Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Jerusalem learning for OTD daughter beginning to return

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 8:07 pm
My 20 year old daughter, who has many questions, is having a hard time locating a program that encourages questions and perhaps caters for baalei tshuva that used to be frum. She's free 8am to 4pm.

Any ideas?

treestump

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:16 pm
Level Five in Neve was geared for girls like this (and frum girls with questions/who want to explore Judaism more.)
I'm not sure if they have that this year, as Neve overhauled their entire program, but could be they still have it.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:21 pm
OP here. She tried Neve and it didn't work for her. I'm thinking something more off the beaten path.

treestump

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 12:44 am
There really aren't many options, despite the real need for such programs...
This might totally not be for your daughter- but there is a program, I think it's called Ohr Chaya Malchus, a learning center for women. I know two girls from Bais Yaakov backgrounds who had quite a journey to find their own paths who went there, and it was a great match and they really liked it.
Other than that- I'm afraid I don't know of any such places- unfortunately, because there really is a great need for it.
Good luck- I hope your daughter finds a place she's happy in and that's right for her.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 1:02 am
Maybe Eyaht? In theory it sounds a lot like Neve (learning program for baalos teshuva that also welcomes questioning/returning ffbs. But I don't think with the college program type setup) but in person I think it's a different flavor.

chani8

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 1:52 am
Is she israeli? If so, she could check out the various MO learning programs for that age. Perhaps post this question on the main board or the LII.

momaleh

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 2:26 am
I don't know if they are right for your daughter, but the other BT seminaries are shearim, which has a large crowd that's a bit older and also some ffbs, and Midreshet Rachel, which I know less about. Worth looking into both. Eyaht also, if that fits her style.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 3:00 am
I think Shearim is only for older girls.

momaleh

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 3:03 am
It's not, I used to teacher there, but it's for the post seminary girl, which your daughter fits.

November

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 7:16 am
What about Nishmat and/or Lindenbaum? They have some awesome learning programs for women of all ages.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 9:14 am
What's Lindenbaum? That's a new one I haven't heard of.

kollel wife

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 11:27 am
I would recommend EYAHT for this very much.
My experience is from many years ago (25 years). I was coming from a modern background, looking to be more frum, but with a lot of questions.

There were definitely girls there who had become less frum. I don't think the term OTD existed really yet.

The Baalei Teshuva were a real inspiration and forced the previously frum, to be honest, and questioning. I remember one girl, woman, really, in particular who was very blunt. For example - if you know xyz is true - how can you do ...

They actually were so excited about the beauty of different parts of Yiddishkeit - it was really eye opening to those who were originally frum - so it wasn't just the staff and material, but the students themselves.

These students had been very exposed, lived quite broad, successful lives.
Learning one and one was also very helpful - especially because of the different levels of text understood by the different types of students.

finallyamommy

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 12:58 pm
Oh PLEASE check out Midreshet Rachel. They don't push any hashkafah and they encourage questioning and it's such a warm environment.

fluffernutter

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 4:40 pm
Unfortunately, EYAHT closed last year. Sad

I heard there was a place through Aish (I think) called ReJEWvinate - or something along those lines. Some kind of word, with "Jew" in it. Its in Ramat Eshkol. I can try to find out. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 4:47 pm
It's called Jewessence

Jewessence.com

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 1:12 am
How is she doing?

I strongly recommend Nishmat. Also maybe Matan?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 1:20 am
amother wrote:
What's Lindenbaum? That's a new one I haven't heard of.

Not new at all, it's often called Brovenders for the head of the school. Like some other MO sems, has intense gemara. It's great for a girl who needs intellectual stimulation, but they don't do much warm fuzzy stuff. They have some girls who didn't grow up in such frum homes, but it is not a kiruv school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)