Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How long to you keep arts n crafts?

itsme123

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:18 am
When your toddler brings home weekly arts n crafts how long do you keep it? Over the weekend? Till the next arts n craft? Or do you keep them forever??

5mom

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 4:04 am
Unless it's really extraordinary, put it on the fridge or bulletin board till the next one comes. Then take a picture and throw it out. At the end of the year, if you are so inclined, make an album.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 4:37 am
I ask the child if they're ready to part with it. I usually wait until the next one comes so it's like "Now that you have the Chayei Sarah picture, are you finished with the Vayeira picture?" Paper things up to a point get hung up often and sometimes kept for longer just because they're flat and easy to miss in the general mess that's always going around here, and we sift through them once in a while. Bulkier projects I'm more inclined to take a picture and then toss.

I think this might also depend on your customer.
My first child was very into her projects and had a really long memory. L-rd save you if you threw anything out without her permission. But she was also pretty reasonable about throwing things out - she understood the concept of taking a picture that will last "forever" and being ok with throwing out the project because we have the picture, and she understood space constraints, and she understood the relative value of another scribbled paper vs a project that she'd worked harder on.
DD#2 is the total opposite. She won't always notice if you sneak her stuff into the garbage. it goes against my principles to do so, but I feel like I have to because she will never consent to it willingly. And she is strong-willed enough that once I ask her, if she says no we will have to live with the thing forever but if I just assume on my own that she's forgotten something if she hasn't asked for it in a couple of weeks, she'll never notice or miss it. She has no concept of space, just keeps loading up her drawer with treasures I.e. every paper she's ever touched with a crayon, and it gets ridiculous. I think I am going to have to work on this because the sneak-thieving is really not a way of life for me. fortunately she doesn't get too attached to too many things... but those things... I think we still have her eisav and yaakov puppets from last year, all their parts have fallen off so they're basically styrofoam eggs on tongue depressors but they aren't going anywhere or we may never hear the end of it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 5:23 am
I am the oldest child in my family. When I was in nursery my mother lovingly placed each project in a storage box. One day she was talking to a mom with 3 kids who said "a project gets one day on the fridge and then gets discarded". My mother was horrified... till she had 3 kids and no place for the projects. Then took a similar stance. Wink

HelloG

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 5:46 am
I don't keep them long but I think if it's hurtful or not to the child, depends on how the child got used to from early on,

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:58 am
I make a fuss when they come home. They get shown to Totty and then go right in the garbage after the kids go to sleep except for Purim projects.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics