Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you know how to answer these questions?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 4:20 pm
This touched a nerve with me. What do you think?

https://hasidic.wordpress.com/

*posting anonymously because I know the author. No, it's not me...

Zehava

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 4:27 pm
It's brilliant

str82thepoint

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 4:48 pm
Zehava wrote:
It's brilliant

Agree! It's very thought provoking. There are a few other articles on there too- one of them called "my dream" made me cry.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 7:41 pm
I think that if you truly want answers, they are there. Sometimes we value our questions more than our pursuit of truth.

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 8:10 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I think that if you truly want answers, they are there. Sometimes we value our questions more than our pursuit of truth.

Well said.

trixx

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 9:29 pm
Yep - what she said - I can definitely offhand answer some of these, but it sounds like the author just wants to question

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:27 pm
hi, this is the author you were referring to, I saw lots of hits coming from this site so I visited and saw the points that brought up here. in response to the last few comments I posted https://hasidic.wordpress.com/.....wers/
enjoy

ora_43

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:59 pm
I didn't understand the questions. Too many metaphors for me.

Your second post, beige-amother-blogger - I love the comparison, but I disagree with the basic argument. Math is beautiful and basic math is straightforward and gives single solutions.

But most things aren't basic math. Most things don't have a single straightforward solution. Even in math - in Zsub4, 2 + 2 = 0. And once you get to fields like psychology or political science... You can have 10 answers to questions like "why does poverty exist" and all of them can be right, while none are entirely right. There can exist several approaches to analyzing a text, all different, all equally valid.

I agree that having multiple arguments isn't always valid; sometimes as you say people have multiple arguments in hopes that when they fling them around aimlessly, at least one will hit the target. But sometimes it's valid. Sometimes it's even inevitable.

eta - just wanted to say again that I liked the comparison, I love the way you brought out the process from fear of questioning to acceptance of questioning,
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics