Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Pot roast--no crock pot or bag

PAMOM

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 9:37 pm
I have a lovely shoulder roast and would like to make a pot roast. I don't usually make them so dont have a "go-to" recipe. Does anyone have a good recipe that doesn't involve a crock pot or cooking bag?

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 9:47 pm
Historically, you pat it dry, (some flour it), then you brown the thing all over in oil, with onions and garlic and all, and when it's seared and closed all over, not too long, you put water in, and cover, and simmer it for a while until it's cooked through. It's good to put something in the bottom of the pot to keep it off the bottom, such as a little rack, after the browning, for the water cooking part. Or, some crumpled tinfoil, if you don't have a little rack. The little rack often comes with the pot.

Pot roasts do nicely in a pressure cooker. Pressure cookers can be electric or stove top. Say ten minutes at pressure to the pound.

Plenty of water and the contents of a jar of mild salsa will be enough. ENOUGH water. The water becomes free soup.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 9:56 pm
How much water? Cook for how long? What temp? Thsnks for the alum foil tip!

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 10:46 pm
How much water? Start with enough to cover the meat halfway, let it boil down but add more if it looks as if it's all going to boil away. You don't want the meat drowning in water, which would make it boiled beef, not pot roast, but you don't want it to boil dry either. You want some gravy or "pot liquor" left. What temp? No temp, it's stovetop. Bring to the boil and lower heat to a simmer. That's when little bubbles rise slowly, not the fast and furious frothing of a rapid boil. How long? Till there's no resistance when you stick a fork in it. You know the expression "stick a fork in me, I'm done?" That's where it comes from: if you can easily stick a fork in it, it's done. Could take two hours or more if you don't want it to moo. I've never made this with a solid chunk of beef, only with beef cut in cubes, which of course cooks faster, and it takes about an hour and a half IIRC. YMMV.

Avoid aluminum if you're going to use salsa or tomato sauce. Tomato products corrode aluminum and if it isn't outright unhealthy (the jury's still out on that) it does the flavor no favors.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 10:53 pm
Listen to Zaq.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 4:48 am
My recipe for brisket: (#3 Israeli cut)
Let the meat come to room temperature.
Heat oil in the pot you intend to use. It should be wide enough and deep enough.
Brown the meat. I like a bit of a crust so I have it as hot as possible before putting the oil in.
Flip it over.
Add a cup of dry red wine, a cup of water and sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over everything.
Add more water or wine if the meat isn't covered enough. I like it 2/3 -3/4 covered.
Simmer an hour/pound.
To cook it longer just makes it super tender.

Refrigerate when done.
Once it's cool, slice it against the grain as thinly as you can. A really sharp chef's knife is best.
Thicken the juices with flour or cornstarch. Add salt if necessary and other flavorings if desired.
Return the meat and gravy to the pot making sure the gravy goes between each slice.
You can either just reheat it or simmer it for a bit to get the gravy into each piece.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 5:01 am
What everyone said re the amount of liquid and the method.
I find that I need to simmer a nice size piece of meat about 4 hours to get it really tender.
I turn the meat a few times while its cooking.
Aside from salt and pepper I also season with paprika and garlic.
I put in bay leaf too which I think adds alot.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 9:42 am
We love the pot roast recipe in the green KBD cookbook. I don't follow it exactly, but basically brown the roast in chopped onions and oil turning to brown on all sides.....sprinkle with a few tbsp (like 3 - 4) of onion soup mix....add water to like half way up the roast, bring to a boil, and simmer for 2 - 3 hours until the roast is soft. For the last hour or so, add in any veggies you like, like small potatoes, chunks of carrot, and sliced celery.

Serve the roast sliced with the veggies alongside. A yummy, hearty dinner.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 9:51 am
I like to sauté onions and pears, add the meat, and use a good wine instead of water. cooking time depends on weight of meat and height of flame. I go for testing with a fork.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 4:03 pm
Thanks everyone! I'm doing a variation of browning on stove and cooking with tomato paste, browned onions and mushrooms, wine, and beef broth in oven )with bay leaves and more). Thanks for the time recommendations too-- adding carrots and potatoes later.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 4:28 pm
Any roast recipe you'd make in the oven with liquid can be made as a pot roast. On erev Pesach at my DS' house, DDIL handed me a roast (I was doing the cooking then) and said she wanted to cook it on top of the stove to be ready for the seder. I normally make almost all meat in the oven. I kind of gulped and winged it with my favorite roast recipe sauce and did it on top of the stove -- it was great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics