Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
One and half feet out the door...but to where??
Previous  1  2

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:40 pm
First figure out a plan for parnassa. Is the breadwinner (you or DH) working in high tech then maybe you want to live near tel aviv or herziliya. Is the breadwinner commuting to the U.S. You want to live some where with easy access to the airport. Is the breadwinner working in chinuch then maybe near Jerusalem. Figure that out then find the community nearest to that area that fits your needs. Because you don't want to move to RBS or Beit Shemesh only to have the breadwinner commuting 3 hours to rannana.

November

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 1:42 am
The community in Karmiel is charedi- the Anglos try to fit into that while also doing their own thing at home.
In my experience, it's not so easy to find what you are looking for. Dati L'eumi can be pretty modern and charedi can be... charedi. I think you are going to have to look at school options and see what the kids who are graduating those schools look like and if you can deal with that. Our family ended up more on the charedi side even though the values don't match up completely. That would be an advantage of an Anglo community - similar values to what you are used to. I still say check out Ramat Shiloh, Yad Binyamin and Beit Shemesh where your sister is. There you'll find many good school options.

shabri

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 1:45 am
Ramat shills as been around for about 10 years now.

Ganei heala is the one still in development. I think it might be a few years until it's ready.

Also check out Nofei hashemesh. rabbi Rosner (former Rosh Yeshiva from YU) community in Beit Shemesh

5mom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 2:02 am
Wherever you go, check out the schools. Especially because you don't fit neatly into an Israeli box, some things will be different from what you want. So it's good to know if the differences are things that are acceptable to you. See where the elementary school children go on to high school, and what the high schoolers do when they graduate.

Good luck!

November

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 2:08 am
5mom wrote:
Wherever you go, check out the schools. Especially because you don't fit neatly into an Israeli box, some things will be different from what you want. So it's good to know if the differences are things that are acceptable to you. See where the elementary school children go on to high school, and what the high schoolers do when they graduate.

Good luck!

This this this.
And try to be open to some amount of change. You are moving to a different country, after all, and the priorities will not always match up. Rather than sticking to your guns, try to make decisions on what's best to help your kids integrate and feel good in their environment.

ora_43

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 2:22 am
OP it sounds like you're dati leumi, in Israeli terms. Dati leumi covers a big range in terms of lifestyle - from an Israeli version of american "open orthodox" to almost-hareidi. Unless you're completely non-Zionist, you probably fit in there somewhere.

You didn't mention speaking Hebrew or what jobs you'll be looking for or any of that. Assuming you don't speak Hebrew and you don't know where you'll be working, I think Beit Shemesh really would be a good option - it's reasonable commuting distance from Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, and has many English speakers.

coffeecup

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 2:33 am
I know many American friends who moved to (and love living in) Rechovot. These particular friends span the spectrum from woman who cover and wear only skirts, to those who don't and will wear pants. Some children go to the Chabad school there, and many go to the mamlachti dati school - I believe it's called "Tachkemoni." They all seem to love it and to accept one another.
I don't live there, myself, but I have visited.
I also have many American friends who moved to Ra'anana. Ra'anana seems to be much more expensive, yet for those who can comfortably afford life there, they seem to be happy.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 4:08 am
November wrote:
The community in Karmiel is charedi- the Anglos try to fit into that while also doing their own thing at home.

If I am not mistaken, there is also a DL community in Karmiel.

November

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 4:33 am
DrMom wrote:
If I am not mistaken, there is also a DL community in Karmiel.

There is a small, young hesder that is Israeli. They generally send their kids out of Karmiel for school. Not ideal for OP.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 4:38 am
shabri wrote:
Ramat shills as been around for about 10 years now.

Ganei heala is the one still in development. I think it might be a few years until it's ready.

Also check out Nofei hashemesh. rabbi Rosner (former Rosh Yeshiva from YU) community in Beit Shemesh
Ramat shilo has definitely not been around for ten years Smile
I lived in rbs a 10 years ago and there was NOTHING where ramat shilo is today Wink but it is a lovely frum community.

aquad

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
What's "expensive"- to rent or buy?
Do you mind my askng where you ended up?

Definitely to buy, possibly to rent as well. Whenever Anglos come to an area, prices go up.

We are in Rehovot. We don't fit in 100%, but people are incredibly nice and friendly. As a short term option, it is great. As a long term option- we are still evaluating. (Our kids are still young, so we can still move a couple of times before being forced to choose a place and settle down.)

PM me if you want more info about Rehovot.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:13 pm
OP, here-
What can you tell me about Nofei HaShemesh? Is it a place for a DL=right/Rightwing-YU type? I saw a promotional video and there seemed to be a mix of people, though that was from nearly 3 years back.

In terms of schools- I've heard of several girls schools but not many boys.
What schools are in RBS/BS area that would be a good fit for my kids? baby- will be 7th grade girl
I've heard of Ahavat Yisrael (rappoport?) but is this chareidi?
orot? somethign with a G..?

thanks!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions