Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn Doesn't Sleep-Suggestions?
Previous  1  2

chavs

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 8:43 am
[quote="amother"]
chavs wrote:
What you wrote is usually true for carriers like baby bjorn, but with an ergonomic carrier I have not found this to be true. My babies have all slept really well when wrapped and wouldn't wake up when I sat.[/qu

I had a baby ktan with my last..still felt this way. Wonder what I did wrong but I guess that's a spinoff Smile

Could be baby wasn't in the m position or not high enough, as in you sitting was uncomfortable for them. Could also be that baby wasn't in a deep enough sleep. From personal experience I can say that when my baby's were in an ideal position and deeply asleep they slept so well in a sling and didnt wake up when I sat, even when crumbs were spilt on them lol.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 8:48 am
chavs wrote:
Could be baby wasn't in the m position or not high enough, as in you sitting was uncomfortable for them. Could also be that baby wasn't in a deep enough sleep. From personal experience I can say that when my baby's were in an ideal position and deeply asleep they slept so well in a sling and didnt wake up when I sat, even when crumbs were spilt on them lol.

Cool thanks- Ill remember this for my next one. Always wondered about it- makes sense that I didn't put them high enough.

moneyshouts

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
Are you me??
I have a 10 week old and could've written your post word by word...
Her Longest naps during the day are tops 30 minutes!!
Feel for you, we've tried everything!!! it definitely is frustrating...

I'll be following this post for advice...

We should form a support group Smile. B"H grateful for the gift of a healthy baby, but it gets very, very difficult at times. Especially when I can't find someone willing to babysit her and I'm back to work next week. Sigh.

moneyshouts

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:21 pm
chani8 wrote:
Is she crying from pain, or because she wants to cry to fall sleep?

I can't figure it out! Sometimes she wants to sleep, and then after we do the pick up/put down routine she'll sleep for 45 minutes. Other times, she'll be wide awake, I'll put her into the swing and she'll be happy for a few minutes, and then the crying routine starts again. Her stomach is very bubbly all the time, so I do think she is in pain.

moneyshouts

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:23 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Can you list what you went off? It was a huge trial and error for me, but I ended up having to go off gluten, dairy, eggs, fish, nuts, citrus, bananas, tomatoes, lentils and something else which escapes me.

What has your pediatrician suggested? You may need to see a pediatric gastro.

I'm off all those you mentioned, save for fish and gluten. What did you eat if you were off all that?

saw50st8

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:59 pm
moneyshouts wrote:
I'm off all those you mentioned, save for fish and gluten. What did you eat if you were off all that?

Gluten and Fish were big triggers, much more than some of the others.

You may not need to be off all the other things though.

I mainly ate a lot of chicken and beef and then vegetables like zucchini and carrots. I ate broccoli and cauliflower and stuff, but didn't want to load up on them. It was rough. My pro-breastfeeding pediatrician said that I should consider giving up nursing and she never says that to people, but DS wouldn't take formula.

MMCH

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 2:42 pm
didnt read the other posts..

im assuming you tried wheeling her in car seat? / taking a drive?

without fail that always worked for my cranky ones. I would wheel them like a nut job when nothing else worked.

Have you tried something cozy near her? a small blanket? a bundle me?
I know its frowned upon, my kids loved to have something soft near their cheeks to sleep....

best of luck!!

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 2:45 pm
Btdt. Do you use a pacifier? Otherwise what worked for me was car trips and long walks and sometimes the baby swing.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 2:48 pm
Have you read "The Happiest Baby on the Block"?
In short, he says a combination of the 5S's is what helps;
Swaddling very tight
Swinging or swaying
Side/stomach laying
Shushing sounds (white noise)
Sucking

pause

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 5:47 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Have you read "The Happiest Baby on the Block"?
In short, he says a combination of the 5S's is what helps;
Swaddling very tight
Swinging or swaying
Side/stomach laying
Shushing sounds (white noise)
Sucking

I was going to suggest this. Windshield wipers works like a charm for my colicky, non-stop kvetches.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
Different amother, just wondering: how does a carrier help that much? I mean, when I wore my baby I still had to stand up (if I sat own while wearing her she would wake up and it was very uncomfortable), couldn't get anything done around the house (she was on me, how could I wash dishes or bend down or clean or cook or hug my other kids or...?), so the only good thing about the carrier was that my back hurt less - which is great but not good enough for a baby that never naps... and I had a good baby carrier. Just wondering how this carrier thing works for others.

I also have a 7 week old and the moby wrap is working wonders for me. I am able to wash dishes, fold laundry, prepare supper, etc... It may not be as comfortable as doing those things without a baby on you, but it's still better than listening to a baby scream and not getting work done. I highly recommend for the op.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 5:52 pm
chavs wrote:

I'm finding the same. And after about an hour I can take him out of the sling , and he'll sleep in the crib for another hour. It's the best thing ever.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 6:00 pm
I'm not the op, I'm the one with the 10 week old...
All these tips are great to help put to sleep, she is taking a pacifier now , (which she didn't the first few weeks and then the crying was much worse! )
And I also put a soft blanket to side of her face, which helps her calm down and fall asleep - with the shaking and cradling and everything...
But why does she wake up after only 15 minutes???

Raw

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 6:54 pm
Are you settling baby to sleep within 1.5 hours of last "nap?" Overtired babies are much harder to get to sleep and will drift off and wake up a short while after.

Has the baby developed sleep associations, such as nursing or rocking to get to sleep? If so, as soon as baby wakes and realised he is no longer in your arms he will be distraught.

Is the baby overstimulated? Look around your house and try figure out if it may be too bright or noisy, for example.

Can you definitely rule hunger out? Obviously, a hungry baby will not sleep well.

Do you pick the baby up as soon as he awakes from his "nap?" Could you possibly be coming in too soon and not allowing him to resettle himself? Some cries are normal while the baby sleeps or transitions from one cycle to another.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 11:46 pm
Yes to pacifyers. Especially Nuk brand.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 4:15 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
I also have a 7 week old and the moby wrap is working wonders for me. I am able to wash dishes, fold laundry, prepare supper, etc... It may not be as comfortable as doing those things without a baby on you, but it's still better than listening to a baby scream and not getting work done. I highly recommend for the op.

I am in wonder of those who can wash dishes with a baby in a wrap or carrier. I can hardly reach the sink with the baby in the middle. Maybe it's a build/body type thing? I am 5 ft tall with accordingly shorter arms.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics