Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where to live?
1  2  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 6:55 am
I know that this has been asked a lot in here. But we have been discussing aliyah again recently and now that we are here on a trip, we think that if we can make it work financially then we want to make aliyah.

Who we are: family of 6 with kids who would be in grades 5-9 next school year. So we are talking older kids. Dati Leumi but I don't need to live in an area where everyone is the samesame. I want to learn Hebrew. I speak an okay intermediate Hebrew but lack confidence so would definitely need ulpan.

Low cost of living as we own a home in the US and can't sell it now.

Dh works in what you call high tech here, but obviously no jobs yet as we don't have a concrete plan. I would actually like to open a Gan or daycare for babies in my home if possible.

So, any ideas? Modiin and Bet shemesh seem too crowded for me. I am not a fan of cities, but I understand their convenience.

Thanks!

catonmylap

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:02 am
Maale Adumim?
Hashmonaim?
Efrat?

With older kids, you need enough of an Anglo presence that they will have some other English speakers...

Maale Adumim is a nice of combo of city/yishuv, while more expensive than some other places, you can live comfortably with one car (and even make it with no car if you can't afford one) -- if you go out to a 'real' yishuv, you might even need 2 cars...

Sanguine

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:05 am
amother wrote:
So, any ideas? Modiin and Bet shemesh seem too crowded for me. I am not a fan of cities, but I understand their convenience.
Would you consider a Yishuv? Our Yishuv, for example, has a mall, swimming pool, Kupat Cholim, bakeries, supermarket, fruit stores, clothing stores, shoe stores, public transportation, schools... And we're only 15 minutes from Kfar Saba, 15 minutes to the train which gets you to Tel Aviv in 15 minutes (if your husband find work there). Many anglos in our community yet it's an Israeli community.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:05 am
Good point about the cars. We would probably start out without a car if possible to minimize costs. We are so used to having a car so who knows how long that will last.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:06 am
Yes Sanguine. We are open to anything if we think it would be a good place for our kids. Where are you located?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:15 am
amother wrote:
Yes Sanguine. We are open to anything if we think it would be a good place for our kids. Where are you located?
I'm in Ginot Shomron. Some people call it Neve Aliza if you've heard of that. We're just 15 minutes from Kfar Saba (half an hour from Ranana). Housing is much cheaper than a city though it's not super cheap anymore. A lot of new Olim with kids your kid's ages. You're here on a trip now? Come visit. Where are you from? (Do you know anyone here?). It would be a great place for your kids cause we're used to Olim but kids Israelize quickly here. Is the one going into 9th a boy or girl? (we had a baby slump that year - the year after we started a baby boom)

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:22 am
That one is a boy. We are here now. We don't have a car but we might be renting one again while here so I will be in touch.

What is the commute like into tel Aviv? Is it awful to do on a regular basis?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
That one is a boy. We are here now. We don't have a car but we might be renting one again while here so I will be in touch.

What is the commute like into tel Aviv? Is it awful to do on a regular basis?
I think boy for that grade is OK (even Olim from a few years ago). The other grades have lots of kids.

The commute to Tel Aviv is really good. In general pepole don't drive into Tel Aviv for work (like Manhattan - crazy traffic and no parking). The train is just 15-20 minutes away (no traffic), lots of rides so you don't need a car to get to work. Then the train is only 15 minutes into Tel Aviv. Lots of people work in Tel Aviv.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:48 am
I think you will need to research schools and start looking for jobs as well as searching out hashkafically-suitable communities.

Also, don't assume all high-tech jobs are located in downtown Tel Aviv. There are jobs in Herzliya, Ra'anana, Rehovot, Kiryat Gat, Beer Sheva, Haifa, Jerushalayim, etc etc etc. I recommend to start scouting out possible jobs to help narrow down your community search geographically.

If you are not planning on having a car, then choose a place with good pubic transportation (like a city), or make obtaining a car a priority in the near future (say, within x months from aliyah).

Once you get a list of possible target cities, plan a pilot trip. Make community contacts and get in touch with people with kids your DC's ages so you can ask about schools, etc.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 1:55 pm
OP here again. Does anyone know anything about Hadera? It looks good on paper, but I am looking for some insider information.

Also, is there ever any interest in an English speaking daycare in a home? Reinventing myself possibly.

Thanks

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
OP here again. Does anyone know anything about Hadera? It looks good on paper, but I am looking for some insider information.

Also, is there ever any interest in an English speaking daycare in a home? Reinventing myself possibly.

Thanks

I think if you're working with babies or young toddlers, language wouldn't be an issue. My sense is that a lot of Israeli parents would love a daycare where English is frequently spoken, but would also want some Hebrew (being in daycare is hard enough for some kids without a second language). But you don't need very high-level Hebrew to work with toddlers.

There's also the option of an English speaking daycare marketed mostly to English speaking families, but I think you might need to be in a heavily anglo area for that to work.

If I remember I'll ask some of the (non-anglo) Israelis around here what they think.

luppamom

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:29 pm
OP,

Can I throw out the suggestion of Neve Shaanan, Haifa? Nice DL community with English speakers. (A lot of Technion students.) There are lots of high-tech jobs in the Haifa area too.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 11:46 pm
Thanks, I will into that town.

As for daycare, I do speak Hebrew and can certainly speak it to babies and toddlers, because they won't care about my grammar. It's more that I'm not ready to speak Hebrew frequently to adults yet. I certainly need ulpan to help with my skills and confidence.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:21 am
Are you planning on working right away, or do you plan on attending ulpan first?

If possible, I'd opt for the latter option. Ulpan is intensive, but it's a worthwhile investment of your time.

etky

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:28 am
I'll also throw out the idea of Yokneam Illit.
It's a high-tech area also with a DL community and Anglos and right off of kvish 6.
Maybe check it out too.

luppamom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:49 am
etky wrote:
I'll also throw out the idea of Yokneam Illit.
It's a high-tech area also with a DL community and Anglos and right off of kvish 6.
Maybe check it out too.

Pretty near Haifa too. Gives you more shopping and job advantages!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:48 am
Thanks, I will check out the suggested places. I would like to move and then do ulpan. My husband can likely skip ulpan as his Hebrew is quite good and one of us needs to work.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:58 am
What about Kochav Yaakov? And could you do ulpan and also babysit or have a tzaharon in the afternoon?

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 8:59 am
esheschayil wrote:
What about Kochav Yaakov? And could you do ulpan and also babysit or have a tzaharon in the afternoon?

If OP has school-aged children, I assume there will be her own children at home in the afternoons.

luppamom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:00 am
Keep in mind that you will also have Sal Klita. That money is meant for letting you attend Ulpan and get situated without having to worry about jobs right away. When I made aliya in 2014, it was a nice sum of money and that was only me + a baby making aliya. (DH had been in Israel for too long prior to aliya.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions