Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you believe in global warming?
1  2  3  Next

Do you believe in global warming?
Of course, it's science!  
 30%  [ 25 ]
Oh please, it's all politics!  
 38%  [ 32 ]
What's global warming?  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Is it in the Torah? Maybe it's a sign that Moshiach is coming!  
 2%  [ 2 ]
all of the above  
 1%  [ 1 ]
some of the above  
 12%  [ 10 ]
none of the above  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Wait, what was the question again?  
 2%  [ 2 ]
other, which I will explain in painstaking detail below  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 83

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 12:38 am
It's supposed to be a record high for this time of year in the NY area tomorrow - above 70 degrees in November.

What do you think?

Discuss.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 12:50 am
I believe in global warming, but I don't like extrapolating from one day. I remember it being in the seventies in November when I was in High School, many years ago.
Also, per this chart, it will only break the record if it goes above 77:

http://www.intellicast.com/Loc.....Y0996

Are there respected scientists who actually contest that the earth is warming? I thought the only disagreement was whether the warming was man-made or natural?

m in Israel

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 2:01 am
Like WhatFor said, you left out the key question. Most people who "don't believe" in global warming don't question the numbers. They question the causes -- meaning, is it man-made or part of a natural cycle of the earth warming and cooling over extended periods of time.

Additionally, global warming has nothing to do with the weather on any particular day. It doesn't mean that there won't be a record breaking cold day one day this winter, and a record breaking hot day or two doesn't "prove" it. The science of global warming looks at slight shifts in worldwide temperature averages over long periods of time -- hence "climate change" not "weather change".

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 3:14 am
El Nino affects world weather profoundly and may be moving itself, in one of its periodic moods. It has done this before. This is nature. It doesn't stay put. It runs around.

The sun is the big driver of climate. The sun is having itself a pale, meaning low-sunspot, maximum now. That may forebode cooling, not warming. Any warming would be to the good.

The sun, I read an astronomer say, IS the solar system: the planets are just the sun's pocket lint. They passively take what the sun puts out. It is a stable, middle aged yellow dwarf star, with a long life ahead of it, but it has moods. It fidgets. It hiccups. It's dynamic.

People should certainly take good and prudent care of the various environments, sea, air, water, soil, biodiversity. That has nothing to do with weather and even less with climate. Climate is a huge system with many vast forces in play, from solar activity, to the earth's magnetic field, to the sloshings about of its molten iron core, to ocean currents. People don't do anything to those things.

There is no use worrying about this.

I am no expert on this but I think I read, just this week, that polar ice (both poles) are increasing. Not decreasing. Increasing.

The fact is nobody knows anything at all. Another fact is that humanity copes and goes on.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 5:00 am
Nope. I believe in natural climate cycles that can fluctuate over many years, or even centuries.

Look at the rings in trees, or core samples from icebergs. Some bands are thick, some are thin, some are hundreds or even thousands of years apart.

People are freaking out because only in the last 100 years or so has anyone even had the interest or capability of tracking and charting the weather. IMHO, it's extremely short sighted.

That said, I do recycle, try to reduce my carbon footprint, stay away from chemicals when I can, etc. I do it because it is good common sense, not because I think we're all going to be extinct in 20 years.

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 6:55 am
I thought it was called climate change nowadays.

Yes, I do believe things we do can effect the climate.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 7:07 am
Raisin wrote:
I thought it was called climate change nowadays.

Yes, I do believe things we do can effect the climate.

I think most people acknowledge this. I think the main questions are whether trends are statistically significant, whether basic data is accurate, and what percentage of any observed changes are attributable to human activity.

The topic is so politicized that I really don't know what to think or whose data/studies to trust.

Politicizing science is a great way to take us back to the Dark Ages.

animeme

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 7:23 am
I was particularly interested in a recent article about scientists finding that polar icebergs had grown, not shrunk, leaving rising season to be explained by something else. My understanding has always been that melting icebergs was a pretty key piece of mainstream climate change theory.

I honestly don't known overall. The issue is so politicized now that I feel like I need a knowledge base to decide, and I don't really have one.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 7:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Nope. I believe in natural climate cycles that can fluctuate over many years, or even centuries.

Look at the rings in trees, or core samples from icebergs. Some bands are thick, some are thin, some are hundreds or even thousands of years apart.

People are freaking out because only in the last 100 years or so has anyone even had the interest or capability of tracking and charting the weather. IMHO, it's extremely short sighted.

That said, I do recycle, try to reduce my carbon footprint, stay away from chemicals when I can, etc. I do it because it is good common sense, not because I think we're all going to be extinct in 20 years.

Well said. Thanks for saying it for me.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 8:01 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Ya this is exactly what I believe. I also believe that it is being pushed as a political agenda. The president calls people who don't think it is 100% man made stupid, and certain bills have snarky additions for money for tin foil hats for climate deniers.

I am anonymous because my husband is so far the other way he would divorce me if he found out I did not believe as he does about climate change.

fashgurl

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 8:17 am
I believe G-d runs the world, and if we really, really knew that we wouldn't waste time on things that are way beyond our control, a few less emissions here and there aren't going to help anyone.

BTW, there was an interesting article by R' Dovid Kaplan when the King of climate change, Al Gore was running for president, it basically quoted a study that showed the geographical area of Gore voters were a whole lot less charitable than the 'dumb' Bush voters, reason being, that straight G-d fearing people who can see good and evil, and are naturally good people, don't need nonsensical agendas to salve their conscience, it's the same with the BDS, and other anti-Israel groups, save the animals and radical feminists and other groups, they need something to balance their G-dless and meaningless existence...

Hope I haven't made too many enemies with that rant!

WhatFor

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 8:29 am
Further to my post above, I do believe human activity can affect climate change.

Interestingly, this is now happening:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11......html

imasoftov

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 8:36 am

ETA: the image has gone away, but it said "science is true even if you don't believe in it".

Last edited by imasoftov on Sat, Oct 24 2020, 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

imasoftov

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 8:46 am
fashgurl wrote:
I believe G-d runs the world, and if we really, really knew that we wouldn't waste time on things that are way beyond our control, a few less emissions here and there aren't going to help anyone.

“When God created the first human beings, God led them around the Garden of Eden and said: “Look at my works! See how beautiful they are—how excellent! For your sake I created them all. See to it that you do not spoil and destroy My world; for if you do, there will be no one else to repair it.” (Kohelet Rabbah, 7)

Hebrew text here - when I try tp paste it it comes out backwards
http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/tos.....htm#1

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 8:51 am
Rutabaga wrote:
It's supposed to be a record high for this time of year in the NY area tomorrow - above 70 degrees in November.

What do you think?...

Climate is not weather.

There is such big money in pushing particular political agendas that science isn't science anymore. There is ample evidence that the many of the statistics used to "prove" global warming have been skewed. As Mark Twain (and others) said: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Even the people who who believe in "global warming" have had to rename it "climate change" — which covers everything, doesn't it?

smilingmom

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 9:21 am
I think a major point to remember is that Hashem runs the world and there are many positive points to global warming.
As the ice melts, the water is extremely rich in minerals. The size of salmon up in Alaska has increased as the glaciers melt.
As the ice melts, their is greater plant life. Plants are essential to our environmental health, as opposed to ice, which may be pretty, but has no intrinsic positive value for humanity.

Also, though I feel sorry for people who choose to live on the beach and shores and may lose their home as water levels rise, they can move inland. Nature trumps people desire for a beautiful seaside view.

We must respect nature.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 9:27 am
smilingmom wrote:
I think a major point to remember is that Hashem runs the world and there are many positive points to global warming.
As the ice melts, the water is extremely rich in minerals. The size of salmon up in Alaska has increased as the glaciers melt.
As the ice melts, their is greater plant life. Plants are essential to our environmental health, as opposed to ice, which may be pretty, but has no intrinsic positive value for humanity.

Also, though I feel sorry for people who choose to live on the beach and shores and may lose their home as water levels rise, they can move inland. Nature trumps people desire for a beautiful seaside view.

We must respect nature.

Also maybe the people who used to live on the beach will evolve gills.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 9:28 am
There were many Novembers and Decembers that were warm they called it Indian summer - and last winter was on of the coldest ever - even so there will be a warmish day in January February. About 2 weeks ago it was in the 30s - they're saying things like they're predicting - only Hashem runs the world

pause

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 11:16 am
smilingmom wrote:

We must respect nature.

I don't get what you are saying.

The size of salmon may have increased, but many arctic animals and plants are dying out because of the increased temperatures in their environment.

You are saying global warming is nature and we must respect it. If global warming is nature, then yes, leave well enough alone. But there is enough evidence to believe that we humans have had a hand in this. And if global warming is man-made we need to do whatever we can to reverse the trend.

STMommy

Post Fri, Nov 06 2015, 11:30 am
I think the argument AGAINST global warming is what's politically motivated, but that wasn't a choice Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics