Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Perl Abramowitz vs. Dina Friedman classes- which one?
1  2  3  Next

sheindl

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 10:27 am
I am looking for feedback regarding either of these parenting classes- Which one did you end up taking, and why? Was it worth the cost?
At $400 for either, I want to make sure I am making the right choice! even after listening to both of their sample lectures, I cannot say that one speaks to me more than the other, as they both had interesting ideas.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 10:30 am
I never really heard of/looked into Perl Abramowitz's course. I took Dina Friedman's when it was $300 for just the CDs, no live advice. I can't honestly say I believe it was worth that, but I had done/do a lot of reading on parenting myself. Much of what she says is not her own.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 10:31 am
I don't know about Perl Abramowitz, but having taken both Dina Friedman's classes and Parenting courses by local instructors, I found classes with a live, present human being to be much more helpful, personally. There's no substitute for a mentor you can make eye-contact with and develop a connection to.

wantavaca

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 2:42 pm
Dina Friedman is life changing if u put in the work. Dina taught me how to b a mother...and a good one at that☺️
I never heard p abramowitz.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 3:40 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't know about Perl Abramowitz, but having taken both Dina Friedman's classes and Parenting courses by local instructors, I found classes with a live, present human being to be much more helpful, personally. There's no substitute for a mentor you can make eye-contact with and develop a connection to.

Wow, where are there live instructors on Dina Friedman's course? I'd love to revisit her parenting class again but only in person.

Cookie Monster

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 6:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Wow, where are there live instructors on Dina Friedman's course? I'd love to revisit her parenting class again but only in person.

She is saying that live instructors were more helpful VERSUS Dina Friedman's prerecorded classes. I totally agree with her.

Last edited by Cookie Monster on Sat, Nov 14 2015, 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 6:58 pm
I think Chayalle was saying that compared to both the ones mentioned, she found local instructors more helpful due to the personal connection.

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 6:00 am
Well, obviously, an in person class is ideal, but that's not an option for everyone!

I have taken both courses, at different times in my life.

They are very similar in that the focus is working on YOU-- controlling your emotions/reactions. They are less about discipline/punishment (while they do have that component) then they are about "I'm the adult here, and it's my responsibility to model behavior that I want my child to emulate."

I don't know what Perel's class is like now-- when I took it, it was only 10 weeks long.

Dina's class is MUCH, MUCH more in depth. 30+ classes, plus the Q& A sessions.

Perel's tone and style is much more entertaining/lighter. She gives lots of stories, and says witty comments ("I only lecture when I'm being paid." and "My son had tantrum on 13th avenue, and I'm the parenting teacher!!"). Lots of times, when you are listening, she will say something that will make you smile/chuckle. Perel is so impressive-- she has shared a lot about her personal journey to being a calm person. I believe Perel was trained by Miriam Adahan.

Dina is much more serious and much deeper. Once in a while there are a few concepts that I', like, "Huh?" she doesn't share as much personal information.

It's not a question of one being better than the other-- it's simply what speaks to you more. If they are both the same price, then my inclination would be to go for Dina's class, since it is much more comprehensive (that could have changed by now)-- how many sessions is Perel's?

sheindl

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:48 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Well, obviously, an in person class is ideal, but that's not an option for everyone!

I have taken both courses, at different times in my life.

They are very similar in that the focus is working on YOU-- controlling your emotions/reactions. They are less about discipline/punishment (while they do have that component) then they are about "I'm the adult here, and it's my responsibility to model behavior that I want my child to emulate."

I don't know what Perel's class is like now-- when I took it, it was only 10 weeks long.

Dina's class is MUCH, MUCH more in depth. 30+ classes, plus the Q& A sessions.

Perel's tone and style is much more entertaining/lighter. She gives lots of stories, and says witty comments ("I only lecture when I'm being paid." and "My son had tantrum on 13th avenue, and I'm the parenting teacher!!"). Lots of times, when you are listening, she will say something that will make you smile/chuckle. Perel is so impressive-- she has shared a lot about her personal journey to being a calm person. I believe Perel was trained by Miriam Adahan.

Dina is much more serious and much deeper. Once in a while there are a few concepts that I', like, "Huh?" she doesn't share as much personal information.

It's not a question of one being better than the other-- it's simply what speaks to you more. If they are both the same price, then my inclination would be to go for Dina's class, since it is much more comprehensive (that could have changed by now)-- how many sessions is Perel's?

There are 10 sessions in Perel's classes, whereas Dina's has 38, plus much more in bonus material. It seems to be a year long course as well.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:53 pm
Cookie Monster wrote:
She is saying that live instructors were more helpful VERSUS Dina Friedman's prerecorded classes. I totally agree with her.

Yes that's what I meant.

In Lakewood there's a series of classes given in levels over a course of 2-3 years by Torah U'mesorah instructors, called Project Reach. I found it to be helpful because sitting in front of the instructor, talking to other mothers in the group, forming connections and having someone real that I could reach out to in a specific situation...helped me more.

If you have something like this where you live, go for it. It's great!

sky

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:19 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Yes that's what I meant.

In Lakewood there's a series of classes given in levels over a course of 2-3 years by Torah U'mesorah instructors, called Project Reach. I found it to be helpful because sitting in front of the instructor, talking to other mothers in the group, forming connections and having someone real that I could reach out to in a specific situation...helped me more.

If you have something like this where you live, go for it. It's great!

I know what you mean. I took the same course. It was a few women all in the same stage of life sitting around a dining room table. There was a lot of give and take, activities, sharing. I felt the advise was very personal.

I got a lot out of it. I wish I implemented it more and look forward to the next mass review (they had a complimentary one a while ago and it was a fantastic, fun review).

smss

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:07 pm
Perl Abramowitz charges $400 for 10 classes??? OK now I don't think Dina's is so overpriced anymore.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:36 pm
I took perls classes and they changed my life!
Alot of intuition, wisdom and fun to hear. I saw that she has an option to join live for some of the sessions.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 5:07 pm
bumping up this thread. I have heard positive feedback for both of these courses.
I have a five year old who is very smart and active, and has difficulty accepting authority. For example, when I say it is time to do xyz, he says, "It's not."
I also have a two year old and a baby.
What do you all think?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 5:16 pm
I would say Perel' style is more personable and friendly in tone, while Dina's style has a more spiritual, deep feeling. Both are an extremely important investment, both will be well worth the money.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 5:18 pm
Depends on your style.
I took both.
I prefer Perl.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 6:24 pm
I never took pearl. Took Dina’s years ago and it was life changing. I’ve since moved onto some of her other classes and they are truly amazing.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 8:30 pm
I only took Dinah friedman's course. It is very comprehensive and touches basically everything. And even so I felt like I was missing so much. I had a hard time assimilating and making sense of the information. It could be that for others it appears more clear. Another thing that I had a hard time with was that she only starts the discipline halfway through the year (she does a simple discipline technique about four lessons in) so if you have a really difficult child than that is a long time to wait. Still it did turn things around for me and at least it got me going in a really good direction. I would like to add that recently I have become a huge fan of jo frost. She has some books and has done some TV shows (supernanny specifically) I started using her advice and I feel like a different mother. It could be that for me being able to see the situation live was more helpful than tips in a speech.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 8:59 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I agree, my friends swore by Dina Friedman so I paid the full $300 upfront and never got through one session. Telephone courses just put me to sleep!!
My DH was not happy about throwing $300 down the drain but it was really not easy not seeing the person in front of me it and I couldn't focus . So I don't believe in teleconferences anymore after that.

Surrendered

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 10:07 pm
(I know both)
Dina!!! She's very practical, ez to understand, gives you hands on guidance for each and every Type of child- breaks it down very clear, you get to know your child through and through. Go for it, you won't regret it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics