Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Climbing out of the crib vs CPS

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 1:38 pm
So I am in a quadry. My not yet 2 year old is climbing consistently out of the crib. We moved anything around it that could be helping in the escape- DC is just pulling up and over the railing. Great upper body strength! My issue is that DC has fallen multiple times- never hurt (carpeted floors) but I don't want to take the chance.
What can we do to keep DC in the crib? Everything we have thought of would get us in trouble with CPS if they found out. That means lost professional licenses and huge headaches.
We thought of a netting overhead on the crib. Moving to a bunk bed and putting some sort of movable walls on each open side (like those "rolling out of bed preventers" that are very tall).

What to do??

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 1:47 pm
You could always just line the floor around the crib with pillows and blankets. I only had one kid who was a climber, and when he climbed out a few times, we moved him to a bed and got a rail.

morah

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 1:59 pm
Is there any reason to think CPS might ever come to your place? My kids move to beds as soon as they can get out of the crib, not even a question. Always ends up a little before they're 2.

sped

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 2:00 pm
There are "roofs" that are sold for cribs for such situations.
Why do you think the CPS would come to check up on you?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 2:04 pm
Get a toddler bed.
Put the mattress on the floor.
Is there a reason you are keeping him in a crib?

cm

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 2:36 pm
Some people use netting, but I think as soon as one foot goes over the edge of the crib it is time for a bed. Be ready for a few nights of baby getting out of bed repeatedly before the novelty wears off.

MamaBear

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 2:39 pm
I'm confused as to why you are so worried about CPS....not a typical fear but anyhow, try this:

http://growinguptriplets.com/2......dpbs

miami85

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 3:16 pm
Can you remove the side rail of the crib? At this point he doesn't need to be in a crib anymore. You can put him in a toddler bed and put a child-protective gate on the door of his room so that he doesn't roam around the house.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 3:35 pm
Why I am afraid of CPS:

Nosey neighbors
My kid is a climber and will get hurt eventually (CV). I know in the ER they will investigate anything slightly suspicious...
My job is at risk if an investigation is opened
I worked with people who had CPS called for no real reason and they spoke about the craziness it was.

morah

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 3:43 pm
I have made my fair share of ER visits (boy mom here) and have never been investigated. I do have a healthy distrust of CPS in general, so I understand the concern, but living life in fear of them ending up in one's house is not normal. Are you anxious in general?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 6:16 pm
morah wrote:
I have made my fair share of ER visits (boy mom here) and have never been investigated. I do have a healthy distrust of CPS in general, so I understand the concern, but living life in fear of them ending up in one's house is not normal. Are you anxious in general?

I am not an anxious person. I guess I know a lot of people investigated for no reason. It made their lives miserable! I also don't trust CPS very much. Where I live they have been investigated for not saving kids they were already investigating (and the kids were in the end killed by negligence) but they spend tons of time over my friends' kids bruised knees from running on the playground!

I just want to do what's right here in case my Nosey neighbors get annoyed at my DC's antics...

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
So I am in a quadry. My not yet 2 year old is climbing consistently out of the crib. We moved anything around it that could be helping in the escape- DC is just pulling up and over the railing. Great upper body strength! My issue is that DC has fallen multiple times- never hurt (carpeted floors) but I don't want to take the chance.
What can we do to keep DC in the crib? Everything we have thought of would get us in trouble with CPS if they found out. That means lost professional licenses and huge headaches.
We thought of a netting overhead on the crib. Moving to a bunk bed and putting some sort of movable walls on each open side (like those "rolling out of bed preventers" that are very tall).

What to do??

There are special webbed sleepers so they can't put their feet over the rail. Or try getting a wide slepper and put both feet in one side. If dc would open the zipper put it on backwards so the zipper is in the back.
Btdt good luck

Blessing1

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 9:57 pm
You can also try stitghing together the feet of his pj's so he shouldn't be able to climb out.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 9:58 pm
Stitching

GetReal

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:00 am
When my kids started climbing out of the crib, I either moved them to toddler beds or took of the side rail of the crib. Not worth the chance of them hurting themselves G-d forbid!

kollel wife

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 12:30 pm
I could not manage to have an 18 month old in a bed with a newborn besides!

I bought a tent that velco-ed to the edges of the crib - it's an expensive item, but worth it (it was much cheaper in those days.)

I googled it and just found out (that baby is now 19) that they are no longer considered safe.
Maybe try to find out which ones may be considered safe.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 12:42 pm
Isn't having them in the bed more dangerous ?
my daughter is 2 and she climbs out, probably once every few weeks, but the thought of her waking up and roaming the house before I wake up( if she were to be in a bed) sounds a lot more scary .

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 12:48 pm
My son can't reach the door handle and they learn soon enough to stay in bed. A baby gate across his doorway may be good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics