Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
5 year old who hyperfocuses on violence

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 7:27 am
DS will be 5 next month. He is in the pre k class at an OOT Bais Yaakov. He had a very mixed experience in his playgroup last year. Overall he seems to be doing better this year between better morahs and weekly OT. But....

He perseverates on anything with a hint of violence and I don't know how to get it out of his system. If its in the parsha, the news, the AIM magazine which I am on the border of hiding permanently after last weeks spread on Cecil the Lion, he talks about it constantly. He is such a warm loving child but he cant stop using violent language and I am at the end of my rope. I will take any suggestions you all have please.

Last edited by mha3484 on Mon, Nov 09 2015, 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

sourstix

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 7:34 am
he is not 5 yet. its normal for kids to use that type of language to get your reaction. take away all books or characters with violent stuff. speak softly when he says anything thats violent. say its not nice to talk this way. speak nicely. and dont get dramatic. or yell. it will exacerbate the issue. boys have this macho language. they bring it also from other kids. dont overeact. just keep on reminding him.

sourstix

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 7:37 am
btw I also stopped getting aim magazine for that reason too. I found it too unrefined for my kids. although some of the stories are great. but the language they use isnt for me.
also if he tends to draw to violent stuff there isnt much you can do except to bring in stuff that has no violence in it. you didnt mention what the words are. it depends what they are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)