Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shabbos hotplate on ceasarstone counter

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 5:01 pm
I have just found out that it is inadvisable to place a shabbos hotplate on top of ceasarstone - the countertop we have just installed.
Any advice?
How are we meant to use our hotplate (no over space in teh kitchen for it other than on teh counter....!!)?

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 5:58 pm
I always put our (Israeli) platta on top of our gas stove. I figure its designed to get very hot around that area, as it IS a stove. Also that way I don't lose any bench space.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 6:03 pm
Good idea. Or place it on a large trivet.

boysmom4

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 6:18 pm
did you read the article in the mishmacha magazine about this guy who became a ger tzeddek and now has created a special hotplate for the jewish home! He decided to work on creating one that would be good for shabbos and yom tov, after the story that happened to the sassoon family!! looks like a good idea and will sell well in the jewish world!

Levtov

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 6:30 pm
I use a hotplate on my ceasastone counter with no problem bh. I have a presto griddle.

etky

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 12:59 am
I put it either over the stove or on the counter (also Ceaserstone) on top of a thin wooden Kakadu table mat. Any type of large, heatproof trivet will work. A few ceramic tiles placed underneath should do the job nicely too.

etky

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 1:03 am
Levtov wrote:
I use a hotplate on my ceasastone counter with no problem bh. I have a presto griddle.

I don't know about the griddle as far as the amount of heat that it generates and how high off the counter it is elevated, but when one of my friends first got married she left her (typical Israeli) plata on her Ceaserstone counter and the counter cracked.

wow

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 2:00 am
Is this issue specifically for the Ceaaerstone brand? What about Cambria quartz or anything else? And natural granite or quartzite ? Is that ok?

etky

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 2:08 am
wow wrote:
Is this issue specifically for the Ceaaerstone brand? What about Cambria quartz or anything else? And natural granite or quartzite ? Is that ok?

I really don't know but I would check it out with the manufacturer.
I think natural granite is more heatproof.

Chana4

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
I have just found out that it is inadvisable to place a shabbos hotplate on top of ceasarstone - the countertop we have just installed.
Any advice?
How are we meant to use our hotplate (no over space in the kitchen for it other than on teh counter....!!)?

I have the same counters and I place my hotplate half on the counter and half on the electric burners that we had installed- don't worry it wont crack a line straight through your counter tops..... You can use your counter tops as trivets so I don't see what a hot plate will do that is elevated off the counter with plastic pieces to raise it.

etky

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 6:55 am
The manufacturer, in it's Hebrew site, says explicitly not to put a Shabbat plata (or any other heat generating appliance) directly on the countertop.
The sustained heat can cause irreversible damage that Caesarstone nor any of its distributors and installers (in Israel, but I would imagine that it would be the same elsewhere) will take responsibility for.
Maybe they're being extra-cautious but why risk it when there are simple, effortless solutions out there?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 2:18 pm
etky wrote:
The manufacturer, in it's Hebrew site, says explicitly not to put a Shabbat plata (or any other heat generating appliance) directly on the countertop.
The sustained heat can cause irreversible damage that Caesarstone nor any of its distributors and installers (in Israel, but I would imagine that it would be the same elsewhere) will take responsibility for.
Maybe they're being extra-cautious but why risk it when there are simple, effortless solutions out there?

I recently found out that you're not supposed to put hot stuff straight on Caeserstone countertops. I found a huge Y shaped crack in my counter.
I wish I had known this before I had it installed.

mommyla

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 3:03 pm
Natural stone (except marble) is more heat-resistant than engineered quartz.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 6:39 pm
You really shouldn't put a hotplate directly on Caeserstone- even if your counter has been okay up 'til now, doesn't mean it won't end up cracking on you.

I know of a few people who had problems with their counters cracking. When we put ours in, the stone people used the sink cut-out to make us trivets to match our counters and we only put hot things on those. The plata goes in the laundry room instead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen