Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
24 hour entertainment- 5 year old daughter

MMCH

Post Sat, Oct 24 2015, 8:14 pm
my 5 year old daughter is a very adorable, VERY chatty, very bright little lady,she is my oldest.
she was always the type of baby/toddler who needed my constant attention, and always needed me to play with her, sit with her, constantly talk with her.

Now that she is getting older, it seems strange (and ok let be frank) kinda annoying that she is ALWAYS saying "I wanna play a game with you. come color with me, I only want to play with you" (and she has other siblings)
and while of course I'm happy to play with her, after a while I go out of my mind today on shabbos, after about 3 hours of playing house, cards, and puzzles, I told her I need to get dressed and daven, and she would not go play by herself. it like seemed too much for her to just go do something on her own.

what should I do? and am I wrong for feeling like I can't constantly play games with her?

newmom1987

Post Sat, Oct 24 2015, 8:18 pm
Are you kidding? You don't have to play games with her for one second! Modern parenting is so bizarre. You're the adult. Don't feel guilty! That's the only advice I have.

lk1234

Post Sat, Oct 24 2015, 8:31 pm
playing with her for 3 hours!!! yes- that is more than enough attention to shower on a 5 year old. You need to set limits here and say no-mommy needs space now, give her options of what she can do initially while she gets use to this new routine, and take yourself away so that you do not become ensnared in the anticipated drama of her begging you for more play time.

cbg

Post Sat, Oct 24 2015, 8:41 pm
Put her to do chores around the house to help you.
Let her know that, yes we can play when ALL your mommy work is done.
Make up things to do if you have to. Things that are up to her capabilities but lots and lots of it. Making the beds, cleaning the windows and mirrors, sorting the laundry, folding the laundry especially if there are tons of socks to sort. Clean the drawers and closets.
Soon enough she'll figure out its more fun to play with kids her own age, or even by herself.

sped

Post Sat, Oct 24 2015, 8:45 pm
Does she know HOW to play by herself? You may need to teach her. Try giving her a task and telling her to show it to you at the end. For example, have her color a page in a coloring book and tell her to show it to you only when she is done. This way she does something alone, but for a specific time. Then build up the expectations.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Oct 24 2015, 10:31 pm
op here-thanks for the replies-
so to answer, yes she does know HOW to play by herself, for example, she loves to color, and loves to cut and paste, and does that pretty often
but I guess today, being shabbos, she really wasn't occupying herself well.
I just feel bad/guilty saying a million times "no sweetie, I won't play another game of cards with you" like 15 times....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers