Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Rebbe Salary
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:47 am
We currently live in the tri state area and my husband is considering becoming a rebbe. I know I know the jobs are very hard to find. I am just curious from all you rebbe wives, how much is the yearly salary of a rebbe. Please include what grade your husband teaches, the hours he works and the general area where you live. TIA.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:54 am
Do you teach as well? IME the answer is different if it's a "teaching couple" vs. just a rebbe. In the case of a teaching couple, the school sort of has to make a package for them that will work.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:25 am
I don't teach. I am an accountant. I would be open to working in the administrative office though.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:40 am
So I think that a full-time (8-4) elementary rebbe would start in the ballpark of $50k for the first year with potential raises once he gains experience. Also free tuition. Not sure how administrative work pays. OOT, small community.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 12:09 pm
we're also OOT, small community. My husband works in a school but NOT as a Rebbe and he accidentally saw a Rebbe's paycheck. A little over 20K. He was in total shock. I can't understand a REBBE being EXPECTED to do medicaid and food stamps. If a Rebbe has 12 kids and qualifies because he has an ok salary but too many kids for that salary, I don't AGREE with that plan, but at least the school isn't setting him UP for being on the dole.

Anon so it's not clear which community pays a Rebbe 20K.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
we're also OOT, small community. My husband works in a school but NOT as a Rebbe and he accidentally saw a Rebbe's paycheck. A little over 20K. He was in total shock. I can't understand a REBBE being EXPECTED to do medicaid and food stamps. If a Rebbe has 12 kids and qualifies because he has an ok salary but too many kids for that salary, I don't AGREE with that plan, but at least the school isn't setting him UP for being on the dole.

This is a part-time rebbe?
Yes, there are schools that arrange salaries specifically to keep teachers under the limit for Medicaid and food stamps. I don't like it either Sad

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:

I am going to guess that this Rebbe is a part time rebbi and hopefully he has an afternoon job or afternoon kollel as well.... because it is not at all normal for a rebbi to be paid $20k for full time. Even $20k sounds on the low side for part time too.

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:

A paycheck is not necessarily a complete picture .
Perhaps tuition for 10 children comes off his paycheck.
Maybe the school gives him free housing etc...

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 1:56 pm
And some schools pay Rabbeim in two checks. One regular and one for parsonage which is non-taxable.

leah233

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
And some schools pay Rabbeim in two checks. One regular and one for parsonage which is non-taxable.

You have to pay 15.3% self employment tax on parsonage. It also counts as income for EIC which could be a lot of money for a low income rebbe

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
So I think that a full-time (8-4) elementary rebbe would start in the ballpark of $50k for the first year with potential raises once he gains experience. Also free tuition. Not sure how administrative work pays. OOT, small community.

This exactly

nyer1

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 4:20 pm
cnc wrote:
A paycheck is not necessarily a complete picture .
Perhaps tuition for 10 children comes off his paycheck.
Maybe the school gives him free housing etc...

yeah but. tuition might be covered, but um, what about food? and no, I HIGHLY doubt free housing is given.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 4:55 pm
My husband works as a rebbe in a ny borough. He makes 30k, works from 7:30-12:45. Our children do not go to that school so no breaks on children's tuition.
Edited to add that he teaches 6th grade.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 5:06 pm
15 years ago my husband was offered a job as a full time elementary rebbe in Brooklyn. He was offered $40,000 a year. His only experience was substituting for that school over the course of a year. We only had one baby girl at the time so any free tuition would have been a long time in the future, if he would have taken that job.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 7:31 pm
My husband teaches in a special needs boys high school. He is there four days a week for the afternoon, supper, and night seder. He earns $19,000. There is not a single other benefit attached. Free tuition wouldn't apply, no health benefits, and definitely no housing ( that's pretty laughable - how many Rebbe's really get free housing??!!). I think 20,000 for a starting part time Rebbe is actually somewhat standard, often with no benefits.

He was once offered an elementary school job that came with free tuition, but for that they only offered him $5,000, figuring that the tuition was worth at least $15,000.

This is in a large OOT community.

Miri7

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 7:38 pm
leah233 wrote:
You have to pay 15.3% self employment tax on parsonage. It also counts as income for EIC which could be a lot of money for a low income rebbe

Are you sure this is right? My DH earns a certain amount, and up to a certain amount of that his employer has designated as parsonage. He just gets one paycheck. Then, at the end of the year, we add up how much we have spent on expenses that can be counted for parsonage (rent, utilities, furnishings, etc), and we claim that amount as parsonage, and that is excluded from our taxable income.

My DH is employed full time, so he doesn't pay self-employment tax - he is taxed on all of his income as a regular employee at whatever the applicable rate is for us that year based on total taxable income.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:30 pm
how much would MO highschool rebbe make. we are definitely yeshivish but my husband is clean shaven, open minded and wordly. he has a bachelors in talmudic law and semicha. would they even look at him or would he need some kind of judaic study teachers degree. im thinking specifically of long island schools like hanc or haftr but if u have info on any MO scho please share. thanks.

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
My husband teaches in a special needs boys high school. He is there four days a week for the afternoon, supper, and night seder. He earns $19,000. There is not a single other benefit attached. Free tuition wouldn't apply, no health benefits, and definitely no housing ( that's pretty laughable - how many Rebbe's really get free housing??!!). I think 20,000 for a starting part time Rebbe is actually somewhat standard, often with no benefits.

He was once offered an elementary school job that came with free tuition, but for that they only offered him $5,000, figuring that the tuition was worth at least $15,000.

This is in a large OOT community.

I've heard of free housing included in the package in out of town communities.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:18 pm
I live in the tri-state area, my husband is a first year rebbe this year and he's making a little over 30k. The job is 7:30-12:45 but it's not in our borough so there's also travel time. He also teaches in the afternoon. Depending on experience, grade, and how many periods, for secular studies teachers you can make another 20-30k. Maybe even more in better paying schools.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:52 pm
My husband is a rebbe in a Long Island high school. Salary is around 30-60k depending on work hours and experience.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics