Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy food for guests who don't like veg

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 7:19 am
Please help! We're having a single guy over who doesn't eat anything with any veg in. I only cook healthy food, usually low carb too and gluten free. There will be challah, chicken soup, chicken but I'm stuck as to what else I can make... especially for sides. Rice, potatoes? Any inspiration?

Amarante

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 7:51 am
I would make what you normally make which I assume includes chicken or other meat, soup. He just wouldn't eat the veggie side. If you don't normally make a carb like potatoes or rice, just make something very simple like roasted potatoes. I just toss with olive oil and rosemary but if you need a recipe I could post.

I am not understanding the dilemma since he eats everything but veggies so he would eat the food you prepare.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 8:34 am
A pot of pasta, meaning noodles, will fill him, with little trouble. Sauce them with chicken juices. A bag of little frankfurters might go in too. Some hardboiled eggs on top, sliced and dusted with paprika and black pepper might be nice.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 8:45 am
potatoes at least have some vitamin c in so I would do that. or you could do orzo, rice, farfel.

either way he is not going to starve with challa soup and chicken.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 8:49 am
Yes, potatoes.

I agree he won't starve at THIS house.

spring13

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 8:52 am
Wow, poor guy. He's not going to be feeling well later in life!

Potatoes sounds like your best bet. Roast tiny ones or large ones cut in chunks with the skin on, at least he'll get a bit of fiber and vitamins that way.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 9:10 am
amother wrote:
Please help! We're having a single guy over who doesn't eat anything with any veg in. I only cook healthy food, usually low carb too and gluten free. There will be challah, chicken soup, chicken but I'm stuck as to what else I can make... especially for sides. Rice, potatoes? Any inspiration?

Why can't you make a carb in his honor?
Unless there is an allergy to gluten, why not a pasta dish or you can just do potatoes.

smss

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 9:15 am
Yes, make rice or potatoes (assuming he eats those, they are technically a vegetable ;-)). What's the big deal? You don't have to be a health missionary.

SorGold

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 9:16 am
Apple crumb with almond flour topping or pesachdik topping
Quinoa (may not eat but you still have something to serve)
Sweet potato soufflee ( same as quinoa)

Of course rice or potatoes in any form...

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 9:17 am
My advice is to make what you might make for your family.

Maybe he will be hungry enough to broaden his horizons.

If you want to do more, some healthier options might include whole wheat couscous dish (I like sauteed onions, curry, and craisins), whole wheat sesame noodles, oven roasted sweet potato slices with kosher salt, paprika, and cinnamon, Chinese garlic string beans, or roasted brussels sprouts. All have been hits at our house with folks who normally don't eat many vegetables.

Or just make your life easy and make some plain rice, along with the veggies you might normally serve.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 9:36 am
I wouldn't try so hard. Not because I don't want to be nice or accommodating. Just because I think someone so picky (zero veggies is a pretty picky palate) isn't going to be very adventurous in his eating and stick to the familiar.... challah, soup, chicken. Adding some plain rice or basic roasted potatoes is fine. Elaborate recipes will likely be a waste of your time.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:14 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I wouldn't try so hard. Not because I don't want to be nice or accommodating. Just because I think someone so picky (zero veggies is a pretty picky palate) isn't going to be very adventurous in his eating and stick to the familiar.... challah, soup, chicken. Adding some plain rice or basic roasted potatoes is fine. Elaborate recipes will likely be a waste of your time.

I agree. My niece's dh eats zero veggies and I mean zero. Not even sweet potatoes, white potatoes only. G-d forbid there should be a shred of carrot in his soup,that carrot is still in the dish when the time comes to collect the bowls. I learned pretty fast that I'm not going to change him, so here's what I do: pretend he's not there when I serve the first course of fruit or salad--honestly, sitting like a goylem while everyone else chows down doesn't seem to bother him, he must be used to it by now; ladle out his soup first before I swirl the veggies up from the bottom of the pot (but no way do I serve him first, since he's usually the youngest adult at the table, so if his soup is a bit cool by the time he gets it, too bad);make a starchy kugel--but not sweet potato!-- rather than a veggie kugel when he's coming, since we like both; and put somewhat more chicken on the platter than I normally would based on the number of people.

November

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:38 pm
imasinger wrote:
My advice is to make what you might make for your family.

Maybe he will be hungry enough to broaden his horizons.

If you want to do more, some healthier options might include whole wheat couscous dish (I like sauteed onions, curry, and craisins), whole wheat sesame noodles, oven roasted sweet potato slices with kosher salt, paprika, and cinnamon, Chinese garlic string beans, or roasted brussels sprouts.

Can I have you whole wheat couscous recipe? I've been looking for one!

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:19 pm
Op, you're a hostess, not a short-order cook or a health guru. The guy has chosen not to eat veggies; this is not your problem and you don't need to cater to his pickiness. Forget about broadening his horizons; that's not your job and you're unlikely to make him a health-food addict in one Shabbos if his parents haven't succeeded in 20 or 30 years. Make whatever you like and he will eat whatever he finds that doesn't offend him. With soup, challah and chicken (what's for dessert? If you tell me kale pudding I won't believe you) he won't exactly starve. It's only one meal or at most two, and in any case, it's not about the food but about the company.

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:34 pm
November wrote:
Can I have you whole wheat couscous recipe? I've been looking for one!

2T oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 1/2 C stock
1 box couscous
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 1/4-1/2 C craisins, 1/4 C toasted pine nuts

Saute veggies till soft, add stock, boil, add couscous, spices, and craisins if desired. Follow directions on package for cooking time. Add pine nuts, if desired, after removing from heat. Stir before serving.

Zaq, many times people will try new things when they are in a new environment. Not to the point of health nuttiness, but at least a sampling. Tastes do change over time. My DH grew up on nightly meat and potatoes, but you'd never know it now.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:20 am
if you put lots of veggies in the chicken soup he will be ingesting all those nutrients unknowingly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking