Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Rural frum community
1  2  Next

mkwrites

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:17 am
BS"D
Hello,
I have four children kh and we live out of town -- in a relatively big city though the Jewish community isn't huge. We have the issues of high-priced housing and traffic, without the Jewish resources offered in larger Jewish communities. My husband and I are looking into other places to live. Both of our jobs bh are flexible and we have some options.

This may be a common question, but I would love any feedback or ideas you may have.

Our criteria: We would like something affordable, warm (the people, not necessarily the weather), spiritual, and without traffic. Are there any rural frum communities? We need a good Jewish school where the kids are kind and the prices reasonable, a mikvah, and a welcoming shul. We have considered Memphis, Jacksonville, Cherry Hill. Are there any lesser-known communities? We are open to small communities, as we are both BTs and became frum mainly because of Chabad.

Thanks in advance.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:34 am
mkwrites wrote:
BS"D
Hello,
I have four children kh and we live out of town -- in a relatively big city though the Jewish community isn't huge. We have the issues of high-priced housing and traffic, without the Jewish resources offered in larger Jewish communities. My husband and I are looking into other places to live. Both of our jobs bh are flexible and we have some options.

This may be a common question, but I would love any feedback or ideas you may have.

Our criteria: We would like something affordable, warm (the people, not necessarily the weather), spiritual, and without traffic. Are there any rural frum communities? We need a good Jewish school where the kids are kind and the prices reasonable, a mikvah, and a welcoming shul. We have considered Memphis, Jacksonville, Cherry Hill. Are there any lesser-known communities? We are open to small communities, as we are both BTs and became frum mainly because of Chabad.

Thanks in advance.

Cherry Hill, NJ?
I wouldn't consider that "rural." More like "suburban."

pesek zman

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:40 am
I wouldn't consider any of these rural. I hear rural I think farms with lots of acreage (which to me wouldn't work for frum families as they would likely be too far from Shuls/mikvahs)

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:48 am
Portland Oregon is a city, but there are very few suburbs. It's a short drive to farmland and stunning scenery.
The community is small and the schooling is limited.
They have Chabad and a Kollel.
3 hour drive to Seattle in low traffic. 15hr drive to LA.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 11:56 am
O-U hold an annual Jewish communities fair. You may find the following link helpful:

Link: https://www.ou.org/fair/communities/

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 12:32 pm
By rural do you mean you want farmland? Because I don't know of any Jewish community with schools and a mikvah in a truly rural farm setting. Walking to shul would be quite difficult on Shabbos! The closest I can think of is Lancaster PA, which is surrounded by Amish farms, though the Jews live in town, and I don't know how many of them there are. Otherwise, there are smaller and much cheaper and friendlier and less congested Jewish communities. Look at places in the Midwest like South Bend and Overland Park KS, or a bit larger cities, Milwaukee or St. Louis.

5mom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 12:35 pm
Yavniel and Bat Ayin come to mind, plus a few kibbutzim.

L25

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 1:25 pm
may be south bend or rochester

lfab

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 1:40 pm
Pittsburgh PA is not rural but it has a lot of what you're describing. I don't live there personally but have family that has lived there for years. Housing is reasonable, the community is warm and welcoming, it has a school (although I can't vouch for how good it is), and minimal traffic. It also has a large chabad community.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 6:40 pm
frumcincinnati.com -- some houses are more rural, some more suburban, but all located in a small but growing community where you feel like you belong. COL is much lower than most other communities, especially when you take tuition into account with state vouchers.

Carmen Luna

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 12:54 am
POSTVILLE, IOWA

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 1:39 am
Knoxville tn

mo5

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 9:07 am
Mequon, Wisconsin- north of Milwaukee, semi rural (big lots); Chabad house community, schools ((for some of that need to go into Milwaukee)

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 9:25 am
By rural and no traffic do you mean a kibbutz or moshav life? I dont think you can get that in suburbia in america, but Im not 100% sure about that.

mkwrites

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 8:44 am
Thank you for the replies! Yes, a moshav would be ideal for when iyh we make aliyah. We are not ready for that yet, though we talk about it. In the meantime, we'll look into some of the places you mentioned... so grateful for your thoughtful feedback.

mkwrites

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 8:49 am
By the way, I mentioned three cities that are considered to be smaller communities. For those who posted simply to point out that those cities are not by definition rural, the point of the post was to find locations that better fit that profile. Thank you to those who offered suggestions.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 11:39 am
Our search for a rural frum community took a couple of years of research. Our desire was to live rurally and although there are frum people who live rurally they do need to adapt their lives and be clear about their goals and objectives. (Here in the west, we found zero frum communities in rural areas.) You make choices, six hour round trip to the mikvah or dipping in your pond or creek in all sorts of horrid weather. At the time we began our search we had a wonderful rabbi who gave us some really good advice on adapting.

I think the OP wants more of suburban community with a rural feel rather than actually living rurally beyond the pale.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 3:09 pm
There is a way to install your own mikvah onto your house. That would be warmer than your pond. Here is what I was emailed from https://www.mymikvahcalendar.o.....lish:
====
"It is possible to construct a mikvah in one's home. This is best discussed with Rabbi Gershon Grossbaum, whom you may reach at: sgg@mikvadesign.com. He has developed something he calls a Lego mikvah that is made to work in such situations, etc
This is his area of expertise and he can advise you further regarding what is involved and the expenses for such an endeavor.

You mention having one's husband observe the immersion. I wanted to bring your attention to the fact that this is something you need to discuss with an Orthodox rav proficient in these matters. The husband is only permitted to observe his wife's immersion if there is absolutely no choice of having another woman do so, and even then there is a way to do so according to halacha, please consult a rav on the matter. "

=====

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 3:52 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
There is a way to install your own mikvah onto your house. That would be warmer than your pond. Here is what I was emailed from https://www.mymikvahcalendar.o.....lish:
====
"It is possible to construct a mikvah in one's home. This is best discussed with Rabbi Gershon Grossbaum, whom you may reach at: sgg@mikvadesign.com. He has developed something he calls a Lego mikvah that is made to work in such situations, etc
This is his area of expertise and he can advise you further regarding what is involved and the expenses for such an endeavor.

You mention having one's husband observe the immersion. I wanted to bring your attention to the fact that this is something you need to discuss with an Orthodox rav proficient in these matters. The husband is only permitted to observe his wife's immersion if there is absolutely no choice of having another woman do so, and even then there is a way to do so according to halacha, please consult a rav on the matter. "

=====

Dolly the link you posted has nothing to do with constructing a mikvah. But it's not rocket science if you have the time materials and the money. We solved my mikvah problems by buying a snorkel (wood heated) hot tub. A rainwater cache was easy. When Momma's happy everyone is happy.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 1:51 pm
There's a frum farm community starting called Shaarei Shemayim, in western Colorado- it has a website and a facebook page. It looks amazing, if we move to the states, we will seriously consider it.
Anon because people here know me IRL and I don't want to share yet what our plans are.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating