Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
When you lend out a pan, and it comes back dirty....

amother

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 11:08 am
So, last night, a neighbor of mine asked if she can borrow my Fleishig frying-pan (so she can make hamburgers).... I know she's not the cleanest person (in terms of her home), but I didn't really have a way out of it. I wasn't gonna lie and say I don't have one. and, it wasn't being used or anything. So, I lent it to her.

Today they returned it, and although they cleaned it, it was still greasy..... and it smelled like hamburgers.... Puke

(A similar thing happend to me a while back, when I sent over a cake to my SIL, and it still had crumbs stuck to it when it came back to me...)

Obviously, I'm not gonna say anything to my neighbor, because that would just embarrass her.

But, what would you do if this situation comes up again?

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 11:13 am
don't lend out your pans... make it a rule - it's like borrowing underwear ... and don't give a cake in the pan ... use disposables for that ... or cut up the cake and put on disposable ... oh and if you do - simply expect to wash it the way you'd like upon it's return ...

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 11:17 am
Quote:
So, last night, a neighbor of mine asked if she can borrow my Fleishig frying-pan (so she can make hamburgers).... I know she's not the cleanest person (in terms of her home), but I didn't really have a way out of it. I wasn't gonna lie and say I don't have one. and, it wasn't being used or anything. So, I lent it to her.
for kashrus reasons I don't give out my keilim, and I've told neighbors that. Plastic containers and aluminum pans are how I send food over.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 11:23 am
yes for kashrus reasons I try to be very careful if someone else sends me something in a real dish ... I will wash with paper towels and not put with my own stuff ... what if they do things different than me ...

amother

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 11:23 am
(OP here)

Then, what would you tell your neighbor who came to the door asking to borrow a pot/pan?

(p.s. she would get VERY offended if I mentioned anything that has to do with Kashrus!!!!)

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
(OP here)

Then, what would you tell your neighbor who came to the door asking to borrow a pot/pan?

(p.s. she would get VERY offended if I mentioned anything that has to do with Kashrus!!!!)

that I never lend out my pans ... beginning and end !!!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 11:41 am
I would love an extra covred frying pan, but they're very expensive. ... I would hate for someone to ruin mine, too.

could you ask the person to use it in your h ouse? since you'd end up washing it anyway . . .

Basya

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 12:12 pm
It's a very easy out- If she comes just say- "Oh, you know my husband saw that I lent you the pan the other day - he hadn't realized that I do this (lend cooking utensils out)- he is very makpid on Kashrus and asked me not to do it"

Thats all- very kind - nothing to argue about.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 12:34 pm
obv it's too late 4 op 2 do that . . . .. her neighbor already knows she will rust her . . .

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 2:14 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
Quote:
for kashrus reasons I don't give out my keilim, and I've told neighbors that. Plastic containers and aluminum pans are how I send food over.

That is exactly how I feel about it too.

Cinderella

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 2:55 pm
Eeeeew!!!! I just don't get some people shock

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 4:21 pm
Amother, did we help you at all? What are you going to do?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 7:39 am
Yeah! Thanks CM and everyone who replied!!

I'm just hopin she'll never ask me again.
(I might just go out and buy her a brand new frying-pan.... for keeps.....) LOL

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 1:18 pm
tell her that you seem to always need a utensil right after lending it out, so you're going to stop lending them. btw, burgers can be broiled on a sheet of foil if a frying pan is absent. tell her to stick them in the oven.

mumsy23

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 1:35 pm
I don't get the kashrus excuse - if you would eat at that person's house, than how can you not trust "how they do things" - if it is good enough to eat there than why not good enough to lend you pots??

Ima'la

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 6:54 pm
I would just tell her, "Sorry, I can't lend it right now." It's yours - you don't have to excuse yourself by telling her exactly when and how you will be / are using it! If she's the type that will (rudely) ask why not, you could either change the subject or suddenly have to go.

mumsy - some people have a certain (machmir) standard in their own home, but eat in the homes of other people they trust without checking every detail of their standards. (Obviously, we're talking about chumras - not basic levels of kashrus.) But they want to make sure their own keilim remain on their own personal strict standards!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette