Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Recipes that use a lot of milk
1  2  3  Next

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 12:32 am
I get tons of milk from wic, especially lowfat or fat free. We don't drink it all, what else can I do with it that's not complicated?

happy to be me

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 12:44 am
Milk freezes well.
Crepes (for blintzes or a dessert)
Malteds!
Iced coffee
Cheese cake
Cook oatmeal only with milk and no water. It's sweeter and tastier.
Certain pasta dishes call for milk (penne a la vodka and others)
Chocolate pudding

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 12:51 am
Pancakes.
Hot chocolate.
Quiche.
Mock fettuccine Alfredo (use milk in place of cream).
You can use it in soups to make them creamy, especially whole milk.
Smoothies.

Teomima

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 12:58 am
Caramels! You cook the milk down to make evaporated milk, add sugar and cook further to caramelize it. Takes a ton of milk (and a ton of time) to make a batch of candy but hey, you've at least one Wink

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 2:52 am
Teomima wrote:
Caramels! You cook the milk down to make evaporated milk, add sugar and cook further to caramelize it. Takes a ton of milk (and a ton of time) to make a batch of candy but hey, you've at least one Wink

Let me know if you do this...and send me some!

June

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:13 am
You could make yogurt

Just wondering why WIC is giving you low-fat/fat free milk? Aren't babies supposed to drink full fat milk?

aqua1

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:49 am
Make macaroni and cheese and boil the pasta in milk. It will taste creamier and milkier.

juggling

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 5:56 am
Pudding, ice cream, smoothies. I make smoothies out of frozen fruit with just milk added, yummy and healthy. You can make popsicles out of chocolate milk. Make a white sauce for pasta or vegetables, cheese is optional. You can also make your own cottage cheese pretty easily from milk and a bit of lemon juice.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 9:43 am
I think these were already mentioned

White sauce for fettuccine pasta. Start with a roux, add milk and thicken.
Scalloped potatoes with a same sort of cream sauce.
Mac n cheese with cream sauce.
Creamed spinach with cream sauce.
Farina or oatmeal.
Homemade yogurt
Creamy tomato soup
Smoothies
Iced coffee
Chocolate milk
Hot cocoa made with warm milk
Rice pudding

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 9:53 am
These sound very good. I never made rice pudding with milk, just with eggs. How would I make it with milk?

How hard is it to make yogurt?

Can I make oatmeal with milk in a slow cooker?

Thank you!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 10:02 am
June wrote:
You could make yogurt

Just wondering why WIC is giving you low-fat/fat free milk? Aren't babies supposed to drink full fat milk?

I went to the WIC office and they weighed me and I was 6 or 7 months pregnant so they said my BMI was high so I was overweight so now I can only get lowfat or fat free milk.

I am grateful for the help and shouldn't complain, but it's a little frustrating because they pay for juice, which I avoid, and certainly don't give to the babies, beans, which are $1 anyway, cold cereal, which is full of sugar and I don't use it, and tons of lowfat milk, which is fattening. I wish I could trade my juice dollars for ground meat.

CatLady

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 11:02 am
Yogurt in the slow cooker is easy and fun to make. You can strain it to make Greek yogurt, and it's deliciously tangy and natural-tasting. Here's a link

You can also make ricotta cheese

June

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 11:10 am
amother wrote:

Not hard at all, it just takes time. I actually read about it here on imamother and I make it all the time now.

You need milk and a spoonful of live culture yogurt. (Or yogurt starter, but I don't know where to find that so I just used regular yogurt.)

Heat up milk in a pot. The milk should be hot but not boiling. If it's too hot you'll kill the cultures. It's a good temperature when you can dip your finger in the milk for 5-10 seconds. If it's too hot, let it cool a few more minutes. If it's too hot it will flop.

Stir in the spoonful of yogurt, cover and wrap the pot in a towel, and put it in a warm place for a few hours. I think three hours is the minimum, but I usually put it up right before I go to bed and it's ready in the morning.

It will be a little runny, so you can either eat it like that or strain it a bit. Place a cheesecloth over a strainer, and place the strainer in a bigger bowl. Pour the yogurt into the cloth and let it strain into the bowl for a bit. (The yellowish liquid that strains out is called whey, and I like to use it in pancakes. I'm actually looking forward to using it instead of milk in some of the ideas posted on this thread.) The longer you strain it, the thicker the yogurt gets. If you strain it for a few hours, it becomes Greek yogurt.

It's sour, so I add a bit of honey and it's yum. You can use it plain in all sorts of recipes. I like mixing it with mashed potatoes; it adds a really yummy creaminess, plus lots of protein.

And a tip: if you like it and want to do it again, take a spoonful of the homemade yogurt and put it in a container in the freezer right away. Pull it out to defrost the day you want to make yogurt. If you keep doing this every time you make a batch, you never have to buy yogurt again Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 11:22 am
You can freeze milk for quite a long time if you have enough room in your freezer. To improve the flavor, just buy a small container of heavy cream or half and half, and add to raise the fat content.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
These sound very good. I never made rice pudding with milk, just with eggs. How would I make it with milk?

Can I make oatmeal with milk in a slow cooker?

Thank you!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/2.....ding/

You can make steel cut oats overnight in the slow cooker using milk instead of water.

Yogurt is not hard to make once you get the hang of it. It's all about the right temperatures.

chaya35

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 11:49 am
I used to make onion soup with milk.

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:55 pm
Yogurt, ricotta cheese, ice milk(low fat ice cream made with milk instead of cream)

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 9:03 am
Bumping this up as I am looking for recipes with milk as we have the same problem as the OP! Interested in making yogurt. I have Greek strawberry yogurt and skim milk. Can I use that yogurt and skim milk to make yogurt? Thanks.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 10:45 am
How about making farmer's cheese? I haven't tried this but it sounds easy and uses a gallon of milk: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7.....eese/

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 11:43 am
Pancakes are a great way to use up milk. You can make pancakes whole grain to make healthier. Plus they freeze great so you can make a bunch at one time.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen