Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
1 year old refuses to let me brush his teeth. What now?
Previous  1  2

chani8

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:34 am
FTR, I agree with June, FF, and Imasinger. My gosh, dont hold your child down.

Just want to add that ALWAYS get a second opinion if your dentist finds a lot of cavities in a child. We had a child with 7 cavities at 4 years old and we did nothing to fix those cavities. A few years later and a new dentist, no cavities. What happened??! I dont know, except that the dental assistant taught her to brush, and apparently she brushed those cavities away, if that's possible.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:48 am
justforfun87 wrote:
I know that they can hold their mouth tight. The dentist told me I could use back of one toothbrush to pry mouth open and then brush. Again, you probably need two people for this.

I'd change dentists immediately.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:51 am
justforfun87 wrote:
You hold him down and brush them. Get your husband to help. My first son is about to go under general anesthesia at 3.5 because we barely brushed his teeth. Thousands of dollars in dental care. You better believe I now hold both the 1yr and 3yr old down to get the job done.

Children get their primary teeth between 2-3. Are you saying your kids teeth all rotted out in a year? What the heck are you feed him?

luppamom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 12:12 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Children get their primary teeth between 2-3. Are you saying your kids teeth all rotted out in a year? What the heck are you feed him?

Huh? I think it's pretty normal to get 16/20 before the age of 2. My DD is 16 months and she already has 12 teeth. Most likely Justforfun87's son has bad genetics (teeth-wise).

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 7:37 pm
Update: I tried letting him brush my teeth while I brush his, and it worked! He happily lets me brush his teeth! He still doesn't like the toothpaste, but until I find a toothpaste he likes, I guess water will have to do.
(For those who asked, he has 16 teeth already)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 12:55 am
Chill out! He's is only a ONE YEAR OLD! How many teeth does he have already. And if he does have a lot hes still so little. You can give him a toothbrush to play with. You'll tech him more by two. Calm down please.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 12:59 am
justforfun87 wrote:
You hold him down and brush them. Get your husband to help. My first son is about to go under general anesthesia at 3.5 because we barely brushed his teeth. Thousands of dollars in dental care. You better believe I now hold both the 1yr and 3yr old down to get the job done.

Is this for real or justforfun?

Its child abuse in my eyes!!! Read: HE'S A ONE YEAR OLD! My!

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:00 am
Have you tried kids flavors of toothpaste?
My 2 year old is always swallowing the toothpaste and asking for more b/c it tastes good.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 6:02 am
Tons of Maine has lots of flavors. They don't taste really artificial either.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics