Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ton of bricks

amother

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 12:37 pm
fell on my head. I've been working with a Morah in a preschool starting this week. Since there are a few new children now for the summer and it's a big class, she felt she needed a third hand in the classroom. She claims that she always has a third person in the summer.

Yet, as soon as the third person came - a kid, I felt I was being given a clear hint of being dispensed with, but tried to carry on without concern, hiding my discomfort. My instinct was right. Before the week even ended, I was told I'm not needed.

I spoke to both the director and the teacher, and they each said it was the other who made the decision.

Where are these people's priorities?

we are in terrible financial straits and now I can't pay for sending my children to camp, and tuition that we owe Crying I'm happy that cute girl has what to do for the summer, but does that mean that my family has to lose their parnassa?

It's also a severe blow to my self esteem, to be eclipsed by a young teen, and seriously don't know if I'm going to recover from this one. I think this is bothering me more than the first problem, because parnassa is in the hands of Hashem, and if He wants, he can get me another job. (OTOH, if He wants, I can remain jobless....)

And I can't shake the old, useless and unwanted feeling. feeling depressed!

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 12:51 pm
They can probabaly pay the girl much less money, nothing to do with your abilities.

Hopefully this will turn out to be good in the end!

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 1:04 pm
Maybe they hired the kid because they could either pay her less or if the pay was late it wouldn't cause a real problem. Maybe she also has more energy, can arrive earlier or stay later, and does what she is told without questioning it because she is a kid. Maybe she doesn't have to worry about childcare and there is no concern that she will miss work because of child related concerns.
People often feel that underling positions such as pre-school aide belong to underlings such as teenagers.

Motek

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
Before the week even ended, I was told I'm not needed.

Do you mean you were hired for the summer and then fired after a week? shock

Did you have a contract?

Quote:
I spoke to both the director and the teacher, and they each said it was the other who made the decision.

Since when does a teacher have the ability to fire anyone?

How about you keep showing up?

Is there anybody above the director you can speak to?

Are we missing information?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 06 2007, 2:21 pm
Quote:
Do you mean you were hired for the summer and then fired after a week
? Yes, but I was told that this teacher isn't easy to work with, she needs things exactly her way, and not to take it personally.

No contract.
Was told not to come in anymore.
Quote:
Are we missing information?
You're smart Motek, I know I made some mistakes. Saying my opinion when no one cared to hear it. Not that I was trying to prevail, just being open. I learned that you must keep your mouth shut , even in friendly conversation Rolling Eyes

As a kid you could have that freedom, but as a mature woman, you have to know your place Twisted Evil .

I had to climb the stairs about five times to get stuff from the kitchen, and the cook wasn't helping me. I complained about it. I should not have. I should have just stood there like a golem for ten more minutes while she chatted on the phone and deliberately didn't look up to ask what I needed, instead of trying to find it myself. Confused

It took me one day to realize that I shouldn't "bother" the cook. I guess that was too late.
I really don't blame the teacher, I think she really needed the extra help. I blame the director for thinking that someone must fly at any bump.
What's with this thing about not giving someone a chance? I chalk it up to arrogance.

I'm also not competitive. I will not ask for the girl to be sent away rather than me. I will not get in her way, if she's making herself useful, and try to take over what she's doing. But sometimes that leaves me out. I'm just not pushy.

ruth

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 1:23 am
I'm in between work now , so I can empathize.

It sounds like you need chizuk.

what do you mean you fell on your head? Do you mean literally? or are you referring to the startle about being laid off?

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:55 am
We had a situation were my dd was hired to do a camp. She was 16. After a week they called and said the 1st person they asked. a 20 yr old, changed her mind and decided to do it. They said it was just preferring someone older. DD had been really counting on the money. Two weeks go buy and they asked if she could be the helper because the girl doing it couldn\t handle the kids alone on Fridays. That was when she found out they took someone else's 14 year old to do it for the same pay. She helped 2 weeks and then quit.

B"H I was telling a friend who I did not know was looking for 2 girls to run the camp in their yishuv. It was a larger group and after asking how much they paid here gave her 500 sh more. HaShem does take over here.

Girls in preschool?! If it is just cleaning then they get a woman and if anything is done with the kids the woman has to be trained.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 2:43 am
OP - perhaps the girl they hired instead of you was a relative of the teacher or director??

I once had a job that didn't require much skill and I certainly wasn't doing anything wrong. Out of nowhere they decided to cut my hours drastically, so I quit because I needed better money than part time. Soon after, I realized that they wanted to get rid of me, but instead of firing me, made it not worth it for me to stay, so I'd quit on my own - my boss' sister-in-law had just got married and was moving into town.......and needed a job! Exploding anger

Motek

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 7:09 pm
Is the moral of all these stories to have a contract?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics