Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tummy Time

pink_nails

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 9:02 pm
My 5 month old doesn't love tummy time and I also think he's doing it the wrong way! sounds crazy? he lays on his stomach but he pants and puffs so badly, doesn't really use his hands to hold him up he's using his stomach muscles and feet keep coming up off the floor and hands fly to his side. Am I supposed to keep putting his hands back in front of him and hold his feet to the floor or should I just let him do it his way?
Today's day they're so into babies being on the floor most of the day -preferably on the tummy since they have to strengthen head and palm muscles... I just want him to be doing it right! what should I do? leave it?

loveandpeace

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 9:27 pm
can he hold his head up?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 9:41 pm
I never heard its for their palms... its for head, neck and shoulders as far as I remember. my 5mo rests on her forearms not her hands.

why would you hold his feet? and I never heard they recommend tummy time all day... just as much as possible for min of 20min a day (and doesnt have to be 20 min straight.)

im not a professional tho but if your very concerned you should ask your dr. can also search youtube for 5mo development or tummy time 5mo etc

dr. pepper

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 10:12 pm
I would recommend asking your doctor or a PT you might know.

I personally have my kids on their bellies right away...even for sleeping. So I am not the best person to ask...

Good luck!

pink_nails

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:56 pm
It's funny cuz my babies sleep on their stomach so he should really be ok with it but he isn't. He doesn't last on his tummy for more then 10 or 15 min. And doesn't seem to be turning over in the near future either Sad .

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:16 am
pink_nails wrote:
My 5 month old doesn't love tummy time and I also think he's doing it the wrong way! sounds crazy? he lays on his stomach but he pants and puffs so badly, doesn't really use his hands to hold him up he's using his stomach muscles and feet keep coming up off the floor and hands fly to his side. Am I supposed to keep putting his hands back in front of him and hold his feet to the floor or should I just let him do it his way?
Today's day they're so into babies being on the floor most of the day -preferably on the tummy since they have to strengthen head and palm muscles... I just want him to be doing it right! what should I do? leave it?
tummy time is not to strengthen the head and palm muscles. Its to strengthen the neck, thats all. I dont think it matters where the hands are.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:21 am
You might ask the ped if his abilities are all right for his age. The ped will know.

If you have his father throw him around, he will be happy and strong too.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:40 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
You might ask the ped if his abilities are all right for his age. The ped will know.

If you have his father throw him around, he will be happy and strong too.
what does throwing a baby around have anything to do with tummy time?

sped

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 2:26 am
Does he look like an "airplane" flying? There is a simple method you can use to help him move to a more standard position. What is happening is that instead of using his shoulder and neck muscles, he is using his stomach muscles. I can try to describe what to do, but you really need it shown. It is kedai to see an OT or PT that works with babies.
(If you live in Y-m, we can try to meet, but in any case I would suggest seeing a PT/OT)

4eyes

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:38 am
If they are doing the feet up airplane kind of thing: Pediatrician, who is a developmental expert told me to put a hand on the baby's tushy and hold it down so that they stop using their tummy muscles, start using their neck and shoulders. You can also keep propping the baby on their forearms. When they plop down just put them back and eventually they get the idea.

sped

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 8:17 am
TH eidea, thoug is not to push it down but to do it in a gradual, stroking, gentle motion so they do the work themselves and hopefully hold the position.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 9:30 am
I was told to push the baby's elbows under the chest/chin. It forces the correct position. Just keep pushing them back.

pink_nails

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 10:50 am
sped can you try to explain the airplane method?

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:25 pm
Op try propping a little wedge pillow under baby's chest to help them be more supported. Make sure there are fun toys to look at during tummy time like a mirror. If you're concerned definitely mention in to your pediatrician.

HelloG

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 1:40 pm
Did u try a boppy pillow (at least I think it's called that way)
The round pillow that ppl use when traveling.
I got that with a mat and attached toys
First few days I had to sit with DC until they got the hang of it

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:27 am
I never do tummy time (never told to) and kids all end up walking Smile
My babies who like it put themselves on the tummy though.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:41 am
Sounds 100% normal to me. He's learning a new skill. Just because you know how he should be doing it doesn't mean he can learn to do it overnight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics