Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What percentage of parents don't discipline their kids?
1  2  3  Next

zero - Everyone disciplines  
 15%  [ 12 ]
10% (1 in 10)  
 32%  [ 25 ]
15% (1 in 7)  
 19%  [ 15 ]
20% (1 in 5)  
 7%  [ 6 ]
25% (1 in 4)  
 14%  [ 11 ]
> 25% (worse)  
 11%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 78

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 11:29 pm

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 11:34 pm
Huh? Is this a test? Do we have research some national surveys or is it ok for us to blow some hot air?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 11:44 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Huh? Is this a test? Do we have research some national surveys or is it ok for us to blow some hot air?

Op here. This question is based on what you think is going on. I am using this to blow off steam. Any answer is right.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 11:47 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. This question is based on what you think is going on. I am using this to blow off steam. Any answer is right.

Can you be a bit direct what is your gripe?

salt

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:00 am
Why don't you make the poll "Do YOU discipline your kids?" YES or NO. Then you'll have your answer right there. The poll will give you the percentages.
Smile

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:08 am
Depends, if you ask my teenage DS, I am the only parent in his entire school who disciplines him.

SRB

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:08 am
I agree with salt... You should create a poll asking if YOU discipline your kids, but I'd also ask if YOUR HUSBAND does.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:26 am
You need to define your terms: What do you mean by "discipline?"

(Not that that will make an imamother poll any more accurate, but it might help to have everyone talking about more or less the same thing.)

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 5:11 am

SorGold

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:36 am
I wouldnt even know how to vote as I dont full understand the parameters of the question... Can u define what you mean when yoy say discipline. I mean saying something in a sterner voice than before when a child doesnt listen is a form of discipline...does that count? Or do you mean punishing? Or do you include positive forms of discipline such as compliments or charts or rewards...

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:40 am
I might let my kids do things that you don't let yours do. Does that mean I'm not disciplining?
My style may be different than yours. Does that mean I'm not disciplining?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 1:16 pm
Every parent disciplines their kid in some way or another.
By discipline , what are you referring to?
Yelling, punishing, corporal punishments, etc...

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:02 pm
Op here. What I meant to say is based on what you see do you know parents who will let their kids throw things on the floor whenever and wherever they want? Run around a supermarket? Grab whatever they see in other peoples' homes? Tell the teachers off? Hit other children? Yell at the top of their lungs whenever they want?

What really bothers me is if I have a quick question to ask someone on the phone they will interrupt me to have a fifteen minute conversation with their toddler.

What I am seeing is a lot of parents who will let the kids do whatever they want as long as they are not in danger of getting hurt.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:32 pm
TTYTT I don't see this at all.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. What I meant to say is based on what you see do you know parents who will let their kids throw things on the floor whenever and wherever they want? Run around a supermarket? Grab whatever they see in other peoples' homes? Tell the teachers off? Hit other children? Yell at the top of their lungs whenever they want?

What really bothers me is if I have a quick question to ask someone on the phone they will interrupt me to have a fifteen minute conversation with their toddler.

What I am seeing is a lot of parents who will let the kids do whatever they want as long as they are not in danger of getting hurt.

Do you really think those 2 bolded parts are equivalent??

Fox

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 3:44 pm
It's true, OP, that there are always a few parents who seem to be genuinely clueless when it comes to their children's behavior.

In general, though, I think the problem is not necessarily "lack of discipline" but just different standards and expectations or different ways of disciplining.

Just as an example, Israeli kids in general are accustomed to spending more time out of doors than US kids. Americans often perceive them as "wild," then, when they visit and proceed to charge around the house, chasing one another and being loud or boisterous.

Is that lack of discipline or just a cultural difference? In my book, that's a cultural difference.

There are also parents whose philosophy is, "I always make time for my child," and will allow a child to interrupt or demand their attention at any time or in any place. Most of us find that a bit extreme and annoying, but it's not a lack of discipline -- it's a different parenting philosophy.

Finally, sometimes parents are just too tired to address every issue and have decided to pick their battles with hopes of winning the war. I think most of us fall into this category more often than we would like.

When a child is being obnoxious, an outsider is seeing only a single snapshot. We have no real idea of cultural differences or parenting differences, let alone whatever unique combination of differences and issues are involved in rearing this particular child.

In my experience, most of us live in glass houses when it comes to our children -- no matter how old they are. Sure, sometimes a lack of discipline seems pretty obvious, but it's usually better to resist the impulse to throw stones.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 5:14 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Do you really think those 2 bolded parts are equivalent??

I was also wondering what one has to do with the other?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:26 pm
Fox wrote:
It's true, OP, that there are always a few parents who seem to be genuinely clueless when it comes to their children's behavior.

In general, though, I think the problem is not necessarily "lack of discipline" but just different standards and expectations or different ways of disciplining.

Just as an example, Israeli kids in general are accustomed to spending more time out of doors than US kids. Americans often perceive them as "wild," then, when they visit and proceed to charge around the house, chasing one another and being loud or boisterous.

Is that lack of discipline or just a cultural difference? In my book, that's a cultural difference.

I am talking about a lot more than cultural differences. I am talking about American parents (with the exception of Lakewood, as per Chayalle) who choose to let their kids run wild in stores and in other people's homes without apology. If anything, they encourage it by talking about how cute their kids are. They do not quiet their kids down when they scream at the top of their lungs in public places. The parents blame everyone else if their kids break things for not putting it out of their way.

It bothers me that there are certain people I can't invite to my home because their kids are out of control. No bookshelf is safe. No cabinet is safe. My food pantry is not safe either because the parents will never say the dirty word "no."

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:21 pm
Chayalle wrote:
TTYTT I don't see this at all.

What does TTYTT mean?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:
I am talking about a lot more than cultural differences. I am talking about American parents (with the exception of Lakewood, as per Chayalle) who choose to let their kids run wild in stores and in other people's homes without apology. If anything, they encourage it by talking about how cute their kids are. They do not quiet their kids down when they scream at the top of their lungs in public places. The parents blame everyone else if their kids break things for not putting it out of their way.

It bothers me that there are certain people I can't invite to my home because their kids are out of control. No bookshelf is safe. No cabinet is safe. My food pantry is not safe either because the parents will never say the dirty word "no."

I do not really know people like this. My son has one friend who is "wild". He is very difficult to have over. Mom knows hes wild. He probably has ADHD tho...
My friends for the most part have well mannered and well disciplined kids. I have one DS who is on the difficult/moody side... I do not think its my parenting if he throws a tantrum at my friends house... His issue BH is not with being wild and breaking things (and I hope he never gets to that point). We have done many things to try and help him. Please dont judge me if he makes a scene in the grocery store because he cannot have a food that you are unaware he is allergic to but he desperately wants... My discipline would be to stand my ground and not give in to his scene. I apologize if his scene may bother you...
I do not know the specific situations you are referring to, but I do not know anyone who would not discipline their child for being wild and breaking something. I do not mean they would necessarily punish them in public, but they would certainly reprimand them and make sure child apologizes or what not.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics