Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chicken soup left out overnight

pickle321

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 12:22 pm
My chicken soup was accidentally left out Friday night but was put in the fridge shabbos morning. Is it safe to eat or does it have to be dumped?

etky

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 12:25 pm
Dump it, for sure Sad
Better safe than sorry....

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 12:34 pm
Throw it away.

If the food itself (not necessarily the surrounding room temp) is in the danger zone of 40-140 F for 2 hours, it should be considered unsafe even if it smells/looks/tastes fine. Your soup certainly falls in that category: it probably took an hour or so to cool down, then was at room temp overnight.

Anon for privacy as I am a food safety professional.

pickle321

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 12:48 pm
Thanks. So sad to throw it out Sad I could really use some warm chicken soup now

November

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 2:10 pm
I've had to do that before and it's painful! But overnight really is too long to sit out. Kol hakavod!

WastingTime

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 3:12 pm
OMG --is this for real?
I leave my chicken soup almost every Fri night. Either I put it in if I wake up in the middle of the night, or I put it in when I wake up in the morning. Its often still boiling hot when I go to sleep (we have fast meals) so I leave it out. And we have ba"h never gotten sick from it. Never.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 3:15 pm
4sons wrote:
OMG --is this for real?
I leave my chicken soup almost every Fri night. Either I put it in if I wake up in the middle of the night, or I put it in when I wake up in the morning. Its often still boiling hot when I go to sleep (we have fast meals) so I leave it out. And we have ba"h never gotten sick from it. Never.

Eeep. Not a healthy practice at all!
I hope you never serve that soup to pregnant women, young children, ill people or elderly people, as they are more likely to get sick from it.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 3:51 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Eeep. Not a healthy practice at all!
I hope you never serve that soup to pregnant women, young children, ill people or elderly people, as they are more likely to get sick from it.

I have young children and have been a pregnant woman Wink
Raw chicken I am careful to not leave out but the soup is often boiling hot still. I am not going to stay up for it, and I don't want to put it in the fridge like that (and anyway then it'll warm up the rest of the fridge!). I don't totally ignore food safety rules, but I do think a lot of the are there because they have to be there- meaning who wants to CV be responsible for the chance of someone getting food poising. So the FDA or whoever has lot of rules. For example I see people say you can keep cooked chicken for only 3 days.We eat it for 6. Meatballs 4 days- for sure last longer. I think you also have to factor in how many times things have been in and out of the fridge/reheated when making these calculations. Then again chicken soup is only eaten till Monday or MAYBE Tuesday.

I guess to each his own as long as we all stay healthy. Very Happy

etky

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 4:50 pm
4sons wrote:
I have young children and have been a pregnant woman Wink
Raw chicken I am careful to not leave out but the soup is often boiling hot still. I am not going to stay up for it, and I don't want to put it in the fridge like that (and anyway then it'll warm up the rest of the fridge!). I don't totally ignore food safety rules, but I do think a lot of the are there because they have to be there- meaning who wants to CV be responsible for the chance of someone getting food poising. So the FDA or whoever has lot of rules. For example I see people say you can keep cooked chicken for only 3 days.We eat it for 6. Meatballs 4 days- for sure last longer. I think you also have to factor in how many times things have been in and out of the fridge/reheated when making these calculations. Then again chicken soup is only eaten till Monday or MAYBE Tuesday.

I guess to each his own as long as we all stay healthy. Very Happy

I let the soup cool for about an hour and then stick the pot in a stopped sink full of ice water until it is mostly submerged. I usually have to change the water once or twice. The soup is cooled down and ready for the refrigerator after about an hour or so.

pickle321

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 4:54 pm
etky wrote:
I let the soup cool for about an hour and then stick the pot in a stopped sink full of ice water until it is mostly submerged. I usually have to change the water once or twice. The soup is cooled down and ready for the refrigerator after about an hour or so.

That's a smart idea. Will try that.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 5:40 pm
etky wrote:

Sorry, but after the Shabbos seuda I am lucky if I can get the dishes into the sink and get the table completely cleared. Then I am usually zonked. Definitely no time for fancy home management tricks!

etky

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 6:02 pm
I didn't realize you were talking about Friday night. This is what I do on Thursday after I finish cooking the soup and its literally boiling. On Friday night I just transfer whatever remains of the soup to a smaller pot and let it cool until I've finished cleaning up. Then it goes in the fridge. It's never boiling from the platta so whatever's left cools pretty quickly.

Another mom

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 12:30 pm
4sons wrote:
OMG --is this for real?

Just think it's funny to have a "recipe?" option for this post

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:59 pm
Reheated soup is a problem to be left out overnight, but I turn my chicken soup off Thursday night about 11 or 12 at night and its still hot at 6 am....we never got sick from that and my guests have never either...my mother did that our whole lives
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen