Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
NEED nutritionist bklyn/ weight help FOR OBESE 11 YEAR OLD

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 1:42 pm
hi everyone. my oldest child who is 11 going on 30 Wink has been gaining 20 lbs a year. she wears a women's 8 and weighs 140. she happens to be tall as well, but the rate she is gaining is very abnormal. her dr blames bad genes, even though none of my other kids or myself or my husband are obese.
she is triple the size of anyone in her class. she never mentions it to me and I decided not to say anything figuring when she's old enough she will do it on her own. we have a regular household food wise. I cook normal meals. breakfast- eggs or yogurt or cereal, dinner- chicken or meatballs, veggies rice etc
I always have produce around but also nosh cuz I don't want them to think nosh is such a big deal.
but now her dr isn't happy. he says she must exercise 3x a week- hahaha!!!- like when exactly??? these bais yaakovs pile on the HW and I can't get out at night with my 3 others and due soon too iyh. and she must see a nutritionist. does anyone have any ideas-
1- brooklyn nutritionists for kids
2- exercise ideas
3- any other kid weight loss tips

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

musicmom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 1:47 pm
Get a trainer! Some are really affordable with a gym membership, like once a month. Ask for exercise alternatives to do in the home if you can't get to the gym. These exercises will be custom for her, so she will see results sooner. As she exercises, her metabolism and self confidence will improve. Also, she could totally go through a growth spurt, so don't worry too much. I am not sure having nosh in the house is a good idea now though. If she does indeed have difficulty she needs to learn which foods are right for her.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 1:58 pm
Does your DD have school on Sunday? If not then find a motzei shabbos and Sunday program. Dance, aerobics,... Maybe even swimming after school once a week as well.

Snacks should be 100 calories (check serving size, they try to trick you) twice a day limit. Dont give her homemade stuff, its to many calories. Try to get her to eat as many vegetables as she wants, think of it as free calories. She also needs to learn the difference between eating enough and overeating.

Send your DD lunch to school. Whatever they feed her in school is garbage. A tuna sandwich on a WW bread with a salad or yogurt is way healthier.
A nutritionist can help you much more.

My DS is 11 and 100 pounds. He is a book worm. He is an expert at checking labels for calories and saves the unhealthy nosh for shabbos treat (supersnacks). We weigh him 3 times a year at the doctors office. I was supposed to send home to sports this year, but we couldnt afford it. (If I send one I have to send 3).

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 2:01 pm
double post

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 2:05 pm
Look into the Microbiome Diet. There are many good books out there. Basically they are all the same, and are about healing leaky gut syndrome.

No time to read? Cut out:

Grains (including kitniot and quinoa)
All dairy
Sugar, honey, and agave
Most fruits (save fresh fruit for dessert)
All processed food
Eggs

So, cook like it's Pesach, without the matzah and white potatoes. Yams are fine. Make lots of fresh fish, lean meats, and fresh veggies.

The point of this diet is not to lose weight, but rather to create a healthy digestive system. Once you establish that, the body will burn fat and adjust itself accordingly. No need to count calories, nag, or go hungry.

Want to eat 20 pounds of broccoli in one sitting? Go right ahead and fill up! Three portions of steamed chicken breast? No problem. Baked apples sprinkled with cinnamon for dessert (no sugar added).

Simple1

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 4:32 pm
FF, I wouldn't cut out dairy. Calcium is very crucial at that age.

Dance and gymnastics classes are a great idea and could be a lot of fun.

bnm

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 5:09 pm
Dr. Diamond's office has a nutritionist on staff who sees preteens and teens. 718-438-4400.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 5:44 pm
Wait a minute. Are you sure she isn't just an early bloomer? I was a super early bloomer, and by the time I was ten, I was 5'7ish, 140ish pounds, women's size 8 (shared my mom's clothes), and certainly wasn't obese. Am I missing something?

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 6:24 pm
She looks quite chunky and is gaining at rate of 20 lbs a year

wantavaca

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 6:59 pm
I went to Phyllis Lifshitz at around thT age (prob even younger)and she gave me a great kid friendly diet and I lost tons of weight and felt great about myself. Highly recommended idea.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 7:03 pm
Swimming is excellent exercise. Call around and see if there are water aerobics that she can get started on or pools with swimming lessons.

ohmygosh

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 7:34 pm
I assume (hope) you have ruled out medical issues (for example, thyroid problems).

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:01 pm
I would give her all the yogurt she will take. Having a lot of gut bacteria is a good thing, especially for this.

If she wants a sweet taste, only a little, and only agave.

Go easy on the mayonnaise: unless your "tuna" isn't with mayonnaise.

I would say yes to dairy and eggs and meat. Trim the meat but a tiny bit of the fat is ok.

"Chunky" and "obese" are entirely different things.

Make sure she drinks a lot of water and moves her bowels daily.

Don't let her be tired, ha ha. A sleep mask might be good.

Make sure she has her vitamins.

Alignment is important: maybe a trainer to teach her a basic routine of stretches to keep everything long and in the right place. You don't want her sway-backed. You don't want her feet rolling in either, make sure she has good arch support and learns how to flex and exercise her feet. A trainer will know about that. In short, she should be strong. You DON'T want her weak or in pain. You DO want her active, and being mis-aligned, weak or in pain makes people sedentary. Being sedentary can be hard to cure. This is an important time of life to stretch and exercise. It lasts for later.

She should know how she should feel and move. She should learn to demand feeling strong, loose, and comfortable. She should not learn to accept stiffness, weakness, or pain as normal. She should learn what to do about those things. A trainer can teach that.

Simply run out of things for the house, and ask her to get to the store to get them. A lot. This will make her walk. Forget something upstairs and downstairs and ask her to go get it.

Make sure she has nice hair and nice clothes and nightgowns and pretty things. Don't make her feel bad. Put thought into her wardrobe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics