Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Medication feedback for treatment of depression in boy
Previous  1  2  3

chavs

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
[b]

There u have it. The op did ask advice about prescription medicines and our feedback. I am not against medication. I take them as needed but for a child with mental emotional symptoms it should be used only only if all other solutions fails. Children mind is growing and developing fairly quickly and any wrong medication can have lost lasting sideeffects

She also wrote
Quote:
He will be going to psychotherapy but I want to find an OTC remedy to take the edge off until things can get sorted out.

I'm gonna give op the benefit of doubt that if she at some point chooses prescription drugs it will be with the guidance from a doctor and that she won't be buying them online. Meaning that she will have someone guiding her who is an expert and knows what they are doing. I'm not sure how any of this, including if she chose to put her child on prescription drugs would be a convenience either.
When replying if you actually wish to help perhaps think about the words you use!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 9:10 pm
OP, to address your concerns regarding the diagnosis and possible treatments; first, you should know that the psychiatrist will perform his/ her own evaluation and the ultimate diagnosis may or may not coincide with the diagnosis of the therapist. The whole point of the diagnosis is to inform treatment decisions. Thus, the therapist should formulate a plan for psychotherapy and should not be advising about classes of medication at this point. Did she share her treatment plan with you?
In terms of the psychiatrist, typically antipsychotics are used as a last resort, except in situations where the child is actively hallucinating, showing signs of psychosis, and/ or is highly aggressive. Usually a SSRI will be trialed to stabilize the mood or other mild sedative. The child's reaction to the medication trials are often important information which can lend further clarity on the ultimate diagnosis. For example, if a SSRI is successful, you can rule out the more serious diagnoses such as bipolar. If an ADHD med is successful, you can rule out a more serious mood disorder, etc.
Hatzlacha, and hang in there! I know how hard it is to wait to get help for your child. Please feel free to ask further questions.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 11:40 pm
My son has severe anxiety which causes depression. I unfortunately waited to put him on medication ( for the same fears you stated) until he was 12 but it was the best thing I did for him. As long as you monitor him carefully for side effects ( & is followed by a dr) I wouldn't worry so much. He takes medication & sees a tx weekly.

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 3:34 am
There is an amino acid called L-Tyrosine, a supplement that you can buy OTC, that is used for depression. Google about it.

However, I prefer herbs because there are less side effects. My son uses MACA and feels good on it.

Also, it's important to make sure he's getting vitamins. An isotonic magnesium supplement (citrate not oxate) and vit B6 and vit D and niacin (regular, not the 'no flush'), are all very important for brain health. I use Calmadin in Israel.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 8:51 am
Are psychiatric meds for anxiety given to children forever or has anyone weaned their child off successfully? After how long?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 9:04 am
Thanks everybody for your posts and concerns. I'm not offended by anyone's post just to be clear. I'm fine. Just want to do what is right by my DS.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:16 pm
amother wrote:
Are psychiatric meds for anxiety given to children forever or has anyone weaned their child off successfully? After how long?

It depends. On the child, on the severity of the anxiety, on how responsive the child has been to therapy....etc...

My son's psychiatrist said that she hopes that over the years, as he matures, he will become more skilled at applying the tools he has learnt in therapy, better able to control his moods, etc... She said that she sees many patients taking Prozac in early adolescence and weaning off it by the late teens. it really, really depends on many factors.

anon (again) to protect my sons privacy.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:41 pm
In cases of severe mood instability, children typically are not weaned off the meds. What psychiatrists may do, is if the child is doing really well and has been stable for a very long time ( think years), the doc will allow the child to outgrow his dose and see how he does. Meaning, not increase it along with his growth, allowing him to effectively self-wean a childhood dose by outgrowing it. This allows you to see if he can remain stable without putting him at risk for setback.
For cases of anxiety, this can be more short term, ie. Treat the anxiety for approx. A year and then trial a wean.
ADHD meds are typically continued through teenagehood and beyond.
If there is a concern for true bipolar and /or psychosis, weaning is usually not a goal. Maintaining stability and functioning through meds is the priority.
Of course, each case is highly individual, and dependent on a myriad factors. This is why having a good partnership with an excellent child psychiatrist who you trust is vital.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children