Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Jackson, NJ - building permits, occupancy rules?
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 8:39 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

I do think that city As to Monsey and 5 Towns, we're not talking about those places, where Jews are in the majority. We're talking about a small burg in So Jersey that was once the home to both Jewish and Russian truck farmers in my childhood. Everyone got along in those day.

Lakewood is right next door. Almost all gov't positions are held by Jews. They are terrified of becoming like Lakewood and are doing everything in their power to stop it.
- Not allowing schools to be built
- Not allowing shuls to be built
- not allowing succahs
- Rezoning land along the Lakewood border
- Hanging Stand Strong Signs on their front lawn

MagentaYenta wrote:
J

I do think that city building codes and occupancy rates are normal here in America. I've lived on both the east and west coasts and even small rural towns have them. And yea I got involved with local governance both in a town of under 2k and later in a larger town.

How is enforced. I just checked - I'm going to have 5 children in a 205 sq ft bedroom. How does the township find out? Can they evict me from my home based on that? What happens in most towns? I'm really curious.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 11:51 am
Sky building codes are largely a city/town issue but some counties also have governance over homes/buildings built outside of the city/town. I have no idea how codes are enforced in your area, it varies from town to town and from county to county. You are best served by researching what is applicable in your own area.

Oh and FWIW I grew up in the area and we often visited our family in Jackson.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 2:24 pm
found this for Jackson, NJ:

Quote:
A Dwelling unit shall comply with the following use and occupancy space requirements:
A.
Every dwelling unit shall contain at least 150 square feet of floor space for the first occupant thereof and at least 100 additional square feet of floor space for every additional occupant thereof, the floor space to be calculated on the basis of total habitable room area.

(A family of 10 can live in a 1050 sq ft home)
Quote:

B.
In every dwelling unit of two or more rooms, every room occupied for sleeping purposes by one occupant shall contain at least 70 square feet of floor space and every room occupied for sleeping purposes by more than one occupant shall contain at least 50 square feet of floor space for each occupant thereof. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in every lodging unit, every room occupied for sleeping purposes by one occupant shall contain at least 80 square feet of floor space, and every room occupied for sleeping purposes by more than one occupant shall contain at least 60 square feet of floor space for each occupant thereof.

That means a room sleeping 5 children must have 250 sq ft. (I wonder if my kid's bedroom is that big, if might be 300 sq ft, but not more.)

Quote:

C.
At least 1/2 of the floor area of every habitable room shall have a ceiling height of at least seven feet. The floor area of that part of any room where the ceiling is less than five feet shall not be considered as part of the floor area in computing the total floor area of the room for the purpose of determining the maximum permissible occupancy thereof.
D.
No room in a dwelling may be used for sleeping if the floor level of the room is lower than 3 1/2 feet below the average grade of the ground adjacent to and within 15 feet of the exterior walls of the room.
E.
A room located below the level of the ground but with floor level less than 3 1/2 feet below the average grade of the ground adjacent to and within 15 feet of the exterior walls of the room may be used for sleeping, provided that the walls and floor thereof in contact with the earth have been damp-proofed in accordance with a method approved by the Administrative Authority, and provided that the windows thereof are at least 15 feet from the nearest building or wall

Sky-Ithink these rules are for getting an original C of O. Once you are living in the house, I don't think anyone can come inspect it to make sure your living conditions comply with the code! Free Country and all that. Unless, of course, someone reports you to the authorities for child neglect or something.

sourstix

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 3:29 pm
well pp in jackson are having a hard time they are getting violations for having a sukkah. and the non jews there are putting up signs saying "no sales keep strong." not sure about the wording but meaning dont sell your homes even though they are offered a lot more then they paid. they are coming up with all kinds of ideas how to make it hard for anyone living there. read the voice, and lakewood shopper to get a glimpse of the antisemitism. its including toms river too. I saw a sign there too.

sourstix

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 3:30 pm
please speak with pp living there to find out what is really happeining there. imamothers dont know but read those two newspapers and speak to someone

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:07 pm
Just to give you an idea of the acceptance of neighboring communities:

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co......html

An open house in Toms River got so ugly today, that police needed to respond to keep the situation under control ....

The incident began when a Toms River family decided to sell their home so they could be closer to their work. The home, near the Lakewood border, was listed privately, but things quickly turned ugly.

“Neighbors began harassing her online, calling her names etc. for wanting to sell her home,” a neighbor told TLS.

That’s when the family decided to list their home with a (Frum) broker, and make an open house with balloons and all, in an effort to show they won’t tolerate bullying.

“She decided there was no way she was going to live next to such people,” the neighbor said. “They were blasting me online,” the neighbor quoted the woman as saying.

But things got even worse.

Today, during the open house hours, neighbors got together and all parked their vehicles on the street, in an apparent protest and ensuring the visitors don’t have anywhere to park.

One female neighbor, sources told TLS, even came out in an inappropriate bathing suit, despite the chilly weather.

“The way I see this,” said a Toms River resident, “is that it was about not wanting them to sell to a specific group of people. And coming out in a bathing suit in this weather – it wasn’t to enjoy the warm weather. It was clearly to incite.”

Multiple police officers responded to the scene to keep it from getting even further out of control.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating