Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What to do with bread machine
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 9:54 pm
I know you can make bread, thanks.

DH bought me a bread machine and now I have to love it or else Rolling Eyes (I'm envisioning sending out like some kind of radio-wave bomb that will get the message into all males' heads that they should ASK their woman what she wants before selecting a gift)

I only eat whole wheat OR gluten-free, and try to stay very low on sugar. The recipes that came with the bread maker are almost all white, there is only one 100% whole wheat recipe and the rest are half "bread machine flour" or something like this. Plus many have a bunch of sugar in them. AND the only recipe for 100% whole wheat is for a 2-lb loaf. The machine has settings for 1lb and 1.5 lb breads but there are different recipes for each one and they don't all translate as being half/double so I'm not sure whether I can do that myself.

So I'm looking for more recipes to try, first of all, that are 100% whole wheat (white whole wheat also ok) and not too much sugar, and preferably honey as the sugar component.

Also wondering if you can do cakes or stuff with this too. I can't get around the idea of having a whole huge machine here taking up half my kitchen JUST for bread, which I was perfectly satisfied buying (I like the franczoz bread, it has a VERY clean ingredient list and tastes great, once I found that I didn't need anything else.)

And I remember reading somewhere about using a bread machine to make challah dough, then stopping it before it bakes, taking out the dough and shaping the challah by hand. This is something I could handle because I don't currently have a mixer suitable for challah dough, I used to love making it by hand but somehow it has become more tiresome for me (am I getting old?) and it doesn't bother me that it would be a small batch because I never make enough to take challah from anyway. One bread machine sized batch should be enough for one Shabbos for our family, I think. I usually make one batch of the Breslov No-fail Challah Recipe from imamother, and that lasts us 2 weeks (I freeze half.) Can something like that be adapted for this machine? Does anyone have a 100% whole wheat low-sugar/honey bread machine challah dough recipe?

Thanks in advance!

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:03 pm
I love my bread machine. But I am not cooking for a lot of people. Examine minutely the recipe book that came with the machine. Those recipes are correct for that exact machine, so I would make them exactly as specified.

I use my bread machine weekly to make bread dough. Then I form the breads and bake them, because one loaf won't do for the Shabbos table. There is a "dough" setting, use that. On mine, it's "7". I have marked my machine up with Sharpie notes about what to press for what, right on the keypad.

I make their basic "white French bread" recipe and throw raisins, or half a can of rinsed green or black olives in, when it beeps to "add" things. It beeps after the second rise, I think. You can also ignore the beeps and not throw anything in. For olives, scant the water. The olives add water.

I use the microwave to warm the water, in a glass measuring cup, for one minute, ten seconds. I use a Light crust setting. I cool the loaf(s) on a wire rack.

The dough comes out great, risen and ready to braid or form.

If I were having a lot of guests, it would be time for a Bosch. The Kitchen Aid will only make seven or eight cups of flour. I am told I can take Challah with a bracha with 1100 grams of flour, from the Kitchen Aid. I love my kitchen scale. To me, 4 1/2 cups weighs 17 ounces, or 1 pound 1 ounce, or on the machine, 1.10

So get to know the machine. Ponder its literature. You might get recipes from that exact manufacturer's website. There are whole books of recipes for bread machines.

Be careful not to lose the little paddle. I threw mine out by mistake and had to get one on eBay.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:11 pm
my bread machine is hands down my favorite kitchen appliance. I bake bread in it. I also make all sorts of doughs, challah, pizza, babka, garlic knots bread sticks etc. read the manuel but every machine I ever saw had a dough setting. also most machines have a 13 hr delay timer. u can dump all the ingrediants in at night and.wake up to the smell of fresh homemade bread in morning. here is a recipe for 100 percent whole wheat bread that I use. 1.5 c water 1.5 tbs oil 1.5 tsp salt 3 c flour 1.5 tsp yeast. recipe calls for 1 tsp sugar I skip it.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:28 pm
Yes there is a dough setting, I am just looking for a good challah dough recipe to use with it.

Dolly I read the book that came with it cover to cover, and there was only one recipe that had 100% whole wheat flour. Appalling. I will check if the website has any more.

It is an Oster machine. The one that KOAB linked to a day or two ago (I had just gotten mine and Amazon price-adjusted to the KOAB deal Very Happy )

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:35 pm
OK, but that one recipe may be your workhorse recipe. You only need one good recipe.

I use bread flour. It is heavier, has more protein and fiber than all-purpose flour, but it is not has heavy and stiff as whole wheat. (I use only brown rice however.)

Check if there is an "egg bread" recipe. That's their challah dough recipe.

I use "French bread white" for my challahs. You could say I make water challah. It's got one tablespoon of sugar for 2 pounds of dough. It's not much sugar. (For all other baking in the oven, I use agave syrup. But I stick with the exact recipe for the machine.)

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 10:57 pm
A 2 pound loaf is not a huge loaf. I only make that size, to get the most out of the effort of doing it at all. I think it is useful to weigh rather than scoop flour. I just put the bread pan on the scale and hit "tare" setting; then the flour I add is weighed alone.

"Bread flour" can be used when the pamphlet says "flour". That is not quite "white all purpose".

The sugar is eaten by the yeast. There is little or no sugar content in the finished bread. Well, depending the recipe.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:34 pm
Their 2 lb. whole wheat bread recipe calls for 1/3 c. of packed brown sugar. Not so much my speed. I use IIRC 1/4 c. honey in twice as much challah dough. So I dunno if this is going to be my go-to recipe. The franczoz health bread I like I don't think has any sugar in the ingredients, IIRC.

I am calling 2lb big because we usually buy 1-lb loaves. I would say in an average week we probably go through 2 of those or less, we're only 4 people, not huge bread eaters, and the kids' lunches are provided in school. I usually buy 2-3 at a time and freeze all but one at a time.

I don't have a scale. I don't have room for one, my kitchen is already full of breadmaker Wink

I thought the point of the machine is to eliminate "the effort of doing it at all." Though tbh I was still probably happier with buying bread, and you don't need to buy ingredients for that. This thing is saving me no time, no money, and no health, and it is costing me half my counter (OK not quite half but the counter is a LOOOOT smaller now. After the bread is done I'm going to have to find somewhere to stash it between uses. Stashing space is almost as dear here as counter space.) Some gift. And I'm being called ungrateful for not loving it. The bread better be good, it's taking ages to find out, DH already gave up and went to sleep. Good thing I still have work left to do here.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:39 pm
OH DRAT my whole house smells like bread now but there won't be any ready to eat for another half hour! And I'm not even hungry, dinner was filling and I've been snacking too, but my stomach is grumbling and my mouth is watering. DH is gonna get it for this one. His birthday is coming up, but he's not as easily annoyed as I am - what should I get him? Twisted Evil

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 12 2015, 11:41 pm
Maybe one of those impossible wine bottle lock puzzles. But he has the large-size Kedem wine bottles, I wonder if they make ones for that. But that might be too aggravating...

smss

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 12:58 am
Start googling. You can totally make whole-wheat no-sugar bread in a bread machine. You can make any bread!
I don't have a bread machine (we don't really do bread) but we had one growing up and I liked it much better than the mixer. It's super easy to clean.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 1:02 am
Well, the bread machine does save money. Flour is a dollar and a quarter a pound. The yeast, sugar, and salt don't add more than a few cents. This is a cheaper loaf of bread than at the store. You did say your hands were tired.

I also wouldn't bother with all that brown sugar, no no.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 1:46 am
but the bread machine itself was over $50, and how many years is it going to last and how many breads is it going to have to make to be cheaper than just buying bread? And how many times am I going to have to wash the pan, un-gunk the kneader, and if I find a better place, shlep it on and off the counter to use? Grrrr.

It finally finished and it doesn't even taste as good as it smelled. It's OK. I am tasting a slight machiney taste. Does that go away when it's not so new anymore? And now I need to figure out how to store it and keep it fresh. And it is huge - not necessarily such a huge quantity of bread but I mean the size of the slices in any direction will be huge.

Siiiiigh. Trying to feel loved because he INSISTS that he bought it *for me* to make me *happy* not [just] to make him fresh bread. Or something Rolling Eyes

smss

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 1:57 am
It sounds like you're TRYING to find fault with his gift. Confused I get what you are saying, but I really hope you're not saying these things to him, because ouch.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 1:59 am
Well, you were making bread at home before. This thing just does the kneading and rising for you. Your hands were tired. Just do with the finished breads whatever you did before with home made breads. A box or bags.

I would stay, at first, with the usual habit of making whatever bread you made before, just making the dough with this thing and then forming and baking in the oven as before.

For cleaning up anything to do with flour, I use a dark green wide-hole hard plastic mesh that comes on wine or whiskey bottles to keep them from banging into each other, when you buy two.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 2:16 am
The only bread I ever made at home before was challah. I am going to try doing challah dough in this as soon as I can google a good fully whole wheat recipe and get the gunk out of the kneader pieces.

Trying to visualize the dark green thing you clean with... well I guess I'll start by soaking the thing. It has this hole through it that is now full of baked-on dried up dough. Maybe the manual has something to say about this. At least it's technically made of something non-stick. I wonder if I can just leave it there because anyway if the gunk isn't coming out it won't get into my next bread....right? And it's getting hot enough to kill germs...right?

SMSS, sorry to have offended, I'm just trying to find some dry humor in this... I am just that mystified at where he could possibly have gotten this idea from. BTW I do have an amazon wishlist so it would be exceedingly easy for anyone to choose a gift for me or even get an idea of what kinds of things I'm interested in (hint: not space-consuming, work-creating, household appliances. Though I guess my wishlist might not reveal what a great idea a professional massage/spa gift certificate or a couple of hours of cleaning help would be.) I just think it's weird and funny and... yeah, annoying. Especially because I wouldn't be able to return/exchange/regift without offending - the gifter lives here and would surely notice the absence of the behemoth and the fresh bread. So I am making bread and poking fun at the whole thing at the same time. DH wouldn't appreciate the humor in this either so I have brought it to imamother instead and I sure hope he doesn't stalk me here (he definitely knows I'm here and also knows I would be asking here for bread machine recipes. Most of his favorite recipes came from imamother.)

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 2:51 am
Yes, soak it with a little detergent and get that hole cleared out. Mine has a stick not a hole; it's a Breadman. Yes find a recipe you like. There IS a bit of fiddling and pondering at first, but after you get into a routine, you will like the convenience. And you will still have home made challah, which has been part of your life, and your hands were getting tired.

He could have got you a mixer. Then you would have had to wash the mixer, put the dough into something large enough to accommodate the doubling in size, and time the rising(s). With the bread machine, it's all done for you on one box, no thinking.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 2:57 am
Oooh a stick not a hole. That's clever. Mine is Oster. It came highly rated and not toooo expensive. But it has a hole, not a stick.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I already had a mixer but could use a new blender Wink

Iymnok

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 4:05 am
Make bread for him. Whatever he likes.
I sold mine since I viewed it as a waste of space. I only owed the dough setting.
Look at the order they give to add the ingredients. Find a any recipe and halve it to fit. If you use the dough setting then you could transfer it to loaf pans for normal shaped bread.
I never liked baking the Brad in it since the mixer piece was always stuck inside and might dull my nice bread knife.

I agree with you in your disappointment. A nice mixer or blender is so much more versatile.

alef12

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 5:58 am
http://www.kingarthurflour.com.....ecipe

You can reduce the honey and it will be fine. (Read the comments and you'll see you wouldn't be the first to do that) Don't leave out the vital wheat gluten, it's essential to make a 100% whole wheat loaf that is fluffy. It's a health food store ingredient, any 100% whole wheat bread you will buy either uses it or uses flour amended with it, it may not be on the ingredient list since it is part of the flour, it is the "protein" in the flour.

(there is actually another (non bread machine) way, using sprouted wheat flour as per this book http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Re.....46514 but that's neither here nor there at the moment , I've gone down that rabbit hole but doesn't mean anyone else needs too.... LOL )

sky

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 9:15 am
I do a lot of dough in there and then shape:
- seraph's whole wheat challah is fantastic in my bread machine, but is probably too large for your machine (its really too large for my 2.5 lb machine, but I do it anyway).
- I make whole wheat rolls dough in there - whole wheat flour and honey. Its excellent.
- I've heard bread machines are fantastic for Gluten free dough because it is sticky, but I don't have experience with this.
- You can also make whole wheat pizza dough, my family likes white better so I don't do it so often, home made pizza is delicious.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics