Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Kid friendly fish recipe

tweety1

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 8:36 pm
Looking for a fish recipe that is kid friendly. Any type of fish. Wanna do fish for tomorrow supper.

Last edited by tweety1 on Wed, Nov 04 2015, 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total

tweety1

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 6:51 am
Bump

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 6:55 am
How abt breaded fish? Baked salmon fillet?
I would also suggest editing your title for more clarity. Maybe "ISO kid friendly fish recipe for supper"

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 7:00 am
Oh my mother u"h used to make tomato fish: put up a pot of tomato juice, semi defrost gefilte fish and make balls or slices. Season sauce to taste. (She sometimes added frozen peas and carrots at the end) How I loved it!! My mother used to always send me a portion when she made it cause my dh doesn't like any tomato based foods. So I didnt have this since she passed away a couple of yrs ago....

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 7:04 am
Breaded Fish very kid friendly. Call them Fish McNuggets or put on a bun like McDonalds. :-)

For crispest results, use panko bread crumbs. Flour and then liquid and then crumbs helps the crust adhere for best results. You can spray with any oil.

Edited to Add - For crispiest results, I preheat the sheet pans that I bake on - I'm lazy so I line with tin foil so I don't have to scrub the pans.

YIELD:2 servings

Ingredients

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 pound cod fillets, cut into 1-inch strips
Butter-flavored cooking spray

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs and seasonings. Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. Dip fish in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere.

2. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; spritz with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake 10-12 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, turning once. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts

1 serving equals 278 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 718 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 7:05 am
Another kid favorite variant of fish nuggets.

Very easy and extremely kid friendly.

Potato-Chip-Crusted Fish Bites

Source : Petusevsky, Steve. The Whole Foods Market Cookbook

CRUNCHY on the outside, moist and juicy on the inside, these fish bites will have your kids hooked at first bite. Try using tortilla chips for an alternative, and serve the fish bites with salsa. The potato-chip-crusted bites are great when served with Pink Dip.

SERVES 3

The Potato Chip Crust

1 cup potato chips or tortilla chips, crushed
½ cup dried bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

The Egg Dip

¼ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce (low sodium)
1 large egg, lightly beaten

½ pound firm fish such as tuna, salmon, cod, or halibut, cut into 1-inch cubes or fingers
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
Vegetable or olive oil for spraying pan

Preheat the oven to 450°F.

TO PREPARE THE POTATO CHIP CRUST In a medium pan or bowl, combine the crushed chips, bread crumbs, and parsley.

TO PREPARE THE EGG DIP In a small bowl or pan, mix together the ketchup, tamari, and egg.

Dredge the fish cubes lightly in the flour, shaking off all excess. Pass the fish pieces from the flour into the egg dip, and then lightly press the fish into the potato chip mixture, forming a coating around each piece. Place the fish pieces on a baking pan lightly sprayed with the vegetable oil, and bake for about 20 minutes, or until crispy and golden outside and cooked through.

PER SERVING: CALORIES 410: CALORIES FROM FAT 110; CALORIES FROM SATURATED FAT 30; PROTEIN 30 G; CARBOHYDRATE 45 G; TOTAL FAT 12 G; SATURATED FAT 3.5 G; CHOLESTEROL 115 MG; SODIUM 740 MG; 27% CALORIES FROM FAT

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 8:07 am
One more variation on crusted fish. Also kid friendly

These were a nice variant on the breaded baked fish filets. Easy too.

Flour, wet and then the final crust creates a breading that adheres properly.

Pretzel Crusted Tilapia

Serves 4

4 tilapia fillets, or other similar white fish (about 6 ounces each)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
⅓ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons milk
½ cup flour
3 cups pretzels, crushed
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Pat fish dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper on both sides.

In shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, mayonnaise, and milk.

Place flour in another shallow bowl.

In a separate shallow bowl, combine pretzels, sugar, and garlic powder.

Coat fillets in flour, then dip in egg mixture.

Coat with pretzel mixture. Place fish on a baking pan and spray fish lightly with cooking spray.

Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 4:50 pm
I don't know exactly what makes fish kids friendly, but most fish you can get without bones should do. You can do teriyaki salmon (you can cut the fish in bite-size cubes, put them on skewers), fishcakes (there are two types--most common one is cook fish, flake and mix with mashed potato and season, form into patties and pan-fry/bake. The other ones are whizz/blitz raw skinless/boneless fish, add egg, matza meal, season and fry latkes-style). Gefilte fish balls (non-sweet ones) cooked in tomato sauce a la meatballs are very nice (it's actually called boulettes de poisson, literally fishballs, but my kids call it 'bullet poison'!). You can also do fishloaf like meatloaf (minced/whizzed raw fish, egg, fresh breadcrumbs, grated onions), I add grated carrots and petit pois for colour and nutrition.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics