Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
WWYD If your child spilled a box of cereal in a supermarket?
1  2  Next

a. Apologize  
 0%  [ 2 ]
b. Let someone know  
 3%  [ 7 ]
c. A & B (see above)  
 11%  [ 26 ]
d. Walk away and keep quiet  
 2%  [ 6 ]
e. Offer to pay  
 13%  [ 31 ]
f. A & E (see above)  
 65%  [ 148 ]
g. Other (post below)  
 2%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 225

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 11:43 am

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 11:45 am
I'd offer to clean it up and pay for the box and hope that they'll tell me it's ok, we'll clean the mess Smile

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 11:45 am
A,B & E. Apologize, let the employee know and pay for it.

STMommy

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 11:51 am
C and E

mommyla

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 11:54 am
IMHopinion wrote:
I'd offer to clean it up and pay for the box and hope that they'll tell me it's ok, we'll clean the mess Smile

Same!

My child once dropped a yogurt on the floor of a supermarket and it exploded. I told an employee, apologized, and then offered to pay when I checked out - and they didn't charge me.

Miri7

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 12:18 pm
A,B and E. Accidents happen.

pause

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 12:46 pm
B and E

chani8

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 9:12 am
Why apologize?

I'd let someone know, so that the mess would get cleaned up.

Then I'd buy the box of cereal.

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 9:51 am
chani8 wrote:
Why apologize?

I'd apologize because someone else has to clean up the mess my child made.

A, B, & E.

chani8

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 10:07 am
I dont see why 'offer to pay' when you are clearly responsible for the mistake. If you damage something, you should pay for it. Unless the package was faulty and popped open too easily.

Notsobusy

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 5:25 pm
I did something worse, I dropped a carton of eggs, it opened and they all cracked all over the floor. I found a worker and asked for paper towels so that I could clean it, but they insisted on cleaning it by themselves. I apologized and thanked the worker many times. I also insisted on paying for it, even though the cashier said their policy is that I didn't have to pay.

oliveoil

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:01 pm
chani8 wrote:
Why apologize?

Why on earth would you NOT apologize? You just created a massive mess all over the supermarket floor.

Simple1

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:32 pm
My child once dropped a jar of pickles, and when I offered to pay, they insisted it's their policy not to charge. I left it at that, because I give them plenty of business as a regular customer.

But, how in the world can you accidentally drop and spill cereal? All cereals that I know of are well packaged, that it would take a purposeful effort to get opened.

If it wasn't an accident for some reason, then there'd be more of an obligation to pay.

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 7:23 pm
I would clean it up and pay for it.

lucky14

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 8:20 pm
I'd for sure offer to clean it up and pay for it.

LittleDucky

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 10:31 pm
All of the above... Tell someone, apologize and offer to pay for it.
Same as when they charge me the wrong amount-- let them know even when they undercharged me. I went to one store, they accidentally didn't charge me for something (it rang up as zero or something like that!). I got home before I realized but by then the store was closed. So I went back the next day with my receipt and the item and they didn't let me pay for it. (Major chain store). But I would try and offer!

Sanguine

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 1:42 am
How do you spill a box of cereal? They're closed pretty tight. So let's say drops a jar of jelly... We're talking supermarket, right? Not Ma and Pa store? Supermarkets don't expect you to pay for breakage - No "You break it you buy it" policy.

So if it was broken in front of a store employee, I'd say "I'm sorry" right there and I'm sure the employee would run to get someone to clean it up (it's someone's job to clean - there are all types of messes in supermarkets, no one wants me making a bigger mess by wiping the floor with a tissue).

If no one's there when it breaks I'd go tell a store employee that it's broken so it gets cleaned up before someone slips on it.

I'm not without manners or midot... But you're talking about a supermarket. That's how things work in a supermarket. Do you want to track down the manager and discuss paying for the jelly? Or hold up the checkout line while you try to explain to the checkout girl what type of jelly she should be charging you for cause you broke one? Or do you want to stand over the 18 year old while he sweeps it up saying "I'm soooo sorry!, I'm soooo sorry!, I'm soooo sorry!" Rolling Eyes

I also don't expect the manager of a supermarket to stop everything and apologize profusely to me when a leaky milk gets on my shoes.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 4:35 am
Did you open the box while you were shopping and then let your child nash on the cereal while you continued to shop???? I hope not!

morah

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 4:53 am
One of my kids broke a jar of something once. I immediately told someone so they could get someone to clean it up. They have the employees and the equipment to properly clean it, no need to do it yourself. I apologize but just a sorry for the trouble, no need to make a ceremony of it, these things probably happen several times a day. I offered to pay but they didn't charge me. I didn't argue, they obviously have a policy on this. Anyway, if your kid is at the point of breaking stuff, your immediate priority is to wrap things up as fast you can.

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 10:15 am
I used to work as a cashier lady and the bag of milk broke open just as I passed it over the scanner and went all over my skirt. People always broke stuff, mainly grape juice or watermelon.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics