Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Sugarfree
1  2  Next

wazup

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 1:59 pm
anyone have any good sugar free recipes for shabbos? having a diabetic guest...

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:12 pm
What foods do you usually make for Shabbos? Is sugar the only thing they cant have? Or are there other foods as well?
I started a sugar free diet a couple of weeks ago. Majority of my food doesn't contain sugar and anything that does, I just substitute with Stevia

wazup

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:17 pm
I really have no idea but a lot of things dont taste as good with artificial sweetner. just looking for ideas that are good and sugarfree!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:30 pm
I made salmon fillet with a little bit of agave nectar and sesame oil and broiled it for 14 mins.
Moroccan salmon is also good
Chicken Soup is sugar free
Grilled or Roasted chicken bottoms..all you need to season it with is McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning
Grilled or roasted veggies, Zuchinni, multi colored peppers and eggplant , marinate in olive oil, some thyme, kosher salt and 2 frozen crushed garlic..put into a bag, seal, refrigerate until ready to grill or bake
Brown Rice...I baked it in the oven, not to make a pot dirty....1 Cup brown rice, 2 1/2 cups boiling water, salt to taste and some turmeric...it will change the color of the rice to a bright yellow and it looks so nice with colorful roasted veggies...cover and bake for about 45 min..keep covered for a while after taking out of the oven...rice will "steam"...
Dessert can be fruit...

Day meal:
Salmon
Eggs
Sauteed Liver- Sautee Onion half circles sliced thinly in a bit of canola oil...add paprika, salt, onion powder, black pepper and drop of Stevia (very little or it will be too sweet) to onions let sautee while you dice up a package of liver into small pieces add it to onion mixture...let sautee for a few minutes...voila!
Cold cuts and pickles with sugar free coleslaw (you can buy that )
If you put sugar, honey or ketchup in your cholent...leave it out

Need more ideas.?..let me know

wazup

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:36 pm
ketchup has sugar?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:40 pm
Let me go through a typical Friday night menu:
Challah
Chicken soup with kneidlach
Chicken
Potato Kugel
Green beans Dijon
Dessert - often apple crisp

So while my family doesn't like my whole wheat challah recipe, I'd take out a few rolls (100% whole wheat, honey, one tsp. of sugar in the yeast starter for a five lb. recipe; I'd check with guest).
No added sugar in the soup. I guess I'd offer lots of veg. instead of the kneidlach.
My chicken never has added sugar. I'd do an onion or roasted chicken instead of coated.
Green beans are fine.
Kugel may not be. I think I'd have lots of roasted veg instead, maybe a salt and pepper spaghetti squash kugel if I were daring.
Dessert - fruit.

I don't think he'd be hungry.
Hatzlacha!

As for Shabbos day, I make liver myself.
Cholent might be too high carb. I might be daring and make a butternut squash cholent (I had one, not bad).
Sides - salads with sugar free dressings.

After all this, do clarify things with the guest.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

You bet it does!

thunderstorm

corn syrup actually but a diabetic cant have that either

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:43 pm
You can serve dips too...but if you are doing store bought read the ingredients,most take out food has sugar.

I can give you dip recipes if you need.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 3:32 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Let me go through a typical Friday night menu:
Challah
Chicken soup with kneidlach
Chicken
Potato Kugel
Green beans Dijon
Dessert - often apple crisp

So while my family doesn't like my whole wheat challah recipe, I'd take out a few rolls (100% whole wheat, honey, one tsp. of sugar in the yeast starter for a five lb. recipe; I'd check with guest).
No added sugar in the soup. I guess I'd offer lots of veg. instead of the kneidlach.
My chicken never has added sugar. I'd do an onion or roasted chicken instead of coated.
Green beans are fine.
Kugel may not be. I think I'd have lots of roasted veg instead, maybe a salt and pepper spaghetti squash kugel if I were daring.
Dessert - fruit.

I don't think he'd be hungry.
Hatzlacha!

As for Shabbos day, I make liver myself.
Cholent might be too high carb. I might be daring and make a butternut squash cholent (I had one, not bad).
Sides - salads with sugar free dressings.

After all this, do clarify things with the guest.

You do know that honey is a form of sugar, right?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 4:08 pm
Lemon garlic salmon
Chicken soup with vegetables
Sticky rotisserie chicken
Roasted cauliflower
Sesame green beans
Baked apples

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 4:09 pm
wazup wrote:
ketchup has sugar?

Yes, though I think heinz might made a sugar free version? Not sure.

spring13

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 5:54 pm
Avoid packaged sauces and ingredients in general, that should help. Chicken flavored with spices and/or lemon and/or fresh garlic will work nicely: I recommend 40 cloves of garlic chicken!

Make roasted or steamed veg and fresh salads - serve a lettuce-based salad with some choices of dressing on the side. Again, you can dress them up with things like garlic, vinegar, herbs/spices, almonds or other nuts. If you normally make cauliflower popcorn, you can totally do it without the sugar in the recipe. Potato kugel should be fine if they're ok with carbs in general. Rice/quinoa/whatever grain is also a good option.

For dessert, have some fruit (make kebabs if you really feel the need to dress it up), and then whatever cake or cookies for the family. Like anyone on a restricted diet, I'm sure your guest is accustomed to not being able to eat everything on the table. If they eat sugar substitutes, you can get some sugar-free candy. If you really want to bake something this guest can eat, check out chocolatecoveredkatie.com: most of her recipes can be made with stevia or xylitol, assuming that your guest eats either of those.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 7:25 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
You do know that honey is a form of sugar, right?

Yes, which is why I'd check with the guest. And have a back-up box of whole wheat matzah on hand.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 8:43 pm
Scratching my head here. Except for lokshen kugel and cake, what else would I make for Shabbos that has added sugar? Chicken soup? Of course not. Chicken? Whatever for? If G-d had meant chicken to be sweet, He would have made it that way. Cholent? The very idea of sweet cholent is revolting. Potato kugel or mashed potatoes? Perish the thought. Israeli salad? Puh-leeze. I don't even put sugar in my apple-cranberry sauce. And if I made salad dressing, which I don't, it would be EVOO, lemon juice and garlic. I wouldn't serve ketchup at all; ketchup exists to camouflage otherwise inedible foods (except French fries, for which it is the appropriate condiment) and is an insult to the Shabbos table. So what's the problem?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 8:58 pm
zaq wrote:
Scratching my head here. Except for lokshen kugel and cake, what else would I make for Shabbos that has added sugar?

Me too.
There is the carb issue though.

myself

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 9:02 pm
zaq wrote:
Scratching my head here. Except for lokshen kugel and cake, what else would I make for Shabbos that has added sugar?

My thoughts exactly. Though it seems others think differently.
Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by myself on Mon, Oct 26 2015, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 9:08 pm
zaq wrote:
Scratching my head here. Except for lokshen kugel and cake, what else would I make for Shabbos that has added sugar? Chicken soup? Of course not. Chicken? Whatever for? If G-d had meant chicken to be sweet, He would have made it that way. Cholent? The very idea of sweet cholent is revolting. Potato kugel or mashed potatoes? Perish the thought. Israeli salad? Puh-leeze. I don't even put sugar in my apple-cranberry sauce. And if I made salad dressing, which I don't, it would be EVOO, lemon juice and garlic. I wouldn't serve ketchup at all; ketchup exists to camouflage otherwise inedible foods (except French fries, for which it is the appropriate condiment) and is an insult to the Shabbos table. So what's the problem?

I'm surprised at this post of yours, since usually you have such level headed, open minded posts. You certainly understand that not everyone cooks like you or shares your taste preferences, don't you? I, for one, certainly enjoy chicken and meat with some sugary sauces (sesame chicken, chicken Marsala, many meatball recipes, to name a few popular dishes) but since I know sugar is unhealthy, I try to save these for special occasions. Why on earth would you assume that if G-d meant chicken to be sweet , He would have made it as such? Can't you say the same about everything, such as vegetables (why add spices? If they were meant to be savory and not bland, they would have been created as such etc) and every other food item?
Unfortunately many people are unaware of the harmful effects of sugar and use it as a staple in cooking. Just because you don't cook that way doesn't mean that other people don't...

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 9:32 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I'm surprised at this post of yours, since usually you have such level headed, open minded posts. You certainly understand that not everyone cooks like you or shares your taste preferences, don't you? I, for one, certainly enjoy chicken and meat with some sugary sauces (sesame chicken, chicken Marsala, many meatball recipes, to name a few popular dishes) but since I know sugar is unhealthy, I try to save these for special occasions. Why on earth would you assume that if G-d meant chicken to be sweet , He would have made it as such? Can't you say the same about everything, such as vegetables (why add spices? If they were meant to be savory and not bland, they would have been created as such etc) and every other food item?
Unfortunately many people are unaware of the harmful effects of sugar and use it as a staple in cooking. Just because you don't cook that way doesn't mean that other people don't...

I am quite aware that many if not most Ashkenazi balabostes cook in an abysmally unhealthy way. However, I refuse to believe that OO has NO recipes in any of her wedding-gift cookbooks for Shabbos foods that don't call for added sugar. I admit I don't troll the Net for chicken soup recipes, but I don't believe I have EVER seen one that called for adding sugar. Commercially prepared foods are full of totally unnecessary garbage, but do normal people really put sugar in potato kugel? Say it ain't so.

BTW, the "If G-d had meant" line is a very old and well-known-to-be-satirical expression. I am fairly confident that veggies were meant by G-d to be tasty, but a combination of overuse of the soil, overuse of chemical fertilizers and breeding for such qualities as long shelf life, high yield, and resistance to pests, have stripped the produce of its intended flavor.

chani8

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 8:30 am
Fat and protein are a diabetics friend. It goes downhill after that. All carbs turn to sugar.

For Shabbat, we start with French bread (light and airy), then skip salads, and go straight to chicken and vegetables, passing on rice/starches. For dessert, we do pudding or ice cream, sugar free.

We eat egg salad and cheesecake on Shabbat morning.

The 3rd meal keeps causing some distress for DH, so we're going to have to find a low carb solution for it. We were trying to eat chicken taco salads, but it seems to be too much carbs. Looking for ideas.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus