Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What does quality of life mean to you?
1  2  Next

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 4:27 pm
As far as the place where you live.

I can't figure out if the quality of life where I live stinks. I know I don't like it and I have lots of complaints, but with all things there are good things and bad things. The only thing is I think the good things has nothing to do with the quality of life here, but other things. Not like it makes any difference because I'm not moving, but please help me figure out what quality of life means as far as the place where you live. Thank you

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 4:29 pm
to me it means- is there a lot of traffic, honking cars, are people in the store, school.... pleasant, are people stressed out....

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
to me it means- is there a lot of traffic, honking cars, are people in the store, school.... pleasant, are people stressed out....

Yes, yes, yes!! And today was really bad!! Mad

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:01 pm
Quality of life means that you have enough living space to be comfortable. Your kids have a backyard and parks to run around in.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:12 pm
Quality of life means having what YOU need for your peace of mind and overall well-being. Some people love an action-packed life so much that they don't mind the noise and traffic and would be miserable in the country. Some people crave quiet and nature. Quality of life means different things to different people.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:06 pm
First I was going to say: quality of life means you have space, privacy, and money for cleaning help and occasional shopping sprees or take out.

Then I thought: But all that means nothing if you are not happy with safety, school options, and community.

And then I thought: And all that means nothing if your basics--like health, marriage, and kids--are not doing well.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:48 pm
Short, easy commute to work

heidi

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 12:34 am
I think quality of life is based on being comfortable and happy with your neighbors. Liking your house and feeling happy to come home to it and your community.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 6:51 am
My theory is, we're in galus, so pretty much no matter where you go, it will be 50% good and 50% bad. It all just depends on which half you look at.

Still, depending on your NEEDS, some places will suit your needs better than others. You have to make a cheshbon and figure out what area is best for you.

If you can't move, start focusing more on the 50% that is good for you, and work on turning a blind eye to the other half as much as possible.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 6:55 am
pesek zman wrote:
Short, easy commute to work

People move far from work to have quality of life lol!

pesek zman

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 7:40 am
Ruchel wrote:
People move far from work to have quality of life lol!

I agree that people do that, thinking that they will have greater quality of life. But speak to people who commute an hour ore more to/from work each day (especially if they have children at home, and especially if both Moms and Dads are doing the commute) and ask them if they feel they have quality of life, and they'll probably respond that they're not home long enough to know. I have found that a short, easy and predictable commute is the secret to a good life.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:39 am
pesek zman wrote:
I agree that people do that, thinking that they will have greater quality of life. But speak to people who commute an hour ore more to/from work each day (especially if they have children at home, and especially if both Moms and Dads are doing the commute) and ask them if they feel they have quality of life, and they'll probably respond that they're not home long enough to know. I have found that a short, easy and predictable commute is the secret to a good life.

Really? I know many people who would rather commute one hour each way or even more than live in a small apartment, for exemple, or in very urban area.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:08 am
So what would you say my quality of life is? I'm only going to mention the cons. Noise, pollution, traffic, smell (smokers galore), ugly, broken sidewalks, foot traffic, people are slow in movement, lousy playgrounds, no outdoor play space except parks, mostly apartment buildings and that's where we live. There might be more things, but that's all I could think of now.

As a side note, I'm in a different country than my home with a language that I barely speak and my husband is not home all week. Besides all that, I try to look at the bright side Very Happy , but I do have my moments.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:17 am
Ruchel wrote:
Really? I know many people who would rather commute one hour each way or even more than live in a small apartment, for exemple, or in very urban area.

I have a long commute between my pleasant suburban home and my gritty urban workplace. No, I would not move to the community where I work. The quality of life there is awful (crime, bad schools, etc). I work there because that is where the job is, and I need to work. If I could find something suitable closer to home I would apply in a heartbeat. Losing this much time to commuting is physically and emotionally draining, far from ideal, and yes, truly a decrease in quality of life for me.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:19 am
This is all highly subjective, of course.

Quality of life means to me:

- Personal safety
- Aesthetically pleasant surroundings
- Parks, green spaces
- Walkability
- Short commute to work
- Schools close by
- Kosher food/shul nearby
- Cultural activities nearby
- Clean air
- Housing affordability so our family has enough space
- Pleasant residents

I'm sure I forgot something, but you get the idea.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:43 am
It's funny, everyone thinks I have a great quality of life except for me. I have a nice house, in a safe neighborhood and good schools for the kids. But the community stinks, they're very materialistic and snobby. And I hate living in the suburbs. I'd move back to the city in a heartbeat if we could afford it. Even if it meant half the square footage we have now and losing the yard. I grew up without a yard and I turned out just fine.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
So what would you say my quality of life is? I'm only going to mention the cons. Noise, pollution, traffic, smell (smokers galore), ugly, broken sidewalks, foot traffic, people are slow in movement, lousy playgrounds, no outdoor play space except parks, mostly apartment buildings and that's where we live. There might be more things, but that's all I could think of now.

As a side note, I'm in a different country than my home with a language that I barely speak and my husband is not home all week. Besides all that, I try to look at the bright side Very Happy , but I do have my moments.

That's not a side note at all. Having a pleasant home life makes tolerating external annoyances easier (and vice-versa).

ShoshLay

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 3:11 pm
What Dr. Mom wrote is what we have in Harrisburg. There is really a good quality of life here. The circumstances of life are pleasant here (green, space, amenities, commuting, feeling of warmth and togetherness, not materialistic, totally affordable).

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 3:49 pm
ShoshLay wrote:
What Dr. Mom wrote is what we have in Harrisburg. There is really a good quality of life here. The circumstances of life are pleasant here (green, space, amenities, commuting, feeling of warmth and togetherness, not materialistic, totally affordable).

Can you tell me more about Harrisburg? We've been looking to relocate for a while and there is a big demand for my profession in Harrisburg, but I've been avoiding it bc I thought it was a dying community. Is there a day school? We are cHabad btw.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 4:12 pm
Living in a private house, on a quiet street with a big backyard and no nosy neighbors.
I moved from living in a multi family "yenta" home to a private house on a cul de sac with not a single jewish neighbor...I finally found peace!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating