Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler holding back BM. How can I help her?

lili

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 5:58 pm
My 2 year hold has been Holding back her BM. She usually end up making every 3 days or so screaming hysterically.
It's a psychologial Problem, she is scared of making.

How can I help her? I used different mild softeners that the doctor prescribed but I stopped them since they didnt help, and she doesnt seem to be constipated just holding it back as long as she can.

anyone have experience with this???

mommyfirst

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 6:25 pm
Are you in the process of toilet training ?

sourstix

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 7:27 pm
go back to pediatrician to help you. we cant diagnose.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 8:42 pm
My pediatrician told me to use mineral oil. It's not a stool softener, it makes it very slippery so the kid can't hold it in. It worked for my dd, but it was many years ago so I don't remember how much I was supposed to give her.

mama2

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 11:19 pm
My daughter who is now 5 totally had the same thing when she was about 2. She would stand there visibly uncomfortable and like I would see that she was holding herself in. I ended up giving her miralax for a few days and she had no choice but to go and eventually she just forgot about that whole thing. Good luck!

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 12:27 am
The trouble is, the more they hold it, the more it hurts when they eventually do it, because it's hard and scrapes them. So quite naturally they put that experience off as long as possible next time, which, in turn, makes it hurt again.

So, soften it with these methods.

It stopped hurting. That is why the child above got over the whole thing and forgot about it.

Be diligent about feeding prune juice if she will take it. Certainly without mentioning why, not at all. Yes to mineral oil. OK to flavor it, I should think; ask the ped.

If there are any accidents and staining, do not shame. Say nothing, be wonderfully nice, provide nice new panties, throw out the old ones without comment, and hugs all around.

lili

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 9:08 am
thanks everyone
we are not toilet Training. she never ever stains...she's professional at Holding back.
I bought prune Juice, does anyone know how much I should give her?

it's a vicious cycle Twisted Evil
just dont know how to break it.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 9:56 am
Talk to the ped. This is not good. Put some nice pictures in the bathroom. Look into the meds mentioned on this thread. And try to talk it out with her and make her feel better. This is not good. Get some guidance from an expert of some kind. About the physica and the mental or volitional aspect. And give her time in the morning. Rushed mornings make these problems.

Tiredwithjust2

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 10:29 am
I've gone through this with two of my children. One was so bad he had to go to a GI and be on a laxative for a couple months to really retrain his system.Here are some tips I've learned over the years but definitely talk to your pediatrician.
- both of my kids were on miralax so it'd be soft and not hurt and get them in the habit of making regularly bc they can't hold it in (my daughter would leak trying to hold it in). It's like retraining their system. Talk to doctor about how much to give. Miralax is not considered a laxative. It's non addicting/habit forming. It just draws more water from the colon or into the colon to help soften and move bowels along.
- make a designated sitting time like after dinner or before bed. If need be, set a timer.
-have a stool for child to rest feet on while on toilet bc it'll help her feel like more control.
- if not already potty trained, don't until fully back to normal or else will very possibly regress
-up the water and fiber intake.
- sticker chart. Like get a sticker every time she makes and after x amount of stickers she can get a prize

Pooh

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 8:46 pm
Miralax gave my toddler no choice. She was very scared of the poop itself. Thought it was some type of animal or something and she wasn't verbal so I couldn't really explain. BH the miralax worked. Ped recommended this to me

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 9:25 pm
mirilax in every drink she drank

I also would do exercises with my 3 year old.
Like if I saw her really straining and walk away I would go in her room and do jumping jacks and streches and very often that would help

Blessing1

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 10:20 pm
Would you try a glycerin suppository? It generally helps in 15 minutes- 1/2 hour.

Laiya

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 11:20 pm
Just putting it out there that this could be an o/t (sensory) issue. You may want to try getting her an o/t evaluation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics