Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Custom Rules When Arriving in Israel by Plane

m in Israel

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:36 am
Does anyone know what the official rules are? When entering Israel, how much money worth of new items is a person allowed to bring without officially having to "declare" it? (I am not talking about electronics, which I know has separate rules. I mean things like clothing/toys/toiletries, etc.) We are Israeli citizens, which I think also makes a difference, but I am having a hard time finding the official rules online.

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 2:25 am
I'm not sure about the official rules, I'm sure you can find them online, but honestly unless you're bringing in huge sums of money or lots of brand new items with the intention to resell, just say you have nothing to declare. If you bought items for your family use, it's not going to come out to enough to cause you any problems.

Edit: found it on goisrael.com but sorry, couldn't figure out how to post the link. But a simple Google search led me there. Basically clothes etc whatever fits in your suitcases is fine, gifts worth up to $200 no problem.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 2:32 am
I've been having trouble finding them online -- I tried.

There is not significant cash involved.

The issue is that my husband is flying on Turkish Air and they are currently allowing 3 suitcases!!!! I would love to fill up those suitcases with things like clothing (mostly underwear, socks, uniform type pants, etc.), shoes/sneakers for all my kids, certain toiletries, and possibly some toys and games. All of it would be for our own use -- I'm not selling anything. However I am pretty sure that one person flying alone with 3 suitcases will attract attention on the "nothing to declare" line, so I think there is a good chance he will get stopped. I want to make sure I am sure of the rules and we don't run into any unexpected charges.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 2:36 am
I had seen the goisrael link, but that is talking about tourists. I remember hearing that the rules may be different for Israeli citizens. The crux of the question is that "gifts up to $200". Nothing I am bringing would be worth more than $200 -- is that rule the same for citizens, and is there an overall cap on "gifts" that will be staying in the country?

I know of people who have had issues by customs before, but I don't really know details about why.

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 2:59 am
The Israel Airport Authority website says basically the same thing for Israelis.

I doubt the number of suitcases will be the issue. He's traveling with the legal amount for his airline. I used to travel back and forth as a student often with two or three suitcases. Never got stopped. If you want to be extra cautious just gave him remove items from the original packaging so if they do check his suitcases they'll just see items for personal use and not mistake them as gifts/resell items. The worst they can do is stop him and check his bags but it really doesn't sound like he'd be bringing in anything they would need to be concerned about.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 3:52 am
My husband once came into Israel alone with 6 Suitcases and noone even looked at him!!!
I wouldnt be too worried.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 4:42 am
My parents are frequent fliers on one of the airlines so they have large baggage/weight allowance and they fly with 6 suitcases of stuff for us whenever they come... it's possible to get stopped for a check anytime, it doesn't matter how many suitcases you have, but that rarely happens.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 4:59 am
The restrictions on the number of suitcases is usually made by airlines for their customers. The port of entry doesn't care how many suitcases you bring.

Of course, if you arrive with *dozens* of large suitcases, you may arouse the suspicion of customs agents, and you may be stopped if you attempt to simply sail through the green channel, but if you have nothing to hide, it should go smoothly. But 3 suitcases will probably not catch anyone's attention.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 5:06 am
I realize it is not technically a problem to bring in 3 suitcases as far as customs is concerned. My concern was if he attempted to "sail through the green channel" with what looks like an excessive amount of luggage, it would attract attention and he would be checked, and therefore I wanted to make sure that we knew all the rules so he in fact would NOT have "anything to hide".

We certainly have no intention of doing anything illegal, but I have heard of people being checked and then charged tax on items plus a fine for not declaring them properly. I'm pretty sure this was mostly with electronic items like camera equipment or computers, which we are not intending to bring. But I just wanted to make sure. It sounds from these responses like we should be fine. I like the idea of taking everything out of the packaging/taking of labels to make it clear we are not importing these items to sell.

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 5:51 am
m in Israel wrote:
We certainly have no intention of doing anything illegal, but I have heard of people being checked and then charged tax on items plus a fine for not declaring them properly. I'm pretty sure this was mostly with electronic items like camera equipment or computers, which we are not intending to bring. But I just wanted to make sure. It sounds from these responses like we should be fine. I like the idea of taking everything out of the packaging/taking of labels to make it clear we are not importing these items to sell.

The only time I've heard of this being a problem is with someone who was bringing in jewellery (I think in that case it was a diamond engagement ring). Clothes, toys, and toiletries, especially out if the packaging, should be just fine. Enjoy it all!

Aberdinah

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 12:47 pm
Is this any use?

http://62.219.95.10/TaarifEngl......aspx
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions