Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
S/O HELP! 10 mos and never sleeps!-large families

Helani

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 6:21 am
Any tips from mothers of large families how to teach the youngest to sleep? In this case letting the baby cry would involve potentially waking up several sibling who have school the next day.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 7:51 am
I can't answer your question directly, since I don't have a large family. My 10 month old is my 1 and only. And I agree that if children have been 'trained' to sleep in pin-drop quiet, they will wake if/when a baby cries. But because we live in an extremely small space (think a studio apartment. Think living, sleeping, eating in 1 large room) I trained my baby from day 1 to sleep through it all: doorbells, phone ringing, tv, radio, vaccuum, loud voices, dishwasher, oven timers etc etc. We don't stop living at 6:30pm when we put her to sleep. And in daycare, she sleeps with bright lights, music and children playing (and yes, crying) in the background. This is not particularly helpful for people who have trained their older children otherwise, but might be sage advice for those starting out. To me, it's all part of sleep training and the greatest skill you can teach your children is to be good sleepers.

sky

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 9:11 am
I don't think we are a large family, but I have a few kids and 2 bedrooms so all kids are in one bedroom.
I keep baby with me in my room until about a year and with my door closed so at that point they don't hear too much.
Once I move baby to their room baby still wakes up at night to nurse and I go nurse in that room.
I think my kids are just deep sleepers, maybe when you have to share a room with a few younger sleeping siblings who all make noise I guess you get immune to noise.
I don't have a baby who cries at night now but in my kids bedroom last night there was still plenty of action:
- My 4 year old called for me to come and re-tuck her in at 4:00.
- At 1:00 and 4:30 my son's night training alarm went off, and everyone slept through it until I came to wake him up.
- They go to sleep in shifts and the earlier shift sleeps through the later shifts not so silent bedtime routine.

Some how I hear all of this in my room and it gets me up but they all stay in a deep sleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics