods and can finish at 5:30. Sundays are the worst, everyone starts and finishes a different time. There are two types of girls there, the ones that study all day and the ones that have a good time. You can also graduate with college credits. The building gives me the creeps, its so beige.

Disclaimer: This is based on my research. My DD is in Bruers and we are thrilled.

If your daughter is in Breuer's why didn't you give a description of Breuer's

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:38 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

She wasn't asked.

treestump

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:40 am
My super brilliant cousins went to BY of Monsey and loved it. They have great academics and very stimulating teachers. That being said, there is a lot of pressure there that you won't find in Breurs or BY of Ramapo.

Ramapo is a really, really warm place with an out of towny wonderful atmosphere. And even though its academics may not be as high as BY, the curriculum is very solid and I know plenty of smart kids who really loved their entire school experience. (Which is very, very rare, unfortunately!) Being that they want to keep the school small and family-like, it can be hard to get in, though.

It really depends on personality. Some people thrive in bigger, more competitive places, others in smaller and warmer ones.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:46 am
treestump wrote:
My super brilliant cousins went to BY of Monsey and loved it. They have great academics and very stimulating teachers. That being said, there is a lot of pressure there that you won't find in Breurs or BY of Ramapo.

Ramapo is a really, really warm place with an out of towny wonderful atmosphere. And even though its academics may not be as high as BY, the curriculum is very solid and I know plenty of smart kids who really loved their entire school experience. (Which is very, very rare, unfortunately!) Being that they want to keep the school small and family-like, it can be hard to get in, though.

It really depends on personality. Some people thrive in bigger, more competitive places, others in smaller and warmer ones.

BYRDH is the most academically challenging. Ramapo is the least challenging and the easiest to get in of the schools that take the "good girls".

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:51 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

She didnt ask, but since you asked.

Breuers - It is supposed to be an academically challenging school with a lot of fun mixed in. The shabbos notes inform me of all extra-curricular thing they had in school that week that my DD forgot to mention. The school is a small school, so they get to know everyone there and I dont have to remind them who I am. They have activities to promote friendships. The crowd is a less yeshivish that BY Monsey, but some of kids from Ramapo could fit right in. They strongly believe in being open with the girls, so they will have discussions about why certain things are not ok. (short skirts, weird boots..) They encourage the kids to speak up for themselves and to come to them with any problems, big or small.

They finish school at 5:30 and have off on Sunday. They give the girls a chance to vote to switch the schedule, but the girls like it this way.

My DD is doing great there academically and socially. We ruled out Ramapo because after speaking to some teachers there we realized DD wouldnt be challenged enough.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:53 am
poobahnear wrote:
Ateres is not really an option as I want something a little more yeshivish. Are any of the high schools inspirational and growth oriented or is it just rules and more rules without any inspiration.

That would be ateres but you already ruled it out

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:01 am
amother wrote:
That would be ateres but you already ruled it out

BYRDH is growth oriented and inspirational. Mrs. Frankle, the Hebrew Principal, constantly inspires the girls. The girls repeat what she talks about in her speeches.

treestump

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:02 am
Breuers is growth oriented and encourages the girls to think for themselves and come to the right conclusions, rather than imposing a lot of rules.

It's not as yeshivish as BY of Monsey but I actually think the two variables are quite related. In most schools, the more rules you have, the more yeshivish of a crowd you attract. And many if not most of a yeshivish parent body likes to see rules to enforce the standards they hold.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 4:33 am
I went to BY Ramapo and absolutely loved it!! I had a small yet very diverse class which taught me to be non judgemental and open-minded. There was a large focus on hashkafa, not just text based lessons. We had tons of extra curricular programs to promote growth and fun at the same time. The administration gets to know each and every student and really focuses on giving every girl what she needs. I graduated a number of years ago yet I still keep in touch with a couple of teachers and with Mrs. Berney, the smartest most amazing principal. I LOVED going to school every day. If you have any more questions about Ramapo specifically I would be glad to answer...

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 18 2016, 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics