Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Would you live next to a registered offender?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:46 pm
I just found out that right across the street from the house that we are seriously considering lives a registered sx offender.

While I understand that at any moment an offender might come to live on a block, what do you think about moving to a house knowing someone like that is living across the street, lechatchila. As an aside apparently the house he lives in was purchased by his relatives About a year ago, so can't hope he's going anywhere or the house is going to be sold to someone soon.

I've just found out and it gives me serious creeps. And the house we've been looking into is a metziah money wise. We might not even end up living in it ourselves but what if we do end up moving there?

Please share your opinions.

And no, I don't let my young kids roam the streets on their own but still I feel very, very uncomfortable about it.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 11:54 pm
I wouldn't move there - not a chance. If you are seriously going forward then find out why he is registered. Sometimes they register people for nonsense like a 19 yr old having a picture of his 17 yr old girlfriend. While not every registered offender is a dangerous predator, they are a sleazy bunch.

loveandpeace

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:01 am
A registered offender lives across the street. Would you let your child or little sister move there?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:02 am
It says in the profile convicted in 2004, at age 29. But it specifies "high risk."

I feel like I want to throw up.
And crawl back under the rock in my farfrumt neighborhood.

And annoyed at the situation, will tell my husband tomorrow and see what he says.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:02 am
What was the offense? I would look more into it. Urinating in public can put you on the registry.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:07 am
loveandpeace wrote:
A registered offender lives across the street. Would you let your child or little sister move there?

No.

Does that also mean we shouldn't buy it and rent it out? Maybe he'll get out of there one day and then we could move in.. Just musing.

I don't know what to make out of it. We have been trying to move from our current place for quite a few years, unsuccessfully. We have our reasons for moving, or so we think. I am really tired because of the lack of clarity.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:08 am
justforfun87 wrote:
What was the offense? I would look more into it. Urinating in public can put you on the registry.

For some reason there are no specifics, not that I would want to know the details.

It does say "high risk"

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:08 am
I used to live next door to a registered offender.
It was creepy, but ok.
I'm the type of mom that watches her children, doesnt let little ones outside alone, and educates the older ones real well.
So was never an issue for us.

Any neighbor or relative out there can be a creep that you may be unaware of.
Just keep your eyes open and your children informed.

loveandpeace

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:12 am
amother wrote:
No.

Does that also mean we shouldn't buy it and rent it out? Maybe he'll get out of there one day and then we could move in.. Just musing.

I don't know what to make out of it. We have been trying to move from our current place for quite a few years, unsuccessfully. We have our reasons for moving, or so we think. I am really tired because of the lack of clarity.

You have your answer. Hashem will help you. U just gotta talk to him.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:15 am
amother wrote:
For some reason there are no specifics, not that I would want to know the details.

It does say "high risk"

You can call your local PD for more information. High risk isn't a teenage boy urinating in public, it's serious business.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:20 am
I would try to get his name and do a case search, it is public information. The court house may have more specifics of the case. If he was a child molestor, I would stay far far away.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:32 am
loveandpeace wrote:
You have your answer. Hashem will help you. U just gotta talk to him.

Thank you, you are right. And bolded helps.

The irony is that one of the reasons we have been trying to move from our current place is that one of our immediate neighbors has become known to us for domestic violence, and was (in past) aggressive towards our little children and me.

And I've spoken to hashem plenty about it.
This moving saga has been going on for almost 4 years.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:38 am
There are no bargains. The lower price just shows you what the owner has to sacrifice to sell, in this circumstance. Do you want to be in his position?

And, what is the dollar value of a unit of your anxiety? You will be paying full price for the house.

Why do you think those laws exist at all?

No.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:50 am
justforfun87 wrote:
I would try to get his name and do a case search, it is public information. The court house may have more specifics of the case. If he was a child molestor, I would stay far far away.

Thank you.

I've just googled it.
Wow just wow.
The place though being a mansion appears to be a drug hub where a raid was done 2 years ago with the same person being arrested for possession of loads of drugs. He also seems to have had other arrests. And there is also a brother there with history of burglaries, assaults and who knows what.

All that in a "nice, safe" area.

My god, Baruch HaShem it dawned on me to even look up the registry. We gave a verbal offer just today, without any written or financial commitments.

Actually, originally I thought of checking to make sure there were no churches in close proximity that may disturb with their bells or whatever it is that they use.

Hodu lashem

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 1:26 am
I live next door to a registered s-x offender who left America and fled to Israel.
Unfortunately, especially in an apartment building with 30 people in each building,there is little you can do to make sure you have safe neighbors.
That being said, I just make sure to watch my kids really carefully and to leave the park or play areas if I see him.

I wouldn't do it lechatchila if I had a choice. It's scary and you are always looking behind your back to make sure he is not there.

treestump

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 1:50 am
When I was a child, there used to be a creep on my who was also very involved in quite a successful drug business... We all minded our own business and our parents made sure we stayed far away. Well, one day someone caught him trying to give drugs to a teen on the block to 'try it out'. Shortly afterwards, he tried breaking into our house- presumably to feed his drug addiction. (At this point he was arrested, very briefly, as we caught him before he did anything.) We moved two months later...

Honestly, if I moved somewhere where I knew there was a s-x offender and he did something to my child somehow... I don't know if I would be able to live with the guilt.

Then again, I would probably ask Daas Torah before doing such a thing anyway... I wouldn't feel comfortable making a decision that potentially has dreadful ramifications.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 1:53 am
amother wrote:
Thank you.

I've just googled it.
Wow just wow.
The place though being a mansion appears to be a drug hub where a raid was done 2 years ago with the same person being arrested for possession of loads of drugs. He also seems to have had other arrests. And there is also a brother there with history of burglaries, assaults and who knows what.

All that in a "nice, safe" area.

My god, Baruch HaShem it dawned on me to even look up the registry. We gave a verbal offer just today, without any written or financial commitments.

Actually, originally I thought of checking to make sure there were no churches in close proximity that may disturb with their bells or whatever it is that they use.

Hodu lashem

I'd be much more concerned about living next to a "high risk" sx offender than near a church.

bandcm

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 5:10 am
Now you know why the house is such a metziah.
'm glad you've already decided not to buy the house.
May you find a reasonable house in a safe neighbourhood soon!

nywife

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 6:33 am
I would count my blessings that I found out this information prior to making a commitment.
I hope you find another place soon and even if the price is higher try to remember that no amount is worth compromising the safety of your child.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 6:45 am
It sounds in this case that it's a definite no. High risk, drugs involved, yeah, you want to stay away. But in general, the term registry has little meaning without researching how he got there. Some people get on the registry because they slept with their 17 year old girlfriend when they were 18; people like that just don't deserve to be lumped with monsters. It's a big problem and one of the reasons people are working to change registry laws.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating