Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bedtime woes

Jewishmofm

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:27 pm
We had an awesome bedtime routine going for our kids. It was one of those things that just went well for us, b"h. Until last year around pesach time. Nothing specific changed. I thought it was jus a Yom tov thing, but here we are still struggling. The kids who its not working for are 8,6, and 4. Last week I offered them each an incentive (a hot drink in the morning) which they were super excited about. It's only worked twice since then, and tonight has been HORRIBLE.
Oh, mamas, please let me drink of your combined wisdom in this field!

mary6

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:38 pm
I'm following. I'm going out of my mind with my kids they are up till 9:00 every night and then can't get out of bed in the morning! HELP!!!!

chani8

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 4:53 am
Whatever time you want them up in the morning, put them to bed 12 hours before, is a general rule of thumb.

The method that works best imo, to get kids to fall asleep, is to sit there with them, in the room with them, not allowing talking, until they finally give up and fall asleep.

(I've never had to use bribes. My sitting there with them was the 'treat'.)

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 12:15 am
Mary- Thanks for weighing in- is nice to know we're not alone in this!
Chani- I have always stayed in the room.it's part of the routine we used with some success...I don't always wait until they are asleep, just "settled". If I can, I stay until they sleep. If not (baby needs me, meetings) I stay about 10 minutes.

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 2:31 am
Sounds like 'baby needs me' is the reason your kids are not going to bed nicely. The are unsettled. About the baby? Not getting enough individualized attention?? You only need to give each one about 10 minutes of undivided attention. Go by the clock even. Try that, not at bedtime, and see if it helps. And NEVER use 'baby needs me' as a reason . . . for anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children