Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you lend/borrow a breast pump?
1  2  Next

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:05 pm
Is that a thing? Like, is it OK to borrow someone else's breast pump, or is that not hygeinic? Is it like asking someone if you can borrow their underwear? Are there parts that can be shared while others can't?
Asking because I want to try out using one without paying for the whole thing in case it doesn't work for me.

Stars

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:09 pm
The pump itself I would. The plastic parts are cheap and you'd want to get your own.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
Is that a thing? Like, is it OK to borrow someone else's breast pump, or is that not hygeinic? Is it like asking someone if you can borrow their underwear? Are there parts that can be shared while others can't?
Asking because I want to try out using one without paying for the whole thing in case it doesn't work for me.

You can probably get a pump through your health insurance.
But yes, I have borrowed and lent out a pump. I borrowed one for the first few weeks after baby was born until mine arrived, and I lent one out to a new mom as well. All the parts (except for the machine itself) can be sterilized.

sky

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:20 pm
I've had a breast infection eruv shabbos and needed a pump over shabbos to relieve the pain. A neighbor lent me one. For me it wasn't a problem because I was dumping the milk anyway (it was over shabbos).
But when I returned it I did wash well.

myself

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:48 pm
Yeah, all the parts that come into contact with you or the milk can be sterilised so it's no big issue. Some pumps have cheap packs of parts available. We have a pump gemach locally - the pump itself is lent out for free however you pay a small fee for the parts pack which is yours to keep.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 2:02 pm
Is there a breast pump gmach in Los Angeles? I will donate mine if insurance will give me a new one for the next baby, BH.

ven

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 2:12 pm
NO!!! Ugh

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:

Your medical insurance should now cover it.

amazingmommy

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 3:12 pm
I borrowed one from a friend until I got my own. I sterilized the pArts before I gave it back and she didn't have a problem with it. It depends on you if you feel comfortable!
It took me a whole until I got it from insurance.

luppamom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 3:17 pm
If someone offered me to try theirs (this did happen, but never ended up working out), I would do it. I would not ask (unless they own one that could have multiple users safely).
I don't respond well to breast pumps and I cannot afford to try out different ones out that don't work.

Happy18

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 3:26 pm
It depends on the pump. Mine is a medela Pisa which is an open system so no I would never lend it. If it was a closed system probably.

HelloG

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 6:16 pm
Buy the piping and plastic attachments and only borrow the actual pump

musicmom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 6:37 pm
Breast pumps don't last forever, even expensive ones, even if they are not broken, don't work so well over time. I've had at least four. I lent one once, thinking I had so many, no problem, but one after the other went wrong and the one I lent has never been the same. I needed to get a new one. I wouldn't blame it on the person who borrowed it either, it just happened. Also, one broke once from faulty electrical wiring when it was plugged in at work. These things are just super sensitive and you never get your money back on them. So if you need it in the future, don' t lend, but otherwise, it is just taking up space in your attic.

smss

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 7:26 pm
It depends. Medela is an open system, so you are not supposed to share it. Ameda and Hygeia are both closed systems, so as long as you are using new/sterilized parts, it's completely hygienic to have multiple users.

PS Are you in the US and do you have health insurance? If so, your breast pump should be covered.

Queen18

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 7:27 pm
Try to get from a gemach. It's a very pricey item that has a limited life. Do you really want to assume responsibility for borrowing?

5mom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 1:48 am
We're talking about body parts that are safe enough to put in a newborn baby's mouth. Unless you have an infection or open sore, why not?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 1:56 am
What does an open vs closed system mean? I'm asking because my friend gave me her medela pump and I figured I would just replace the flanges for when I need it.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 2:46 am
I would want the person to buy their own piece that goes over my nipples.
The pump itself wouldn't bother me as long as it was sterilized.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 6:19 am
there are gemachs that lend them out short-term.
on the box of my pump it says that its unhygienic to share....

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 6:21 am
sky wrote:
I've had a breast infection eruv shabbos and needed a pump over shabbos to relieve the pain. A neighbor lent me one. For me it wasn't a problem because I was dumping the milk anyway (it was over shabbos).
But when I returned it I did wash well.
I was the lender of the pump in such a situation once (though I don't think it was you Smile) When I got the pump back I boiled all the parts in a pot of water with a little soap, then rinsed it all when it cooled.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics