Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Will the doctor always say to get xray?
1  2  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 2:30 am
We have gone to the doctor 6 or 7 of times with injured arms, fingers, and each time the doctor said to get an xray. Only once was it broken. Do doctors always send us to get xray or can they tell more or less if it might be broken?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 3:43 am
Small fractures are probably impossible to detect otherwise and though you would think the pain of a broken or fractured bone would be excruciating, kids will sometimes walk around without complaining about it at all. I hate unnecessary x-rays but can see why they do them. If the injury was enough to go to an ER or doctor's office then they are concerned.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 4:31 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Small fractures are probably impossible to detect otherwise and though you would think the pain of a broken or fractured bone would be excruciating, kids will sometimes walk around without complaining about it at all. I hate unnecessary x-rays but can see why they do them. If the injury was enough to go to an ER or doctor's office then they are concerned.

When I was a junior in high school, I fell while playing basketball. My ankle swelled like you can't even imagine in about 5 seconds. I was sure it was broken. Someone picked me up and we went to get it x-rated. They told me it was a really bad sprain and that I should stay off it for a week but then start using it again. So I did. After a few months it didn't hurt to walk on it anymore. Almost exactly a year later, I again fell. This time I went to an orthopedist. Not only was my ankle broken, but when he put up the pictures from the previous year, my untrained eye saw the fracture right away. Turns out that not only did I fracture it, I also tore a ligament. I went for therapy to try to heal it, but to this day I still have trouble with that ankle.

5*Mom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 4:55 am
amother wrote:
We have gone to the doctor 6 or 7 of times with injured arms, fingers, and each time the doctor said to get an xray. Only once was it broken. Do doctors always send us to get xray or can they tell more or less if it might be broken?

Depends. My ped never sends us for finger/toe x-rays because it wouldn't change the way he treats an injured finger/toe: for pain, he immobilizes regardless by taping to the nearest digit. OTOH, bones that would need a cast, or severe or complicated injuries that could need surgical correction, need an x-ray.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 4:59 am
Can I sk what teh big deal about an x ray is?

5*Mom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 6:51 am
Radiation, schlep and inconvenience. If it's necessary, it's necessary but it isn't always.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 6:52 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Can I sk what teh big deal about an x ray is?

Radiation might be linked to leukemia or other cancers and may cause mutations in genetic code (I.e sperm or eggs). But the amount of radiation in one xray has minimal risk.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 7:35 am
With a lively child like my DD who broke her elbow when riding her bike into a tree, and her shoulder when ice skating and doing a backwards jump, and her wrist on the schoolyard playing soccer, I've been to the orthopedist more times than I care for. He claims that my pediatrician has Xray vision, because every time he sent me for an xray it was indeed fractured or broken. The one time it wasn't (she was doing a cartwheel into the swimming pool) he told me he didn't think it was broken, but I wanted an xray, and he was right - it was just a sprain.

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 8:05 am
When it comes to toes be careful. My cousin thought he broke the baby toe taped it together and said zeh hu. Turns out it was not his toe but his foot.

I broke a big toe and ended up in a walking boot it was awful. I would probably do the x ray even if annoying.

fiji

Post Fri, Oct 23 2015, 8:49 am
A dr rlly cant always tell. I tripped and hurt my foot but was able to walk on it so thought it was fine. At the insistence of a family member I went to a podiatrist to get it checked out. Turns out I had broken a tiny bone in my foot- there was no way to tell without the xray.

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 8:49 am
5*Mom wrote:
Depends. My ped never sends us for finger/toe x-rays because it wouldn't change the way he treats an injured finger/toe: for pain, he immobilizes regardless by taping to the nearest digit. OTOH, bones that would need a cast, or severe or complicated injuries that could need surgical correction, need an x-ray.

My son fell and broke his pinky. My friend told me not to waste my time at the orthopedist as all that was needed was to tape the pinky and ring finger together. I went to the orthopedist anyway. Turns out that my son needed surgery to straighten the finger and was in a cast for a few weeks too-so you never know.

My dd fell and hurt her wrist. Dr. kept telling me to give her tylenol. After about 4 weeks of complaining about the pain, the Dr. finally sent her for an xray. Wrist had been broken. Orthopedist said it had B"H healed itself fine. She did not need a cast at that point, but they would have put one on had it been xrayed right away.

5*Mom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 10:06 am
mha, fiji and Shanie: A layman may not be able to tell when an x-ray (or surgery) is called for but a medical doctor can. So that is why I will ALWAYS recommend going to the doctor and not treating a swollen, tender bone oneself.

busydev

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 6:46 pm
this past summer my now 2yo DS broke fell and was limping but nothing was swollen, he wasnt screaming in pain and he was walking on his leg. we went to our dr who checked out his leg, touched it everywhere etc and said to give him motrin and if its still bothering him in 36-48 hours bring him in to get xrayed. 48 hours later we went to radiology and it was indeed broken ( a buckle break so not as bad as a full out fracture but still).

a neighbor was recently telling me that her daughter hurt herself recently outside but there was no bruise or swelling or whatever and while the daughter was complaining it hurt she didnt think it was serious.

then she went to a dr and got a foot xray a month or so later for other reasons and the dr was able to show her that she had mildly fractured her leg recently. neighbor felt terrible.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 5:19 pm
DH hurt his big toe and claimed that dr. can't do anything for a broken toe.
I insisted that he goes to an orthopedics. we found out after they took an exray
that he fractured his metatarsal. He had a cast/crutches/boot.
I, currently have a cast. Crying

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 5:20 pm
error

sky

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 5:48 pm
Chayalle - Considering I believe we use the same pediatrician - I agree. Every time he has sent me (3) he predicted the break down to the number of breaks and location and the dr on call was impressed, but not surprised (because he knows the dr).

One of my sons once fractured his wrist and twice I saw 2 different drs in the practice and neither sent us (in the dr's defense my son was still doing monkey bars, riding his bike and playing ball). Finally we went back because of pain and the main dr sent us for x-rays. In the end it was a fracture and they put a brace on it, b'h the arm had healed correctly. But if it hadn't it may have been an issue. I think it is better to be safe rather then sorry.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 5:50 am
Chayalle wrote:
With a lively child like my DD who broke her elbow when riding her bike into a tree, and her shoulder when ice skating and doing a backwards jump, and her wrist on the schoolyard playing soccer, I've been to the orthopedist more times than I care for. He claims that my pediatrician has Xray vision, because every time he sent me for an xray it was indeed fractured or broken. The one time it wasn't (she was doing a cartwheel into the swimming pool) he told me he didn't think it was broken, but I wanted an xray, and he was right - it was just a sprain.

Do you recommend your orthopedist? I'm looking for a recommendation for an orthopedist who treats adults. It's for a foot issue. Thanks!

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 6:55 am
For a small fracture, there’s not much you can do anyway. Put it in a brace and protect it for a few weeks till it heals.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 7:26 am
amother cornflower wrote:
For a small fracture, there’s not much you can do anyway. Put it in a brace and protect it for a few weeks till it heals.

Thank you. What kind of brace should I get?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 7:31 am
It depends where it is. There are wrist braces, ankle braces …that will protect it and keep your child from moving it. You can buy it in any pharmacy. If you’re sure it’s not something more serious, that’ll do the job.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics