Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can a girl with celiac disease go to Israel for seminary?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 6:23 pm
We have a few years before we can start thinking about seminary, so this is purely for curiosity's sake. Can a girl with celiac go to Israel for seminary? Even if the school is willing to accommodate her, I would imagine it would be hard to find places to go for Shabbos. Should I start preparing my dd now, so that she won't be disappointed when the time comes? I know in her high school most girls do go to Israel.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 6:40 pm
I have a friend with Celiac that went to seminary. The school was accommodating and the girls were as well (not putting crumbly food into the cottage cheese containers etc or just allowed her to take first). Shabbos was more difficult for her- she warned the family and brought oat matzah or the like and made her own motzei. And then ate non grain foods. Most moms when told "allergic to all grain" will not make breaded chicken (or will leave a piece plain). She bought her own snacks and stuff- so more pocket money will be needed since the supplied breakfast is usually cereal so she will have to buy yogurts etc.
But I guess it depends on what seminary (smaller might be more accommodating than big schools) and how sensitive /fragile she is.

animeme

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 6:43 pm
Yes. It can definitely be done. You may need to choose your school carefully- she will need a kitchen. In terms of Shabbos, she can bring food with her if she needs, and/or find a family she connects with who is accomodating. I imagine/hope many seminaries by now have families in the housing databases that are good with this.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 6:47 pm
Thanks LittleDucky and animeme. She misses out on so much because of her celiac disease, and it just occurred to me that seminary in Israel may be a problem too. You've both given me hope that she will be able to go.

morah

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:01 pm
Remember also she is old enough to look after herself. She knows what to look for, how to ask what ingredients were used etc. Make sure the seminary can accommodate and that they set her up on Shabbos with understanding families.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:03 pm
I was with two girls in seminary with celiac disease... Seemed to work for them im sure wasnt easy but I think they enjoyed!

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:04 pm
I know a girl who went. She went to a school with a kitchen that anyway only provided 1 meal to the students. She spent some shabbosim with a family with children who have celiac, so the family anyway cooked to her specifications. When the time comes, post on here again or network other ways to find gluten free / celiac families in Israel- I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate your daughter, knowing firsthand how hard celiac can be!

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 8:18 pm
Yes. It's hard but it can be and has been done. She may have to make some of her own food, so factor in the expense and hassle, but if you otherwise want to go to seminary then it's not too much hassle to be worth it.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 9:19 pm
Even without access to a kitchen, my friend was able to go and perfectly fine. The school just didn't cook breaded food or had an alternate meal for her. And she bought stuff for her to eat/supplement. She didn't get to cook but did have a fridge (to share with a bunch of girls). Seminaries seem to have a rotation of meals (eg: every Monday is Chicken and rice) so she should be able to plan her needs around it.
When the time comes, please post the seminaries she is looking into and maybe someone on here can say how accommodating they might be. Again, seminaries with 150 girls will (odds are) not be as helpful as those with 30-50 girls.
She will be an adult who should be able to ask about ingredients and speak up for her needs.
She shouldn't have to miss out! I actually know a few girls with super severe allergies who went to Israel for seminary- the schools just worked with the girls!

shabri

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 4:51 am
I live in Israel and host many many seminary girls. I am happy to accommodate any issues (and there are many. nut allergy, celiac, vegetarian, vegan I once hosted a gluten free vegan) as long as I know in advance. PLease tell her to be upfront with her host family. There is nothing I hate more than having a guest who cant eat in my home when I easily could have switched my menu had I known

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 5:03 am
Look for Facebook groups like "Gluten Free in Israel", and reach out to families in the area of the school. You'd be surprised at how generous and accommodating strangers can be, when they understand first hand how hard it can be to get by with Celiac.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 5:08 am
Sure. I had a seminary classmate with celiac.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 6:39 am
Thanks everyone, I feel so much better now. I guess when the time comes we will have to find out exactly which seminary is best, but that could change in the next few years anyhow.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 7:02 am
I am an eim bayit in seminary and just want to say we have had plenty of gluten free girls over the years and we accommodate them beautifully.
As far as Shabbos, in sem we cook special foods for them and when they go out for shabbos they let the host know and it's usually not a problem. When the sem went to a hotel for shabbos we brought along food for the gluten free girls.
Most sems accommodate to a point. Some will bend over backwards like ours Smile but I think today when it is so common to have celiac that every seminary will accommodate in some way.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 7:09 am
I knew a girl who had a microwave and toaster oven. She was on the neve campus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics