Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Rebbe Salary
Previous  1  2

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:57 pm
My husband is a rebbi in a modern orthodox day school OOT. He works very full time, and his salary is about $50k. That's with almost 20 years teaching experience and a degree in education.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 6:54 am
Package for a couple of teachers? Salary depending on number of children? It is another planet... signed, a teacher married to a teacher

leah233

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 1:19 pm
Miri7 wrote:
Are you sure this is right? My DH earns a certain amount, and up to a certain amount of that his employer has designated as parsonage. He just gets one paycheck. Then, at the end of the year, we add up how much we have spent on expenses that can be counted for parsonage (rent, utilities, furnishings, etc), and we claim that amount as parsonage, and that is excluded from our taxable income.

My DH is employed full time, so he doesn't pay self-employment tax - he is taxed on all of his income as a regular employee at whatever the applicable rate is for us that year based on total taxable income.

Ask your accountant but the following is copied and pasted from the IRS website

Coverage of Members of the Clergy

The services you perform in the exercise of your ministry, of the duties required by your religious order, or of your profession as a Christian Science practitioner or reader are covered by social security and Medicare under SECA. Your earnings for these ministerial services (defined later) are subject to self-employment (SE) tax unless one of the following applies.

•You are a member of a religious order who has taken a vow of poverty.

•You ask the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for an exemption from SE tax for your services and the IRS approves your request. See Exemption From Self-Employment (SE) Tax , later.

•You are subject only to the social security laws of a foreign country under the provisions of a social security agreement between the United States and that country. For more information, see Bilateral Social Security (Totalization) Agreements in Publication 54.

Your earnings that are not from ministerial services may be subject to social security tax under FICA or SECA according to the rules that apply to taxpayers in general. See Ministerial Services , later.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:44 pm
OP here again. Just wanted to update this thread that my husband BH found a teaching job. Its in a boys yeshiva elementary school. Hours are 9-2 and the pay is 46k starting with a 1-2k raise a year. This job is an hr commute from where live so our son will not be attending the school so we wont be taking advantage of any tuition discounts Sad

roots1986

Post Sat, Jun 24 2017, 11:12 pm
is this gross income?
amother wrote:
OP here again. Just wanted to update this thread that my husband BH found a teaching job. Its in a boys yeshiva elementary school. Hours are 9-2 and the pay is 46k starting with a 1-2k raise a year. This job is an hr commute from where live so our son will not be attending the school so we wont be taking advantage of any tuition discounts Sad

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Jun 24 2017, 11:15 pm
$20000 is what a full time assistant makes oot.I imagine a rebbi has to be more

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:04 am
of course its gross!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:05 am
amother wrote:

From my experience that's a reasonably good starting salary! My husband started at 48,000 in his current job when he had abut 7 years teaching experience and a teaching degree, full time 8-4. My kids dont go there either - so no tuition breaks...

hatzlacha to your husband
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics