Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
A horrifying case of child abuse..."natural" parenting
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 8:27 pm
I wonder why the parents didn't catch it.

Oh wait, they were probably vaccinated.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 8:37 pm
little_mage wrote:
Here's a nice rebuttal to the article: https://www.sciencebasedmedici.....ough/

I just read it and she recommends watching a child with whooping cough to get an idea of what it's like. I looked it up on you tube and watched a baby girl cough for almost three minutes straight. She is suffering so much, it brought me to tears. If there was any doubt before, now I know for sure that this woman is an abusive monster.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 9:15 pm
I just saw a youtube clip of a kid with whooping cough, coughing. The kid is nebach suffering terribly. Hard to watch.

How this lady allowed her kids to suffer like that for that duration of time without treatment is incomprehensible.

She is mentally ill. Sadistic for sure.

Pooh

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 9:55 pm
as I was reading I thought the end was going to be that she came to her senses and decided to go through w conventional medicine and start bashing natural remedies cuz her kids almost died. Instead she patted herself on the back for this horrible horrible abusive behavior.

An other thing that really bothered me, even being all natural, was that she DID NOT KNOW THE DIAGNOSIS!!!! she was guessing or down playing it for months!!!

Only at the end when she "realized" it was whooping cough did she know the "right" natural remedies to "cure" it. I think at least she should've gone to the dr for a diagnosis even if she didn't want to take their prescriptions for antibiotics at least w a proper diagnosis then she could have done her "natural" research and treat her children

I strongly believe her kids will hate her and will fully vaccinate their own kids. This trauma is not something they will ever forget and might not even forgive

Volunteer

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 9:55 pm
I've been thinking about this article all day, asking myself, "Other than proving that the author is a nut job, what lessons should I take away from this story to improve myself as a person? "

I came up with this (other than the obvious things, like immunize your kids, treat infections appropriately, etc.):

1. Distance yourself from pride. This one bad trait is the root of many sins, and it is the cause of great suffering.

2. Evaluate and Reevaluate your strategies often. Be brave enough to question your thoughts, and be open to new ideas from other people. Ask yourself honestly whether what you're doing is working, and seek alternative strategies if you're not getting the results you want. This applies in so many areas (parenting, marriage, career, health, finance, etc) . Don't just stick to one strategy and keep on doing it if things aren't getting better.

Science is supposed to be based on this principle. Human knowledge is imperfect and we constantly must test and prove our ideas. We go with what we can prove works, to the best of our current ability. Conviction in principles that feel good really has no place here.

If your child is getting tinctures, oils, enemas, foot rubs, and "love" but is still dangerously ill, and the infection is spreading, maybe try something else. If you tried to discipline, but your kids are still misbehaving all the time, try a different approach. If you work like a dog but still can't make a sale, try another strategy.

The worst kind of fool is the type that fixates on one mistake, but refuses to change for any reason. He thinks he's always right. This author's children paid a high price for her conceit.
Success takes some humility and flexibility.

pause

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 10:02 pm
Volunteer wrote:
I've been thinking about this article all day, asking myself, "Other than proving that the author is a nut job, what lessons should I take away from this story to improve myself as a person? "

I came up with this (other than the obvious things, like immunize your kids, treat infections appropriately, etc.):

1. Distance yourself from pride. This one bad trait is the root of many sins, and it is the cause of great suffering.

2. Evaluate and Reevaluate your strategies often. Be brave enough to question your thoughts, and be open to new ideas from other people. Ask yourself honestly whether what you're doing is working, and seek alternative strategies if you're not getting the results you want. This applies in so many areas (parenting, marriage, career, health, finance, etc) . Don't just stick to one strategy and keep on doing it if things aren't getting better.

Science is supposed to be based on this principle. Human knowledge is imperfect and we constantly must test and prove our ideas. We go with what we can prove works, to the best of our current ability. Conviction in principles that feel good really has no place here.

If your child is getting tinctures, oils, enemas, foot rubs, and "love" but is still dangerously ill, and the infection is spreading, maybe try something else. If you tried to discipline, but your kids are still misbehaving all the time, try a different approach. If you work like a dog but still can't make a sale, try another strategy.

The worst kind of fool is the type that fixates on one mistake, but refuses to change for any reason. He thinks he's always right. This author's children paid a high price for her conceit.

I like this summary.

mirror

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 10:26 pm
Volunteer wrote:

Yes. But there are billions of blogs on the Internet that spew false health claims. So if home remedy #1, #2 and #3 didn't work, there is also home remedy #4, #5 and #6. In extreme cases, you try #7, #8 and #9.

In her mind she was trying something new.

I know a woman who died from a curable form of cancer using the natural method. When she realized it wasn't working, the cancer had already spread. Oops.

Volunteer

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:40 pm
Devoirie wrote:
Yes. But there are billions of blogs on the Internet that spew false health claims. So if home remedy #1, #2 and #3 didn't work, there is also home remedy #4, #5 and #6. In extreme cases, you try #7, #8 and #9.

In her mind she was trying something new.

I know a woman who died from a curable form of cancer using the natural method. When she realized it wasn't working, the cancer had already spread. Oops.

Those sort of stories are, unfortunately, too common. What I think makes this blog so uniquely apalling is that the author not only kept beating the dead horse with her nostrums, but that she seems to have learned nothing constructive from the experience. The suffering her children endured changed nothing for this mother. As one poster mentioned above, the reader might expect that some hard lessons were learned about the limits of natural home remedies. But the opposite was the case here. The author boasted about how she "triumphed," after graphically describing her criminal neglect. There was no "Oops," it ended with "Hooray for me, nobody is dead!"

sneakermom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2015, 11:47 pm
Volunteer wrote:

This is a great summary. But to me it misses the point. This lady is making it seem that her intentions were to treat her kids the best way she thought through alternative methods.

In reality her intentions were to abuse her kids. She dresses it in alternative medicine so that she can even brag about it to the public.

So it's not arrogance or any blind spot that caused this. What caused it is some sort of personality disorder or other mental illness that compels her to abuse and then gets pleasure publicizing it.

I personally wouldn't take any lesson from it at all. Except to learn how to spot abuse and not be fooled when it stares you in the face.

Or to try to work on prevention. How do we prevent these mental illnesses from developing? It is so destructive! I wonder how her kids will do fifteen twenty years down the line.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 12:50 am
Volunteer wrote:
Those sort of stories are, unfortunately, too common. What I think makes this blog so uniquely apalling is that the author not only kept beating the dead horse with her nostrums, but that she seems to have learned nothing constructive from the experience. The suffering her children endured changed nothing for this mother. As one poster mentioned above, the reader might expect that some hard lessons were learned about the limits of natural home remedies. But the opposite was the case here. The author boasted about how she "triumphed," after graphically describing her criminal neglect. There was no "Oops," it ended with "Hooray for me, nobody is dead!"

It wasn't "hooray for me, nobody is dead" it was "hooray for me, I trained my children's immune systems to be better in some way that has yet to be quantified or demonstrated." I don't see how it's worth "strengthening" their immune systems if, by her own admission, it damaged their lungs and bronchioli or whatever in the process (she said it took months for them to heal. How can she know there is no lasting damage or scarring or anything from this? Can we ever know whether her baby's brain was affected by the limited supply of oxygen during her frequent coughing spasms?)

I loved this sanctimonious line, when she says how she didn't get more than 2 hours of sleep at a time for over 6 weeks due to tending to the kids' coughs/vomit: "Sleep? That's for parents who drug their children or lock them up." (paraphrased. Read it at least a day ago.) Or, for parents whose children don't happen to be sick right now.

sequoia

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 12:55 am
Maybe it is a satire? Just hoping...

mirror

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 1:02 am
sequoia wrote:
Maybe it is a satire? Just hoping...

You are lucky never to have met someone like this because I have. She spends all her free time on the Google University looking up "natural health cures". If you do this you will also be convinced that there is no need for doctors or vaccines or antibiotics.

If it's on the Internet then it must be true.

chavs

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 6:09 am
She didn't strengthen their immune system however, their immune systems are most likely weaker now after this, as it's quite taxing on the body having to fight it off.
She also didn't grant them extra immunity towards other illnesses as the body has to produce different antibodies for different illnesses. All in all this was a lot of suffering for nothing. Even if their immune systems had come out stronger, the suffering that they went through and the life that they missed doesn't really make it worth it imo.
I don't think she is necessarily an evil mother however, as much as extremely misguided. She turned to what she felt was a health professional who should have told her that her children needed to see a regular doctor at this point. I'm not saying that she shouldn't have used common sense but clearly she didn't have any.

Dandelion1

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 6:55 am
I agree that it seems like some sort of personality disorder at play. Not because she believes in "natural" medicine or whatever it's called, but based on her total oblivion regarding the children's suffering. She wrote pages on this subject and that never came up. It was all her her her the entire time.

princessleah

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 8:19 am
This is what I can never understand. Why are women like this fine to give their kids all kind of untested compounds, tinctures, mixtures, etc and assume they're safe? Modern "drugs" are also made up of various compounds, but they've been tested by the FDA and gone through a process.
These other things are ok just because they grow from the ground? You know what else grows from the ground? Marijuana. Psychedelic mushrooms. Poison ivy.

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 9:12 am
princessleah wrote:
This is what I can never understand. Why are women like this fine to give their kids all kind of untested compounds, tinctures, mixtures, etc and assume they're safe? Modern "drugs" are also made up of various compounds, but they've been tested by the FDA and gone through a process.
These other things are ok just because they grow from the ground? You know what else grows from the ground? Marijuana. Psychedelic mushrooms. Poison ivy.

The whole thing is irrational.

Since modern medicine the lifetime of a person has increased so many years. I am in my late 40's when I was a kid someone who lived to 80 was very old and lucky now if someone dies at 80 it is almost considered young.

The facts are that modern medicine have increased the lifespan of people of course modern medicine isn't perfect but it is a lot better then what we had before.

A normal mother (actually any normal human being) would not be able to sit by and watch her children suffer to such a degree. There is something wrong in this woman's head.

sourstix

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 9:42 am
I agree above poster and how can she go on to blog about it? I dont really think she loves her kid. would she allow herself to suffer this much? no. but I do think there is something wrong in her head. thats why she should be reported to cps. I am surprized that the hospital didnt pick up on something wrong. they have the means to figure it out. and detect abuse, child neglect. I think this mother shouldnt have these children. she clearly has the wrong judgement. maybe someone should first warn her. I mean cps

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 10:07 am
I did not read all the replies.
I do want to say that my child had Whooping cough, a severe case of it and there was NO medical treatment for it. Today they would advise using the nebulizer to ease the cough.
He WAS immunized.
If I would read such an article regarding a mother dealing with her child's cancer ONLY through natural and homeopathic methods I would agree she is abusive/negligent/insane.
But in the case of whooping cough, there is not much medically that can be done.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 10:23 am
I think the problem is in the fact that there were other children who had not yet gotten it, and taking antibiotics before the onset (prophylactic or even at the very beginning) for those children could have done something. For her oldest with it, not much would have helped by the point it was recognized.

Dandelion1

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 10:32 am
princessleah wrote:

So true. Also, there are various examples of pandemics in which the main victims were those with the strongest and healthiest immune systems, for example, the flu of 1918. In these cases, the disease kills the healthiest victims through an overreaction of the immune system, whereas those who are weaker (babies, elderly) paradoxically die in much lower numbers.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics