Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Does this point to lactose intolerance?

June

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 3:59 am
About a month and a half ago, I switched out my toddler's pre-nap nursing for a bottle of regular milk. Then starting around the end of the chagim, she had on and off diarrhea, a bloated/distended stomach, and a terrible diaper rash that was just getting worse.

I haven't given her milk since Sunday, and the diarrhea/bloating went away, diaper rash has mostly faded. She still had dairy in that time - pancakes made with milk and dairy-based formula at the babysitter - but no straight cow's milk.

Would the fact that her symptoms are gone now mean that she is lactose intolerant? And if that's the case, what would be a good alternative to put in her naptime bottle?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 4:04 am
My son is about 21 months. I just switched him to regular milk. He was able to tolerate all dairy except milk till now. I gave him goats milk.
I feel that some babies are sensitive to milk for longer than others.

June

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 8:14 am
Where do you find goat's milk? And is it very expensive?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 8:19 am
Most makolets or grocery stores. It is expensive, but we went through one or two a week. It's a similar price to soy, almond, rice milk.

HelloG

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 10:06 am
Milk is a tough food for the body to deal with. Try almond milk with some warm water.

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 10:18 am
why not soymilk or rice? my kids love it. the rash and diahrea is very possible he is allergic. a rash is enough to say so.

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 10:20 am
wait another few weeks. and try just a small amount and see what happens. but dont give more then once. if they are really allergic it will have a response on them.

lizard8

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 10:46 am
Sounds like lactose intolerance. I'm assuming the diaper rash was from the diarrhea.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 10:57 am
sourstix wrote:
why not soymilk or rice? my kids love it. the rash and diahrea is very possible he is allergic. a rash is enough to say so.

Almond milk has the calcium she'll be missing. Soy and rice aren't nutritious

June

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 11:15 am
amother wrote:
Almond milk has the calcium she'll be missing. Soy and rice aren't nutritious

This. Plus, the commercial soy, rice, hazelnut and almond milks available locally are full of sugar.

I did try homemade almond milk and she wouldn't drink it. She loves cow's milk but she's doing so much better without it.

June

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 8:21 am
OP here.

I tried goat's milk every day this week (great price - 11.90 for 1 kilo!), but dd wouldn't touch it.

Anything else I can try?

(I will try cow's milk again once two weeks have passed since she's off it, and see if the symptoms come back. In the meantime, I need something that will get her to sleep as well as the cow's milk did!)

el2cg

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 8:48 am
Try Lactose free milk from golden flow

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 11:51 am
el2cg wrote:
Try Lactose free milk from golden flow

This. Before trying something that is known to be an allergen (almond, soy, etc) try lactose free. My son and I drink lactaid, which really tastes just like milk. It's not CY though.

June

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 12:07 pm
Previous two posters: I'm in Israel, so no Golden Flow or Lactaid. I'll check my supermarket tomorrow if there is any such product, although I doubt there will be. Does lactose-free milk taste the same as regular 3% milk?

Thanks

smss

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 1:46 pm
Yes, those symptoms definitely point to a food sensitivity. Maybe it's lactose, maybe it's the dairy proteins. Maybe she can handle it in small amounts but not a whole bottle.

How old is she? How well does she eat otherwise?

Pennilessparenting.com has a recipe for sesame milk made with techina. It's comparable to cow's milk in fat, calcium, and protein.

lizard8

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:18 pm
If you are desperate for her to have the bottle, would you add a bit of chocolate syrup to the almond/goat milk?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics